The Car Thread

MadManMike

Easy enough to do, but you won't do it for £50, and 2 hours would be ambitious for somebody that hadn't done it before.

You've got to take the wishbone out to change the bush, so you might as well change ALL the bushes, seeing as if one lot are worn, the others won't be far behind. A complete set of wishbones is about £30-£40 off eBay (which comes with ALL the bushes, inc ball joints), where as you'll pay £10-£15 for just the bushes, so its probably more cost effective to buy a complete set rather than pissing about getting the bush in and out (need fire and a hacksaw to get it out, and a big vice to get them back in)

Track rod end could be a pig if its seized on, I would spray shit loads of plus gas on it and let it soak before trying it. Failing that, heat will help. Expect to pay about £15 a pair (may as well get a pair, seeing as you'll be in that area anyway).

With regards to the rear spring, ideally you replace them in pairs, but that might bump the price up. Probably best to check eBay for Leons being broken. The 2 red, 2 silver indicates which spring it is, although because its a rear spring its not so vital. You can use rear springs from any mk4 chassis car. Probably £10-£20 for a second hand pair.

Rear springs are easy to change, but you HAVE to drop both sides at once, or it is 10x more difficult. To change the spring (once you've taken the wheel off!), undo the bottom shock bolt on both sides of the car, and you can then lever the rear beam down, and the springs should fall out. Make sure you put the rubber platforms back on the replacement springs though! Then jack the bean back up, and bolt the shocks on. Half hour should be PLENTY. (I put my rear coilovers on in 10 minutes doing it that way, and that included new shocks!).

Easily done for under £100, and if you haven't done it before, probably 3-4 hours. You'll need to get the alignment checked after though...

good info - cheers.

yeah - I was worried about big vice work and bushes, its not something I really have access to.

I guess Ill wait until my dad gets me his quotes - its a bit of a knackered 200k car, so he doesn't really want to spend too much on it, but my current situation means that 4 hours would probably be too much.

I also hadn't figured in alignment.

Talking of VW/Audi bits, I think I've made the decision to sling a 20vt into the Scirocco. I don't suppose anyone knows of one for sale for sensible money do they? I'm ideally looking for an AGU complete with loom, ECU, fuel pump, gearbox etc, so preferably a whole car being broken. I'd get a whole car and break it myself, but I just don't have the time or space to do it, so I'll have to put up with paying a little extra for it unfortunately.

Also any links to guides or just diagrams for the wiring would be great, I need to do the mechanical side of it in about a week really, which I'm confident I can do, but I'll need to sort the wiring first really, especially if I end up having to keep the donor cars clocks.

• Like 2

YES ROBIN; easiest and best engine conversion by miiiiiles.

I'll keep an ear to the ground; been seeing non runners and crashed cars got for £2/300 over the last couple of months.

Qpeng is your best bet for conversion looms and wiring diagrams.

I wondered why you popped up on Facebook chat the other night; clearly to talk about this. I'll be on tonight though. x

Edited by Pashley26

It's far from the 'easiest' swap! A 2l 16v would be the sensible choice, as it'd go in on the original mounts. But I figure with it becoming my daily again, I'd rather do things properly first time around. I like how efficient and smooth the 20vt's are, and it gives me lots of scope for the future without having to take the car off the road for any real length of time.

The Qpeng kits look good, but they also cost more than I'm wanting to spend on everything to do with the engine! haha. You've met me before yeah? Everything on it will be done DIY, I basically just want to wedge a bunch of OEM 1.8t golf/A3 parts into the Scirocco for now, I'm hoping it'll need very few parts that I can't get off the donor car or make my self. I'll start the modifying later, but the plans will only ever be a k03s, a remap and a home brew 2.5" exhaust system. Should see ~230bhp done well, which I'd be more than happy with in the 900kg 'rocco!

Yeah, I was wanting to see if you knew of anything about really, as you seem to keep an eye on the Audi forums that I never really venture onto.

• Like 1

Cool. Thinking about it I really don't mind running the A3/mk4 clocks at all, my scirocco ones are pretty crap and probably wont mate up with the box anyway. The only gauge in the 'rocco that comes from the car not the engine's the fuel level, but I'm tempted to use the donor cars in-tank pump and sensor, and then even that would work if I wire it right. My only worry with that is where in the loom the clocks sit, as I don't really want to go messing around with the car loom too much, because I doubt a breakers yard will enjoy removing it, and I won't enjoy trying to find space for it in the 'rocco.

The downside of all this is that it'll probably end up sat on another set of mundane wheels for now, as this is adding up to enough money that I doubt I'll have spare for a nice new set like I'd planned. Still, that can be done later, I'd rather get everything that might need it taking off the road done now so I can enjoy it as a bit of a rolling project until I'm in a position to get going again with the mini properly.

Bonjour ladies,

My Leon is the 90bhp 1.9TDI (Also known as the most underpowered of all the 1.9's). I have three questions:

1) Is it worth getting it mapped?

2) How much would be reasonable to get it done?

3) Where is the best place in the south east? (I'd happily drive a way, but not all the way oop norrrth)

Cheers.

Car all ready for a rallysprint comp tomorrow. 280 teams = going to be boring as f**k, mostly waiting in line for your run. But with over 40 cars in my class, and some really good drivers, it will give me a good idea of where I and this car stand. Deffo not going to have a podium finish unless I have a lot of luck.

dsc01016ug.jpg

Also a remedy for the half shaft bolts which keep coming loose:

dsc01018z.jpg

And it's very colourful outside so my dad took my car and took some pics alongside his.

dsc00984ga.jpg

dsc00986mi.jpg

Edited by Greetings
  • Like 1

Looks incredible alex, massively jealous.

My passats started to get a bit of a weird fault.. sometimes it starts an runs like a dream, other times it just about cracks up then just goes back to turning over on the starter. Once its running thou its perfect again.

Any ideas? My first thought is deisel pump. When it almost starts its like its ran out of fuel (used the fuel in the filter), so then take 10-15 seconds of cranking over to get fuel again. Any other suggestions?

Spec, 2007 1.9tdi, 105bhp

Try parking on a hill, nose up should be harder to start than nose down if there is air getting into the system

Paul you hero, I'd forgotten all about that. Could be the solution then.

Just picked up my winter wheels from New tyres an balancing. Gonna hate having pixie boots on my car instead of IRS big boots!