The Car Thread

MadManMike

1 hour ago, MadManMike said:

I'd say vans are more than welcome, especially troll vans like that, haha.

You've gotta book it on a track day, that would be amazing.

Thanks! Will have to dig out some videos.

Yeah I have been tempted. My friend took his van around brands indy but was given a refund at lunch and asked not to continue!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Joe Sheehan said:

Thanks! Will have to dig out some videos.

Yeah I have been tempted. My friend took his van around brands indy but was given a refund at lunch and asked not to continue!

Amazing!

What were their reasons?

Too slow or just considered unsafe?

5 hours ago, MadManMike said:

Amazing!

What were their reasons?

Too slow or just considered unsafe?

Yeah too slow, was a high top LWB transit. Just a mobile chicane, even though he emptied it and was flat out. I did get an invite to Silverstone in November with javelin. If I get some decent wheels on, I'd be tempted!

Injector killing piece of wank...

20181021_164928.thumb.jpg.39b0ffa2f37aeae5aff1bed35b3457a7.jpg

Don't really know what to do, as injector 3 and 4 have failed.

Considering it's mileage and damaged history I'd expect to get around 4500ish for it, do I spend nearly 1000 on it for the 2 injectors or do I just cut losses? Not sure...

The 1600s did from around 2011-2013, VW swapped from Bosch injectors to some budget brand that generally just fail. I've done well to get to 100k miles before a problem it seems, usually they're dead at 50k.

The issue is the electrical wrap around the injector breaks down (from my vast forum research) so returns are good for a week or 2 as they can't recreate the factory marginally better wrap.

Got a Civic I’ve bought in for breaking tonight and found it was fitted with some HKS Hypermax D coilovers.. apparently a popular choice in the day with nice characteristics and valving for use on track. 

B99ABE5D-E1C9-4C68-852D-DA83368B3561.thumb.jpeg.365e050dec02776f43ae0a967ac6bd0c.jpeg

They need re-charging (gas and oil shock) and from the reading ive done they need to be filled with dry Nitrogen at 85psi.. anyone know where I could have such a thing done? I’m tempted to try them over my Yellow Speeds which I feel are quite soft now. 

2 hours ago, Luke Rainbird said:

I'd make some progress on a car if I was getting paid £5k per episode on Patreon too...

+Ad Revenue on a sizeable number of engaged views. 

I only got round to watching the last one a couple of weeks ago, so this one feels super speedy!

3 hours ago, Tom Booth said:

I watched this last night and actually didn't mind it. I thought the engineering that went into that alternator drive design was great.

I was disappointed they spent so long talking through the wiring stuff (that they pretty much covered last time out) and then just fast forwarded through all that lovely design, turning, machining etc. It would've been good to hear what they were trying to acheive and then how they were going to do it rather than just showing sped up footage of making the final thing with pretty much no explaination. Awesome stuff though.

Yeah I know what you mean. I think the idea is more people at home are going to tackle the lighting loom on their own car projects, rather then spend some time on the 5 axis they have knocking around in the garage.

Car restoration programs always used to annoy me so I've stopped watching any of them, they used to jump in and rip the front end apart, but not really explain why or what they've achieved by doing it...

• Like 1

After a year of braving any cold spell we had I decided enough was enough and fitted the heater matrix I’ve had on my tool box top for 12 months into the 306. 

I never want to or will do one again. I’ve got Civic dash removals down to about 25-30 minutes. The 306? 3 hours. Then I broke the heater matrix hose fitting removing it. Que another 3 and a bit hours to refit the dash with new matrix fitted, but unable to be plumbed in. 

A kind chap in Castleford answered my plea on Facebook for said fitting, hard to find for a 22 year old Peugeot that you don’t see anymore, and gave me a replacement for nothing. Straight to the garage, fitting piped in and clipped into the matrix. 

I have heat and it’s utterly glorious. 

Civic is next on the cards, completely reversing all the dashboard chopping I did not long ago. 

Edited by SamKidney

Ok car peeps.....

egr valve has has been knackered for years on my 54 Fabia 3cyl- stuck shut and as far as I can tell minimal impact - mot advisory. 

This year - apparently engine management lights are a fail. So had a new one in (annoying cost at the garage) 100miles in light comes on. Idle had been funny from getting it back from mot - goes wandering up the Rev range to about 1500max when stationary for like 2-3 seconds

take it back to garage- check codes - egr valve, too lean and a misfire.

garage check valve - seems to be ok, working. But too lean codes still coming up, which implies air getting in? Garage have said it’s possible wear in the head letting in too much air - which sounds hideously expensive for a banger. They also can’t do it themselves and have recommended somewhere else to look.

where do I stand- I don’t know what codes where cleared before they fitted the valve. When they fitted the new valve they had to replace the part it mounts into - could they have naffed it causing damage, only to fix second time around? 

Whats the the best way to proceed - should I just disconnect the egr (assume it is normally closed?) and not care? Get a blank and reprogram for without an egr and see if codes persist? (Anyone have the super legal distro software?) Before the egr switcheroo the idle was perfect and certainly didn’t smell lean :lol:

just looking for ideas opinions/whatevs, the car is old and knackered and I didn’t want to get a new one if possible before I’ve finished some other bits of the house (lots of dirty dump runs still to go...)

On 11/2/2018 at 1:05 PM, monkeyseemonkeydo said:

I was disappointed they spent so long talking through the wiring stuff (that they pretty much covered last time out) and then just fast forwarded through all that lovely design, turning, machining etc. It would've been good to hear what they were trying to acheive and then how they were going to do it rather than just showing sped up footage of making the final thing with pretty much no explaination. Awesome stuff though.

There’s going to be another episode dedicated to the machining in a few weeks they said on patreon. 

They also messed up the settings on the last video and gave it to everyone for free. 

@Tom Booth

@monkeyseemonkeydo

On 11/2/2018 at 8:35 AM, Luke Rainbird said:

Obligatory Binky post:

I'd make some progress on a car if I was getting paid £5k per episode on Patreon too...

I hope it’s more than that for their sake. They are doing it full time now. 

9 minutes ago, Danny said:

Hi gang, We hope you enjoyed episode 20! I have a confession; I royally screwed up the patron post. Patreon changed the UI over the last month and I got slightly confused with the new look. The end result is that no-one has been charged for episode 20. This puts us in a difficult position; your generosity is the reason we're cranking the episodes out a bit quicker now as we're both full time on BOM. However, we're not getting paid this month because of my mistake. We are committed to bringing out a machining video in a week or two so our thinking is that we could use that as a paid post. We're also hoping to bring out episode 21 at the end of the month. This means that you'd effectively be charged for two videos at the beginning of December. If you need to amend your pledge, you've got till 30th November to do so. We're really sorry about this - you can imagine what the effect is to us - we hope you'll understand and help us out. Thanks as always for your support! Cheers, Richard.

2 hours ago, manuel said:

Fabia woes

Electrical tape over the light, job jobbed.

Sounds like they've either introduced a leak or knocked an iffy connection somewhere if there's a new vac-leak-type issue. Spray something flammable around the EGR area including any vac hoses and see if you can notice a change in revs to help track it down if that is the cause. Key here is to not spend any more than you already have, really. 

Have you got a copy (legal or otherwise) of VAGCOM/VCDS at all? If not, I have a genuine setup you're welcome to borrow to try and help figure things out - it tends to be significantly better than the generic OBD diagnostic tools. Not sure if I'm likely to be in Brizzle any time soon, but I've heard there's a firm that will deliver goods for payment. "Royal" something, you might have heard of them...

In other news, I accidentally an ovloV:

5be09960ec41c_VolvoV50.thumb.jpg.5509876b522814ecf9ae2be36c29bf2b.jpg

• Like 2

What do you think to the V50 dude? We keep looking at them as a midsized estate but I don't know anything about Volvo other then tanklike and pretty reliable.

Jenny's after a midsized estate, something focus-y but there seems slim pickings as most people just go full size with the Mondeo or Passat. We both like euros estates but they're always a shitty brown colour and specced for the OAP, focus estates are just abit meh, golf estates are nice but the budget we have puts us in the 1.6tdi 2012ish bracket which I'm avoiding after CaddyGate. The Volvo popped up on my radar and I love the look of them especially the R Design packs, they seem to hold value well which says to me there's a reason for it..