Motorcycle Licence

hI-OOPS-CAPS

I had an automatic moped (honda airblade 110) for one year in Bangkok, with no legal documentation of course - such a thing is a hindrance. I fancy a bike in UK now and Im over 21. Is it too much for a first bike to be something like a Suzuki SV650? Or how about a Honda 400?

Also, 500£ is a lot to part with for your CBT, a few lessons and your bike test at the end. Are the packages the best way to get your unrestricted licence or is it best doing these things individually. I ask, because at the risk of sounding cocky, I reckon I can do 2 or 3 lessons before my test. Also are the practical tests hard?

I have been riding trials motorbikes since I was 13 and it still cost me a fortune. I had about 6-7 lessons I think.

I'd personally recommend doing a direct access week long package. Yes it's £500 or so, but it's worth it to get it done.

agree with muel on this probably best to go for like a package with test at the end just get it over and done with.

the sv 650 will be fine for a first big bike if you have experience on 2 wheels, plus with something a bit bigger you probably wont feel the need to go bigger again as soon. Ive ridden a 600 for 3 years now and im only just looking into getting something bigger as a 600 does everything you need will keep up with the bigger bikes in most conditions just not quite as much umph to it. ( correct technical wording there)

IMO direct access is so dangerous as it gives riders with no experience a full licence in a week when they haven't got any experience and can jump straight on a 1400cc. However ff you've got eperience and only want an SV that that's probably your best option, they're very manageable bikes and a solid 1st choice. .

You can drive any car you like once you've passed the test? There's no limit.

The test is as it is. It tests that you can ride safely, if you can do it, then you're safe to ride anything. I'm confident I could teach someone to ride a hayabusa on the road in a week. Teaching them to behave themselves though is a different matter.

Fed up of the nanny state telling us we can do some things and not others... I think it's far more dangerous to ride little 10bhp bikes for a few years, get a bad case of littlebikesyndrome then jump on a big bike and go mental.

Edited by Muel

Just because it'd big and fast doesn't make it hard to ride... Ever tried to ride a classic British bike? They are FAR more dangerous to ride at sensible speeds than any modern superbike.

Don't open the throttle very far and it's possibly the safest bike you'll ever ride. Tons of grip, fantastic weight distribution, brakes so good you can stoppie with 1 finger and really bright lights that even bus drivers can see?

Ever tried to ride a classic British bike? They are FAR more dangerous to ride at sensible speeds than any modern superbike.

Yes. If I wanted to go fast on the Vello I would open up the throttle and peak change every gear, you do that on a Hybussa and you will be into the back of the car in front at 140mph before you blink. I started a rant on this but its not worth it. If you think you can. Great.

Sorry to go a bit off topic here guys, but how would i go about getting my full licence? I'm currently on a little 50cc moped but i want to get something bigger. I know i can get a 125cc on my CBT but when that runs out where do i go? Sorry for sounding silly but thought this would be a place to ask :)

Thanks!

How often can you do 140mph? Fact is that modern cars (and therefore modern traffic) move fast. Any modern car can go round bends at 60mph that are a real challenge for small bikes, or old bikes. A Hayabusa is such a capable bike you don't even need to think about going round the same corner at the same speed. To get my MZ round any corner at 60mph you need to be 100% committed and on the limit of what it will do. This is not remotely safe, whereas a Hayabusa would be far safer.

If you're talking about riding like a twat and going as fast as the bike will go (not how fast the rider can go), then any bike is dangerous.

I still need to do a CBT do I? And then I'm thinking maybe 3 or 4 lessons (my road theory is good from 10 years of car driving) and trying the test.

Unfortunately it isn't quite that simple due to the extra hoops they've introduced for you to jump through. Yes you'll still have to do CBT, bike theory test and then the relevant sections of the full bike test but probably worth contacting your local bike school as a lot of them offer free sessions to determine your level.

(my road theory is good from 10 years of car driving)

Also cos' I'd just done my car theory I thought I'd be alright with my motorbike theory but I failed it 3 times. All the questions are (were) really obscure and specific.