The Car Thread

MadManMike

We "hotwired" my spare starter by wiring directly to the battery, using a jump lead to earth it to the block and plugged ignition on it.

Turned the key and that starter came to life...

With all the other testing we did, we ran out of time to do much else (The joys of the car being so far from my place). We did push start it and confirm that it runs, but not long enough to do much other than reverse it back into the garage.

Next available day to get over there: Saturday 12th.

Jobs left to do - replace starter, top up / bleed coolant and also I think the slave might need bleeding, as it's currently difficult to get into gear.

Not a lot to look at really, check you've got power to the coil and check inside the dizzy, if its original it will be points so it would be worth checking the gap / replacing those.  Check its got some nice fresh fuel (mine barely runs on fuel more than few months old), put some half decent 20/50 mineral oil in it and give it a crank over and see what happens.

• Like 1

Car fixing peoples :)

I've bought me lwb merc sprinter to convert to a campervan, it's a 14 plate with 228k on the clocks, ex-courier so some minor bumps, mainly to the sliding door.

We're eventually planning on getting it raptor coated when funds allow, but in the mean time I would like to try to pull/smooth over the dents and then make it look about the right colour.  I'm not hugely precious about the paintwork so a decent enough rattlecan over the top would be sufficient till we can raptor it.

Who can offer advice, or indeed, is anyone local good at straightening out minor push in dents and fancies a bit of playing in return for biscuits and perhaps half a mars bar? Not looking at @dann2707 or @Tom Booth honest :D

Well it's a perfect learning opportunity :D

In reality beating the dents out might not work too well and it might be a case of just filling it, I'm sure someone would be able to get them out but I don't really have bodyshop kind of budget to get it 100%.

I have looked at the PDR glue tabs but not bought any yet because too be honest I don't know if they'll do the job. The majority of the denting is within the front 10 inches of the sliding door (drivers shoulder barging the door to close it) so close to the panel edge and the door frame so might be pretty stiff.

Did you just use bog standard glue and go at it with a slide hammer? Do you have any links or recommendations for the PDR kit/tabs?

GOT THE ENGINE STARTEDDDDDD :D

It was the starter, in the end... b*****d of a job to do, purely because of the lack of space. My hands and arms are shredded and sting like shit, but the car runs.

I ran out of time to get her home, but probably just a couple more hours work left - bleed clutch, bleed coolant, check PPF area for loose bolts (It's a bit clunky, so suspect the prop shaft may not be torqued up).

Starts instantly, idles nicely... Very close now :)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, forteh said:

I have looked at the PDR glue tabs but not bought any yet because too be honest I don't know if they'll do the job. The majority of the denting is within the front 10 inches of the sliding door (drivers shoulder barging the door to close it) so close to the panel edge and the door frame so might be pretty stiff.

Did you just use bog standard glue and go at it with a slide hammer? Do you have any links or recommendations for the PDR kit/tabs?

Post some pictures up dude, likelihood is within that range of the door frame itll be pretty stiff so likely to have stretched the skin a little. Not 100% unrepairable, but its likely to take a good amount of work.

Have you looked for a replacement sliding door? Factor in the cost of your tools an time an I'd probably be looking down that route if I'm honest. 

A replacement door starts at 200 quid which would then need paint (admittedly if we're raptor coating this is a moot point).

Pictures are in order:-

Back half of the door, accessible from inside so should push out fine with some tapping.

Front edge of door by filler cap, blind so no tapping it out, think this is likely a filler dent.

Front edge of the door partially accessible by removing the internal door handle so might tap out ok.

Offside dent on a seam, think it's been previously cleaned up a little but needs attention as the paint is cracked. Not accessible as it's on an internal rib.

IMG_20191013_142509.jpg

IMG_20191013_142524.jpg

IMG_20191013_142538.jpg

IMG_20191013_142604.jpg

What's with the want to raptor coat the van? 

I think 1 if your careful you could make that look respectable from the inside, be careful what you push that put with though, you may find the end result will be worse then what you have now.

The others I'd look at any form of slide puller with attachments small enough to get in there. I've had more success with smaller dents on panels then large as I think theres less stretch o shrinkage in them.

I'd genuinely price up your repair first and not rule out the replacement.

For some.of those your gonna want a fiberglass filler, aswell as a decent top filler so budget £35 for those. Your gonna need want a good high build primer, £20 for a couple of cans. 2 or so cans of colour, £20, depending on how far you want to go with your repair any sort of cutting compound to finish, £20. Your wet and dry/production papers £20 again for a range of grades suitable for the whole job so your at £115.

A weekend sorting those out to get semi respectable results for £85? 

Raptor suits my regime of car bodywork care, in otherwords it doesn't get much care :D
It will cover the previous owner decal marks and eliminate the need to care for the paint with regards to scratches and scuffs.

I can push 1 out with my fingers but it pops back in, might just cut a chunk of wood that I can bond and wedge in (its behind an open internal rib) which will make it spot on.

I'm going to see if the local shop can pull them mostly out but I'm not expecting it to be within budget, it's always worth exploring all options, not ruled out a new door but this one is completely rot free and sound apart from the dents.  Are the PDR glue tabs flexible?  Any mileage in making a set of nylon/steel plates up at work that I can stick on and use rods/slidehammer to manipulate the steel?

In all honesty I would prefer to not have to filler it so PDR would be ideal but I'm under no illusions that getting it perfect will be nigh on impossible :)

I should point out that I have never dented a vehicle before, just I don't bother to find time to keep it washed and paint protected as best I could do :)

Raptor is pretty much indestructable so I can happily scrub the van down with a yard broom and a bucket of soapy water when it needs cleaning :D