The Good Book Thread

o0jack0o

Hi,

As far as I am aware there isn't a topic for this; not sure if it's because it may be social suicide or just because nobody has thought of doing it but here goes.

Basically I thought it might be useful to share a few good books that you have read, with all the avid readers on the forum, who like to immerse themselves in another world from time to time - Pretty much when you can't ride due to the UK weather!

So just post the name of the book along with the author/s of books you would recommend as a good read for others. It may also be useful for you to post the genre/s.

Here are some (Yes some) of mine:

- Inheritance Cycle series by Christopher Paolini (Fantasy, Adventure, Action)

- The Edge Chronicles series by Paul Stewart and Chris Riddle (Fantasy, Adventure)

- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series by Douglas Adams (Sci-Fi, Adventure)

- The Great Dune Trilogy by Frank Herbert (Sci-Fi, Adventure)

- The Dwarves series by Markus Heitz (Fantasy, Adventure)

- Harry Potter by you (should) know who (Fantasy, Adventure, Action)

- Journey to the Center of the Earth and The Mysterious Island by Jules Verne (Adventure, Fantasy)

- Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R Martin (Action, Adventure)

- Twilight Saga by Stephenie Mayer (Romance, Fantasy, Action) Not my normal style but suprisingly good

- Dragon Master by Chris Bunch (Fantasy, Adventure, Action, Romance)

- The Black Magician Trilogy by Trudi Canavan (Fantasy, Action, Adventure)

- The Lord of the Rings by J R. R. Tolkein (Fantasy, Action, Adventure)

Edited by o0jack0o

You'd think this was self explanatory, but while it was loading I was thinking it would be a thread about the Bible...

Now I'm here though:

- A million little pieces (forget the author)

- Fight Club

- Steve Jobs' Biography

Can't remember any others I've liked recently.

• Like 1

Haha! Can't beleive how much i laughed when i read that - I see what you mean.

Have been thinking about reading the Jobs biography as doing a lot of Apple related research in Business at college. Might give it a try once i'm done on my current books.

Really got back into reading recently, books are f**king awesome. I think my current 'favourite book evarz' is the original scroll version of "On The Road" by Kerouac. It's f**king amazing. I used to read loads when I was younger, but I've never really finished a book then instantly wanted to read it again. I totally did with On The Road - I haven't read anything like it. The style of writing is all kinds of awesome and the narrative is really interesting/gripping. Bueno!

Aside from that, Fight Club, any Hunter S. Thompson stuff and "And Then We Came To The End" (<- really f**king good too!) all immediately spring to mind. Currently working through "One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest". I'd heard lots about it but never really took the time to check it out, so I headed to the shop and picked up a copy. Enjoying it so far.

In semi-related news, I find it really hard to articulate just how much I hate The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy. See also: Monty Python.

Really got back into reading recently, books are f**king awesome. I think my current 'favourite book evarz' is the original scroll version of "On The Road" by Kerouac. It's f**king amazing. I used to read loads when I was younger, but I've never really finished a book then instantly wanted to read it again. I totally did with On The Road - I haven't read anything like it. The style of writing is all kinds of awesome and the narrative is really interesting/gripping. Bueno!

Aside from that, Fight Club, any Hunter S. Thompson stuff and "And Then We Came To The End" (<- really f**king good too!) all immediately spring to mind. Currently working through "One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest". I'd heard lots about it but never really took the time to check it out, so I headed to the shop and picked up a copy. Enjoying it so far.

In semi-related news, I find it really hard to articulate just how much I hate The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy. See also: Monty Python.

I'll have to check that book out too and yeah i know what you mean with hitchhikers. Some parts i thought were really interesting but quite frequently i just got confused and i also found it a little slow at stages. The film for it was cool though..

been waiting for something like this.

A song of ice and fire george rr martin probably one of my favourite series loving the show as well currently most of the way threw book 3 part 1.

Night watch, Day watch, twilight watch and The last watch are a good series by a russian author.

Agree with anything hunter S tompson.

Thought about opening a thread like this 2 days ago too :)

I don't know, but out of some reason I like reading books where the story is set between 1880 and 1950. No idea why.

Read "Mr. Standfast" by John Buchan last. Thought it was great. Very gripping to read. But that might also be because I hadn't read in a while.

Edited by Hopping_Topsy

Currently working through "One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest". I'd heard lots about it but never really took the time to check it out, so I headed to the shop and picked up a copy. Enjoying it so far.

Have you seen the movie? I saw it a few weeks ago and thought it was one of those ones were the book was better, even though the movie is still really good.

Read 1984 and thought that was good, but agree that just filling tonnes of pages with the book within the book was partially lazy writing.

Have you seen the movie? I saw it a few weeks ago and thought it was one of those ones were the book was better, even though the movie is still really good.

I haven't seen it as it happens. It sort of seems from reading the book that there's a lot of sort of subtlety in the way that it's written that would probably be lost in a film.

Couple of my favorite series you may like OP.

Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson is definitely worth a read. There are also some novels by Ian Cameron Esslemont that are set in the same universe that are worth a read too.

Foundation series by Isaac Asimov, still some of the best science fiction stuff (Y)

Anyone got any recommendations for stuff in a similar vein to the first 2 Dune trilogies?