The Car Thread

MadManMike

Looking good dann33828166781m, but that looks like rather a larger cantilevered load on the hangers, I would take a diagonal tie from lower down on the silencer end cap to nearer the rubbers to take the tension and alleviate the stress risers you've welded into the silencer body :)

Don't forget that stainless has a pretty shit fatigue life and that weld is taking a huge beating, for the sake of another 100g of stainless bar it would stiffen the design massively.  Also worth bracing front to back as well?

edit: a bit like my awesome paint creation (with hidden line!)

exhaust braces.jpg

Edited by forteh
  • Like 1

First and foremost let's get the important shit out of the way. Printed off a baby yoda last night look how f**king cute he is 

?hash=b9c3dab5844918872d96052f7620acaa

Boring stuff now, had my first crack at pie /lobster cuts for the tail pipe and I gotta say I'm impressed with the technique. Pretty much nailed it first go really. 

The main issue with pie cuts is getting each cut absolutely consistent so that they are the same for each piece of pie. 

My technique is draw a line straight down the pipe. This in itself is very hard to keep it straight and parallel with the pipe, used angle iron for that bit. Then I have to do another line exactly 180 deg from that line 

That involved me getting some tape and going around the pipe, folding it in half then that gives you your 180 to the first mark. Do that line. 

Next I put it in the band saw and made a reference mark for the line. I chose my angle of cut and did a cut. Moved the pipe 180 to the other line lining up with my reference point. That the gives you the same angle on each piece of pie. Does that make any sense? 

Another thing to factor is the stick out of the pipe each time to get the same length of pie. Used the fence on the band saw for that. 

That gave me all the pies 

?hash=b9c3dab5844918872d96052f7620acaa

I then tacked them in place and made a 180 and a 90 as I'm making this one a centre exit. It's hard to hold them in place for the photo but I'm sure you get the idea. 

Will be welding them up tomorrow and hopefully finishing the exhaust. 

?hash=b9c3dab5844918872d96052f7620acaa?hash=b9c3dab5844918872d96052f7620acaa?hash=b9c3dab5844918872d96052f7620acaa?hash=b9c3dab5844918872d96052f7620acaa?hash=b9c3dab5844918872d96052f7620acaa?hash=b9c3dab5844918872d96052f7620acaa

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, dann2707 said:

Got a huge update to add in here but... It's nearly there! 

Just ordered a load of cds tubing as I'm now committed to making a roll cage for it. 

Ace, and looking great - roll cage will be a piece of piss after that manifold!

Luke - Lobster has been languishing recently, been playing around with other stuff. Keen to get it out on track soon though. What have you been up to car-wise?