Xc Bike With Touch Of Trials?

Skorp

Hi

I'm starting at school again this summer. I can't really afford a car that i want, and have low maintenance cost.Even if i had a good car i would need to meet 1hour early to get a parking spot ( i have a MK1 Golf and a Audi 200 20vt, the golf is just old and it could easily not start one morning.. and with the audi, only the fuelprice for driving to school would be more than taking the buss)...So i will try biking. Since the road to the school is pretty fun and only takes around 10-15min to the school and 20home.I do also have several good paths to choose from.

I have been gathering parts from some friends garage to build myself a school bike. Altough the frame i got, is a gravel racer framme. I would really love to have somthing more fun. So what are the options? I'm considering to order a marino with a oldschool trials geometry, only with a 17-20" seattube!

Spec ive got so far is pretty good for a almost free bike.. Shimano SLX cranck with one 36T cog, Mavic Crossride wheels, Echo Urban fork, Onza 20*75mm stem, Born Carbon handlebar, Sram X-9 rear gears, some continental tyres, Formula K18 brakes on SLX rotors, .

The frame is a norwegian brand. HardRocx somthing, weighs nothing but have a really low crank and are wuite long.

The geometry i'm thinking to do is 1100wb, 385cs, 72ha and 0bb. i have not made up my mind about The seattube angle and seattube length.

But i guess somthing like 74-73 would be ok, and maybe a 17-18" frame.. So that it could be used for actual biking, and i could put down my seat and do some small trialsin.

Whats your thoughts? Does anyone really oldschool remember some geos from back in the days where small Xc bikes where the best for trials?

Edited by Skorp

Not sure bout overall geo but I reckon you could get away with something as small as a 14-15" frame. Maybe if you could find the geo of the old Heavy Tools Trials frame that would do the job, had one myself and was great for getting from a to b as well as doing trials!

Not sure bout overall geo but I reckon you could get away with something as small as a 14-15" frame. Maybe if you could find the geo of the old Heavy Tools Trials frame that would do the job, had one myself and was great for getting from a to b as well as doing trials!

yeah, that's way to small in my eyes.. i have a Koxx Racingcode frame, but the previous owner cut of where you tighten the seattube.. so only a wedge can fit >_< I think the geo on that is around what i want, except the wb is 1040.. and the size of the frame is like 14"

I would have to check some sizes before i order.. im not really shure what i need :rolleyes:

Nice bike!

The size didn't really look that bad. altough, im thinking about to use this more as a mtb and schoolbike than a trials bike. This is not going to be a ridable trials frame! I already have a 24" street, and a proper trials bike. I also have my Koxx Racingcode i could put together if i wanted somthing like that.

You can ride any bike for trials moves just in a different way. Sounds like a good spec, a Marino would be cool but any mountain bike frame is good enough.

Offcourse... its like your saying to somone who wants to start up with trials " you don't need a trial specific bike at all, what you really need is a 40£ 20" kids bike from WalMart. You can do trials moves on that too." :rolleyes:

The frame i got now is really long.. and feels even longer because of steep head angle. Also the chainstay is ridicoulus long and the bb is low. Its like a 26" road bike.

Most decent MTB's in norway are never really used offroad..they are only used on fast gravel roads. This frame is made for axactly that. NOT to ride over anything bigger than a pothole.

But yeah.. i understand what you meen. I had a Cyclocross bike some summers ago, as the trials rider i am, i ended up doing sidehops and pedal ups on it. My mums shop cruiser broke during a drop too.. the frame and rear wheel collapsed when i was on my way to school.

Hi

( i have a MK1 Golf and a Audi 200 20vt, the golf is just old and it could easily not start one morning.. and with the audi, only the fuelprice for driving to school would be more than taking the buss)

my mate had a 2.6 audi 200 automatic, used to put it in 2nd gear at the lights and it beat anything, lambos, ferraris..... and as for the mk1 golf u should just service it and it be fine... :D

How tall are you? I really enjoy getting around on my Norco 250, it doesn't bother me at all that the seats very low and it's only got one gear, it's just a different riding style when you're on it. The short rear end makes it very chuckable and nimble, and the relatively long front end makes it stable enough at speed when you get to a bumpy down hill section. It's a bit tiring, but for a 15/20 minute ride that shouldn't be too much of a big deal. I'm sure if I wasn't worried about it getting stolen I'd ride it to uni regularly instead of my road bike just because it makes me grin riding it.

The geometry you've picked out sounds very long. Most of the old XC frames people used to ride for trials would have been something like 1050 at the longest.

my mate had a 2.6 audi 200 automatic, used to put it in 2nd gear at the lights and it beat anything, lambos, ferraris..... and as for the mk1 golf u should just service it and it be fine... :D

hehe,thanks for offtopic ;)

I guess it was the same engine as mine? 2.2 inline five with turbo? the 2.6 was not deliverd on the 200 chassie. Only came on the later c4 100/a6 chassie :)

The golf is in good condition..but it will rust too fast if i drive it daily. I do really not want any parking dents or scratches on that car either.. Going to do some work on the engine so it can keep up with the Autoslalom guys too, then it will not fit as a daily driver :)

Make myself a intake, exhaust, mount four mikuni carbs etc. Just for the experience, as the 1.1L engine wount really tune that well without heavy mods.

Edited by Skorp

Mk1/2 golfs are the nicest cars ever, if only they came in 1.4 rwd with abs and power steering so I could use it as a daily car

i've fallen in love with a mk1 polo (the one made by Audi not the ugly breadvan) recently, seen one up for sale as well but trying to keep it under my hat untill I have money! :D