The Car Thread

MadManMike

11 hours ago, Danny said:

Any complaints from the neighbours about the welding Dan? Looks like you are in a town house kinda thing.

I am yeah that's right, no complaints at all though, unfortunately as its a high amp unit it does get quite loud as there's a big fan on it. Sounds a bit like a hoover haha which is annoying as the welder I had before was dead quiet which meant I could hear music as I am welding which is helpful for tig

Nothing exciting. Integra received a well deserved clean after a trip to Hull to collect some rear seat belt buckles on Saturday and refit the rear seats. Happy to say that while the inner quarter plastics were off (for the first time in my ownership at least) there’s no evidence of any rust around the arches or down behind the sills. 

Much more bearable with the rear seats back in, far quieter. Only need to fit a helical LSD to one of my standard ratio gearboxes and I can replace the short box with the plated diff for something a bit more road friendly. 70mph at around 4800rpm does get a bit tedious.. 

7CF9EB3B-08E4-4C84-A1AC-E98D257A8D74.thumb.jpeg.443e39a3331d78039d15e32c78ed7f56.jpeg

B4A2E9BF-7F45-4765-A7CA-841C8DD97697.thumb.jpeg.1cd60e346b80ee5c9f0854a9a824ac46.jpeg

• Like 1

Today I did the final bits of welding which should mean my Land Rover passes its first MOT since 2013 next Friday. Got everything crossed between now and then. 

No I won’t show you my welds, they are incredibly embarrassing rat shit farmer catastrophes, especially considering some of the work in here lately, but they hold the plates on and they’re under the vehicle so I don’t care.

• Like 2

Its actually not raptor but a pretty much identical product, ICR Gladiator. Essentially it's still just a tintable 2k urethane paint that goes on silly thick.  I think final build from two coats is normally in the region of 400 microns.

Pretty much spot on, I don't want to have 50m2 of paintwork to try to keep clean/tidy when I typically manage to wash my car once every 18months or so!  With the urethane on there you can hit it with a jetwash and yardbroom and it will come out clean without being covered in scratches :)
If you have somewhere warm and dry you can put it on by roller, don't need to spray.  Just got to make sure you DA all the paint up properly.

I think you'll need to key up the chrome and prime it first but you should be able to get a reasonable finish even by roller :)

People have rollered their vans but it tends to be a bit patchy because it dries so fast and the application isn't quick enough over the large surface area.

edit: it is pickup truck bed liner after all :D

Edited by forteh
  • Like 1