The Car Thread

MadManMike

Ha, cheers guys. It is indeed a bit of a weapon, mission accomplished. Softer rear springs arrived today to try and tame it a bit...

Three Sisters does now have all new tarmac, yup.

Tom - look at an MNR Vortx. They'll fit you at your height.

Turdbo - naahh. It'd ruin the car. And think of the weight! Ha. Part of the beauty of it is that you can use the performance, I've seen a few mad turbo nutter ones before and they aren't any quicker round a lap.

Thought I finally add to this topic.

I must admit I've never been much of a car guy, I've driven vans for the last 10 years just so I can take bikes easier...the downside was that vans are expensive (both to buy, tax and insure) and they're  pretty boring.

Last year my van broke and I couldn't afford to fix it or insure it. Mark had been up in his MX5 and they seem really cool...I decided that I'd like to try one despite not being the most practical choice ever, the deciding factor was the low cost of fixing and insuring it (quoted £150 a year).

I wanted a MK1 as they're easier to tell if they have rust issues plus pop up headlights are cool, I also get the classic car status for the cheap insurance. I looked around for a while trying to find a half decent one that would last and I eventually found this one.

It's a 1990 Jap import 1.6, it was imported in 2000 and has been owned by the same older guy since. He didn't drive it in winter and always kept it inside when not in use, it had tonnes of paperwork and good previous MOT details and he regularly rust treated the under side. He said he loved the car but at his age was finding it hard to get in and out of it now.

He wanted £2000 for it, that included the original wheels in good condition (just old tyres) and the hardtop, considering the condition I didn't haggle much.

I can understand why people enjoy driving now, this is the first "fun" car I've had and it's an absolute blast! I'm not keen on the wheels so I'll probably put some new tyres on the originals.

I'd like to keep this car for a while so I need to take good care of it, I'd hate to be the person that killed it after all this time!

IMG_1042.jpg

IMG_1057.jpg

IMG_1062.jpg

• Like 9

Looks clean that!

Is that a Seasucker you're using?

I'm still looking for a good way to carry a bike on mine, I'm thinking a Seasucker on the boot and something to hold the fork on my roll bar (I don't have a hard top)

6 minutes ago, Ali C said:

The Seasucker range is so expensive!

Exactly why I don't have one yet haha.

Cheers for the tip, I'll take a look on eBay then. And yeah I also worry that a small rubber cup will hold a bike on, but they seem to do the job - just need to make up some kind of mounting bracket for the roll bar, that might be the trickier part.

Yeah that's why I really wanted a hard top, my bike would fit sideways on the back though, that could be an option.

I've just booked mine in for it's first MOT since having it, I'm also getting an alloy radiator fitted that I've had sitting around since finding a crack in the original one, also asked them to check the underside and under seal/treat it if needed. gonna be a bit expensive but like I said, I want this car to last.

• Like 1

I’m never comfortable with my bikes being on the outside of the car. I only do it if I really must, like with multiple bikes and passengers.

I considered buying a really clean mr2 a few years ago, because flip up headlights and t-bar roofs are super cool. But being impractical and not being able to afford to run 2 cars was the decider.

Recently done a drive to Cornwall and averaged 42mpg in the z4 which Im so happy with for a 3.0 6 pot. 

Fitted a new smaller front plate too to tidy the front end up. Well pleased with it, before it had a minging surround on 

IMG_20190503_105618.jpg

Glad the fairlane didnt sell now, clutch went on the van on Tuesday so I've been running around in that for the last 4 days. 65 quid in fuel :lol:

The £1300 caddy repair bill seems less of a blow with a 15 quid a day fuel habit on the fairlane

8 hours ago, Tom Booth said:

Glad the fairlane didnt sell now, clutch went on the van on Tuesday so I've been running around in that for the last 4 days. 65 quid in fuel :lol:

The £1300 caddy repair bill seems less of a blow with a 15 quid a day fuel habit on the fairlane

How many miles is that?

My Eunos is pretty bad on fuel because the engine runs like shit (Pops and bangs when you let off, plenty of smoke...), but nowhere near that bad!

Smiles per gallon though, right? :)

Alright TF car peeps, got a question for you...

Nic's Peugeot 208 has been making some classic wheel bearing noises for a while now (general 'whirring' type oscillating noise, it used to be louder when you turned left, but now it kind of gets louder either way you turn, oscillations depend on speed so it gets loudest between 50-55mph then quietens down above that) but she's decided to take it to the garage to get it sorted because it's kind of ridiculously loud now.

The garage just called and said they think it might be the gearbox bearing, so want £1k to change the gearbox.

I haven't had a car with a faulty gearbox bearing before but I have had one with a faulty wheel bearing, and this one sounds a lot like the wheel bearings did on mine when they shit the bed.  Is there any simple way of ruling out one or the other?  When we were driving it the other day, with the car out of gear at 50mph it was still rowdy as f**k whereas I would have assumed that the car would have needed to be in gear for it to make the noise if it was a gearbox bearing issue?

If anyone's got any ideas I'm all ears/eyes/you get what I mean.

Doesn't sound like they're giving a convincing story to me... Is the noise 'sided'- can you determine that it's happening on one side of the car rather than more centrally? 

Regarding the car coasting and still being rowdy as f**k that would suggest either the wheel bearing or diff bearing.

Jacking the car up and wobbling the wheels will give a vague feeling for wheel bearing wear (unless it's obvious) and hot hubs would also indicate wheel bearing issue (unless it's not the bearing at all but the brakes which can also be a source of noise!)...

I'm with Dave, especially since you've tried to disconnect gearbox from the system as best possible to help diagnose and it's made no difference at all.

Worst case my brother's gf has a 208 she was thinking of selling a while back so I took a quick look at prices, fairly sure you could buy a whole bloody car for under a grand :lol:

Nic just spoke to them when she picked the car up - apparently when they drove it they were convinced it was wheel bearing, but then when they felt the wheels on the lift they felt fine.  I'm not super convinced by that story, and certainly not enough to want to punt a grand at a gearbox in the hope of fixing it.

It used to be much more sided than it is.  It was super noticeable going round left hand corners, and is slightly to an extent now, but I think they're both on the way out so it's less specific.

As much as a properly dead bearing will have noticeable play, I've had a few before that've been early/minor enough that they didn't yet still made plenty of "f**k YOU ALL" noises when driving. Definitely a leap to go "it's not 100% a wheel bearing, must be a gearbox".