Forum Upgrade

As above, seem to get them everyday with new accounts. Could we not have it so the mods or admin have to authorise an account when signing up before people can post like on other forums or would it cause too much crap in your mailboxes??

Please please please Please please please Please please please Please please please Please please please Please please please Please please please Please please please Please please please Please please please Bring back the old validation system?!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It would have been great in theory, but it never really took off. I'm going to try and take a "if it aint broken, don't fix it" approach in future.. I like to tinker too much :P

The classifieds forums have worked pretty well for the past 10 years so may as well leave it be.

The link was removed about 2 weeks ago - maybe more! you're the first person to realise (first person to mention it, at least)

• Like 1

On the flip side, I much prefer the classifieds section as it is, but there are obvious swings and roundabouts to each method.

If perhaps there was a template in place so threads had to follow a decent format perhaps it'd solve the main issues it has (ie. the majority of people post SHIT ads...) ?

Maybe a FS section mod or two could be put in place to try and keep on top of things a little and stop the bullshit clogging as many threads as it currently does?

Can't win :P

Haha, yeah, people who post (like me) with criticisms of the forum are coming from a 'user only' perspective, and not as a user/admin for the forum. It's pretty obvious that the buy/sell would never flourish with the original subforum remaining. But if getting rid of that would mean another bunch of TF users ditching the forum then fair enough. It's a massive shame that apparently trials riders are pussies when it comes to any slight change in TF that they have to flee the site at minute change even though it's for the greater good.

I'd personally say f**k it and go ahead and make the drastic changes, as we discussed in another topic the need for TF has dropped drastically since the opening of tartybikes and the growth of the sport so I think it's fair to say TF is in no win situation anyway, might as well go ahead and make changes to keep the forum modern and user friendly with regards to buying and selling on the forum which has now become the heart of the forum. You've got a 2nd hand biketrials part you want to sell there's only one place to come to. Can't go to tartybikes for that!

On the flip side, I much prefer the classifieds section as it is, but there are obvious swings and roundabouts to each method.

If perhaps there was a template in place so threads had to follow a decent format perhaps it'd solve the main issues it has (ie. the majority of people post SHIT ads...) ?

Maybe a FS section mod or two could be put in place to try and keep on top of things a little and stop the bullshit clogging as many threads as it currently does?

Wasn't that exactly what buy/sell actually did though? I honestly never used it once, and now it's gone can't refer back to it, but didn't it break down forks/frames/drivetrain etc? It seems like you're saying you prefer the old system, but It needs to be like the new system more? The buy/sell system was the template so people had to follow the set format. I seem to recall the only problem with it is that 50% of the members never actually used it because both systems were in place.

Edited by JT!

Yeah, it'd be somewhat of a middle ground between the two. :)

The current system is handy for sellers listing a lot of parts and for keeping it all in one place etc. It's nice and quick for buyers to scan through lots of parts in a short space of time. Granted, the BuySell system allows the latter too but it's a bit more time and effort for sellers.

Then again, sellers putting a bit more effort in is far from a bad thing :rolleyes:

There is some sort of topic template system we could use which could make the classifieds forum a bit more structured, but both that 'solution' and the BuySell system fail as soon as a user wants to list more than one item in a single topic/advert.

The BuySell thing is great (looks awesome) if you want to list one item at a time, but on TF its rare that a user lists a single item - its usually a selection of parts all listed in one go..I'm also not totally convinced on the question/answer thing it had, personally I prefer having a bunch of replies on a topic. Swings and roundabouts..

• Like 1

It would have been great in theory, but it never really took off. I'm going to try and take a "if it aint broken, don't fix it" approach in future.. I like to tinker too much :P

The classifieds forums have worked pretty well for the past 10 years so may as well leave it be.

The link was removed about 2 weeks ago - maybe more! you're the first person to realise (first person to mention it, at least)

Just an idea, probably brought up a number of times...but maybe selecting a category for the item/items you're selling and have like a tab that's on the thread title?

Don't know if that's even possible?

EDIT: Shouldn't have been lazy and read the rest of the thread. Could have...

• Frames
  • Forks
  • Brakes
  • Wheels
  • Jumble Sale
  • ETC?

Edited by Luke Dunstan

Could really just do with clamping down on people replying on a for sale topic when they're not interested, like when people just put stuff like "ooh nice bike, free bump" wheich really pisses me off as a seller cause you see a reply and expect some interest.

If it's not an offer or genuine question it shouldn't be there. Post deleting mission ahoy.........

• Like 1