Magura Marta Sl Reviews

Sam Song

I'm looking for alternatives to Hope trials front brake.

While Hope works great for the first 6 months. They just don't work very well long term.

What would be some alternatives I could consider?

I was looking at Magura Marta and Magura Louise?

Any other brakes?

Shimano, Formula, avid, etc??

And please don't say "get a bb7", I know and I already have a bb7 but looking for hydraulic brake with a bit of modulation as well.

And about Magura Marta, any significant difference between 2010 and 2011 version?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=30617

I'm thinking of getting this from CR. This is 2010 model on sale.

Hopes are fine long-term if you look after them/ have some mechanical knowledge. Have you ever owned one or is this just based on forum hearsay?

Until 2 months a go or so i was running a Mono Trial that was 6 years old and it was spot on, only changed because a Tech came up for a decent price.

I agree with the 6 month shelf life of Hopes, I must have had about 10 Hope mono trials now and they all were great for a few months, then just go downhill and changing pads, rotors, bleeds would make never them work as well as they did when new.

As for the Marta, Stan had one on the front of his bike and it was pretty good, one of the most powerful brakes I have felt actually. I think he's had a couple of leak issues but Magura seemed to changed them for him. The only thing is that Stan never really falls off, after a year of riding his rotor still didn't rub, so I can't comment on their strength.

I agree with the 6 month shelf life of Hopes, I must have had about 10 Hope mono trials now and they all were great for a few months, then just go downhill and changing pads, rotors, bleeds would make never them work as well as they did when new.

You are doing it wrong Ala ;)

I can confirm that Stan's front Marta was a monster.

Hopes are fine long-term if you look after them/ have some mechanical knowledge. Have you ever owned one or is this just based on forum hearsay?

Until 2 months a go or so i was running a Mono Trial that was 6 years old and it was spot on, only changed because a Tech came up for a decent price.

Yup I have a hope trials that I'm not quite happy with.

Modulation is good, but no locking power...

I'll try the saint and see how it works out, but since I do not like centerlock shimano disks,

Hope saw disk works with Shimano saint right?

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/disc_brake_rotors/hope_saw/c76p10156.html

Yup I have a hope trials that I'm not quite happy with.

Modulation is good, but no locking power...

I'll try the saint and see how it works out, but since I do not like centerlock shimano disks,

Hope saw disk works with Shimano saint right?

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/disc_brake_rotors/hope_saw/c76p10156.html

Any disc works with any brake. Its just the hub type thats different. Saints are really good, the only thing im not that keen on is the fact that if you pull the lever a few times the bite point will get further away then if you leave it for a few seconds it'll go back to where it originally was. They're also a similar weight to hopes at 340g each W/O mounting stuff or rotors.

428050_401430986540278_100000201410737_1745723_1303205293_n.jpg

Edited by Laurence--Trials

Saints are really good, the only thing im not that keen on is the fact that if you pull the lever a few times the bite point will get further away then if you leave it for a few seconds it'll go back to where it originally was.

428050_401430986540278_100000201410737_1745723_1303205293_n.jpg

If you have this problem,there´s probably air in the system,so you should try to give it a new bleed ;)

You appear to like Saint brakes a LOT. A bit too much actually, it's getting slightly suspicious.

Theyre my girlfriend :shifty:

Your scales are either broke or heavily biased towards Saints :giggle:

Nope, they're not the most accurate scales but they're not going to be a few hundred grams out. Thats without rotor (obv' hence the picture)

Its had a cupple of bleeds alex (alex trials boy on here) has duel saints on his mod and his do the same, we gave his a fresh bleed a week or two ago so its not the bleed. Either way its not a major problem, they do their job at the end of the day.

Mine doesn´t do it(even though I don´t use the saint caliper)and it deffo shouldn´t be doing this.