The Car Thread

MadManMike

54 minutes ago, Luke Rainbird said:

Awesome! Stoked or you dude - k24 turbo next? ;)

Cheers! My EK9 shell is having the k24 with a view to being my “racecar” in 2021. 

DC2 is having a K20 with compliant suspension and an LSD so I can enjoy it as a road car :) 

• 2 weeks later...

@Adam@TartyBikes (or anyone else who's suitably '#becauseracecar') I've got an odd engineering/brake query for you... The storeman at work has been putting together a motorcycle based trike (two at the front, one at the rear) and has just had it fail its MSVA test. The main thing that it failed on was that apparently it's considered in a group along with the Morgan and the rules for that say that the brakes must be linked and (and this is the crux of it) must be operated by a foot pedal. If his rear master cylinder can cope do you reckon hooking that in to all three brake systems, via a brake balance adjuster, would work? I'm not sure if he'd also need another brake bias adjuster across the front as well to stop it pulling one way or another... Keeping in mind once it passes the MSVA he's just going to put it back to front lever and rear pedal it depends what would actually make it work!

Yeah don't see why not. Brakes will be a bit mushy but should have plenty of power!

I'd just tee off the master cylinder; one line to the rear brake, one to the front brakes (use a tee again to each of the calipers), and stick an adjustable pressure reducing value (like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brake-Proportion-Valve-Adjustable-Prop-Valve-Brake-Bias-Adjuster-Knob-Type/380921013804) into the rear circuit to make sure that one doesn't lock first.

No need for any sort of adjuster in the front circuit as it'll have equal pressure throughout.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I really do want a DC2 before I'm too old and boring, but fear that age has passed already.

Someone backed into the fairlane this afternoon, put a football sized dent in the rear quarter and flattened all the stainless trim. 

2 taps inside the boot with the rubber mallet and the bodywork was back to normal :lol: Stainless trim isnt in too greater shape but it's gone back to something like. Luckily I found a guy on facebook groups breaking one so the whole thing was repaired within an hour and $45. Sucks for the astra though, bumper was mullered.

Need some opinions on my M4 Exhaust. 

It's completely stock at the moment. Would you recommend doing Decat Downpipes or Secondary Decat. I'm just looking to get more noise and a deeper tone. 

I didn't want to go the Couple of thousand £ for a mid pipe and backbox just yet

Cheers
Oak

Spent all weekend working on my car with some mates - engine cranes, ciders and food.

Got the new engine all painted and it looks awesome, fitted polybushes on the steering rack, replaced a load of gaskets on the front, rear and manifolds.

Managed to get the new engine in, replace gearbox seal & oil, topped up with coolant (Twice, as my mate put the inlet gasket on wrong and it all pissed out...). Tried to fire it up and sprayed fuel everywhere (Same mate decided to mash the o-ring on injector 2 when re-fitting).

We got as far as the starter doing one click and nothing else, which I suspect is a missing earth at the front of the engine - battery is good so it's not that. I'll try and locate the earth point and fit that, if no luck I'll use the starter off the old engine.

It's a bit frustrating as the car is over in Wales, so I need a lift over to work on it again... I could take the BMW, but that doesn't really solve anything as Red will still be stuck over there even if she runs :)

Anyway, almost there...

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, MadManMike said:

Spent all weekend working on my car with some mates - engine cranes, ciders and food.

Got the new engine all painted and it looks awesome, fitted polybushes on the steering rack, replaced a load of gaskets on the front, rear and manifolds.

Managed to get the new engine in, replace gearbox seal & oil, topped up with coolant (Twice, as my mate put the inlet gasket on wrong and it all pissed out...). Tried to fire it up and sprayed fuel everywhere (Same mate decided to mash the o-ring on injector 2 when re-fitting).

We got as far as the starter doing one click and nothing else, which I suspect is a missing earth at the front of the engine - battery is good so it's not that. I'll try and locate the earth point and fit that, if no luck I'll use the starter off the old engine.

It's a bit frustrating as the car is over in Wales, so I need a lift over to work on it again... I could take the BMW, but that doesn't really solve anything as Red will still be stuck over there even if she runs :)

Anyway, almost there...

Sorry if you've already mentioned, but why the engine swap? Is the new engine the same spec as the last?

'm guessing from the fact you didn't mention anything about new engine mounts (or anything fabricated for that matter) that it is the same and just because the old one was dying? 

12 minutes ago, Wrayvon said:

Sorry if you've already mentioned, but why the engine swap? Is the new engine the same spec as the last?

'm guessing from the fact you didn't mention anything about new engine mounts (or anything fabricated for that matter) that it is the same and just because the old one was dying? 

Yep same spec as the original.

We swapped the engine 2 years ago and it was in worse condition than the original one, so I've been on the hunt for a decent one. A lot of the parts, like engine mounts, were new with the other engine so didn't need replacing.

My friend is keeping the old engine to rebuild and fit into an old Mini :)

So, on the troubleshooting front, I'm looking for more ideas just in case the plan fails tonight.

As per original post, the starter sometimes gives one click but goes no further.

Battery is OK.

We will try and push start it to see if the starter is jammed and if that doesn't work, we'll replace the starter with my old one. If that doesn't work, any other ideas on what else we can check?

Earth point that was the suspect has been checked and I believe is only on the 1.8, not the 1.6.