The Trial Of Art [Hdr]

Martin Direske

I was asked to participate in a project by TheMotionCircle back in the day (a quite popular MTB-filmer over here) since he wanted to try two new things he had been wondering about for a while: Trying to make a Trials edit as well as making use of HDR in such a video for the first time. So I couldn't refuse and we started filming in winter last year :)

This is what came around and anybody who knows about HDR might tell from the video how much time he spent in front of the PC to make it look this way ( e.g. he spoke of 315GB of footage :blink:)

I was actually surprised when I watched it for the first time earlier this evening..

Have fun!

Martin

• Like 2

nice riding which the effects ruined.

that's perhaps a little harsh, but when watching it I found my attention was being drawn to the effect rather than the riding and I honestly believe riding should always come before anything else. As a result of the effect I can't really remember the video at all, not exactly the result you want at the end of a video.

that's perhaps a little harsh, but when watching it I found my attention was being drawn to the effect rather than the riding and I honestly believe riding should always come before anything else. As a result of the effect I can't really remember the video at all, not exactly the result you want at the end of a video.

This.

Also made my eyes go funny :ermm:

So true. As soon as I'd noticed the glow around the rider I spent my time looking for which clips had it more noticeably than others. Watched it yesterday, couldn't even recollect one move now - just that damn glow. It looked pretty, but that's pretty worthless if it take away from the substance.

Isn't hdr in stills done by taking over and underexposed and combining? Which means that it really is just an effect with possibly some tracking to pick out individual bits? It would have been great if the rider looked ok but the big glow and blur, and general proccessedness of it just detracted from the decent filming and riding. Would have preferred some nice colours simply done.

That's exactly what he expected: on one hand there are people being amazed by this way of editing and then there those that just find it kind of disturbing. No problem :)

In the end it's up to you to decide whether its cool or not, I myself think it's strange but rather in a positive way since its just different. However, I must agree that it's more about the edit than the riding, which he also is aware of since it was a project ;)

Forgot about this badboy:

originalttoa5ij9vgw4bf1.jpg

• Like 1