The Car Thread

MadManMike

We didn't want anything huge (ie A6/Passat/Mondeo) hence originally looking at the A4. The car will be a daily for Soph and really we just wanted a 5 door with decent boot space, rather than a big estate, so something relatively small-medium sized suits us nicely and can be hacked about in the lanes without concern.

Unfortunately the 2.0d in the Audis I originally looked at was so shit that every one I went to view was a waste of time so I decided to change tack. Didn't really want anything with a Ford badge because Tart, although they do get a decent writeup. The V50 is a Mk2 Focus underneath so relatively cheap and easy to work on but fairly solid, and handles well too, but in Volvo guise looks a little nicer IMO. Other than driving it home from Port Talbot, so ~15 miles of lanes and a load of motorway driving, I've not been out in it properly but initial impression is really positive. For the money I don't think we could really have done much better to be honest (Y)

We also consideredĀ Golf estates and the like, but Soph's last two cars have been Golfs and she fancied something a little different. Her mum has had an XC90 and an XC60 in the past and they were always decent so that helps on the mental reassurance side of things for her, and from what I can tell so far it's a pretty well put together car so hoping that view doesn't change.

That's pretty much where we are in the hunt for a car. I don't fit in a4 estates, Octavia estates I'm looking at the b post with my seat in the right position, as you say Ford<baller status, so it's not left us a huge range.

I did look into subaru foresters for a while but they only tend to come with 2l or 2.5l thirties which isnt ideal.

A quick note - the Volvo front seats are definitely a little narrower than the Golf/A4 seats, although a lot of that is in slightly narrower bolsters rather than the seat itself. Given your stature it'd be worth parking your arse in a set before committing. My view is a tad skewed though after years of standard VAG seats which are basically Lay-Z-Boys so my thinking they're narrow may just be because the VW seats are huge!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/2/2018 at 9:10 AM, Tom Booth said:

I watched this last night and actually didn't mind it. I thought the engineering that went into that alternator drive design was great.

Ā 

On 11/2/2018 at 1:05 PM, monkeyseemonkeydo said:

I was disappointed they spent so long talking through the wiring stuff (that they pretty much covered last time out) and then just fast forwarded through all that lovely design, turning, machining etc. It would've been good to hear what they were trying to acheive and then how they were going to do it rather than just showing sped up footage of making the final thing with pretty much no explaination. Awesome stuff though.

Put in a good word for you gents:

Ā 

Ā 

Brilliant and ridiculous, all in one!

Some of my stuff... Engine in, cradle made:

1.thumb.jpg.77180b40507924d6028a762ef3e9a43b.jpg

Alloy coolant hoses done (saves about 1.5kg over rubber, and looks cooler):

2.thumb.jpg.4a240db4993eb03182da5e2f42d170a8.jpg

Shifter:

... which also acts as an auto-blipper for downshift:

Yes, that's a Clean HS33 lever operating the clutch :lol:

Now onto wishbones. DIY vs standard, 1.19kg vs 2.14kg:

3.thumb.jpg.61e4099d1ffd35148891ada87f94e462.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 5

In boring, picturelessĀ kit car news, a mechanic friend of mine just put a Toyota Beams engine in his Super 7, he had his employees do all the work for him and everything was done flawlessly. Turned the key for the first time and the oil pickup, picked up no oil. It seized solid. He and the team are thrilled to bits having to source and fit another one at short notice in time for the local annual hill climb competition!

He was also banned from using said Lotus last year when the manager of said hill caught him getting a few enthusiastic practice runs in :lol:

I'm car related news. I currently have a megane R26 so that's nice.Ā 

Also treated myself to a new toolbox. Only decent picture I have of the box. Really happy with it.Ā 

Ā 

Had a busy week this week so treated myself to another milwaukee impact gun.cant wait to test it out :DĀ its the new 3/8 stubby. Had to justify buying it which took me a few hours or so.Ā 

Ā 

IMG_20181121_233016.jpg

Edited by dann2707

Yep, another Halfords "Pro/Advanced/whatever" setup here and very happy with it. One day I might even get round to organising tools and filling it properly. They occasionally do an offer of the big lower section and larger of theĀ two top sections (ie not the 3/4 drawer bit but the rest) for ~Ā£250-300 which is very good really. Proper roller bearing drawers, a big step up from the cheaper Hellfrauds/Clarke units which are just cheap thin sheet and slide awkwardly, nice latching drawers and so on (Y)

35 minutes ago, Danny said:

Did you get a deal on the box? Itā€™s similar to mine (I think mine is the hd plus).Ā 

Halfords have a pretty good deal on today (Ā£479)

https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=255214&productId=1473219&storeId=10001

Yeah got it at a killer price really. Was new but from someone on Facebook marketplace. Was just the top and bottom bits but I went out and got the 2 drawer add on from machine mart last week. Quality of it is so good I'm Megan chuffedĀ 

This toy has been buried under a ton of stuff in the garage for the past year and a bit since we bought this place.

Today I moved everything out of itā€™s way ready to drive it out and put said stuff behind it, but it wouldnā€™t start. Seems the charger I left on it to keep it topped up died at some point. This f**ker is HEAVY to push, but I got it done, got a new charger on it and hope the batteryā€™sĀ not too buggered.Ā 

MOT this week? Maybe, but only as a checklist of things to do...

4F7274F2-6BB1-4651-B2EA-00EB78AAE50D.thumb.jpeg.43c65c4578135342ac4cd11580169c94.jpeg

• Like 2

I've got the Dewalt one (more powerful than yours IĀ believe unless Milwaukee have upped the spec since I last looked) and its sooooo good, they are such handy machines! I use it for driving 180mm coach screws into oak without predrilling with no issues as well as on the farm equipment. I'm keen on having some of the smaller ones so it looks like I might have to try the Milwaukee M12 stuff :)Ā