The Car Thread

MadManMike

So I picked up the RS4 and this thing f**king MOVES, its incredible! Just found a dyno graph in the service history - 700 torques at the wheels!

Unfortunately it moved really well into a cat at 130kmh and broke the bumper a bit. Stupid bloody animal napping in the overtaking lane then darting into the left lane I was in as it saw me approach, urgh.

20200320_081940.jpg

Edited by Jolfa

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to restore my wooden steering wheel in Red, any tips?

From what I've seen so far it's a case of sanding it down, varnishing and then clear coating... Any suggestions on products?

The videos I've seen all recommend products I can't get hold of over here (Unless I pay £20 per can shipping and wait two months...)

Any tips appreciated :)

EDIT: Epifanes Clear High Gloss Varnish seems to be the product to use... It looks fairly straight forward, just a little time-consuming. I have plenty of that at the moment though...

I don’t usually do cleaning cars. Got a few hours in this eve giving it a proper wash, dry and made a start polishing. It’s coming up quite nicely but it’s highlighting areas im not too happy with. Would quite like to have it re-sprayed. 

Does look good though :wub:

A4D44A7E-CC84-480C-ACBF-60C382A689A5.thumb.jpeg.95d0cf10fc3ae63807c6fc10c6790d05.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Ex british gas, aircons ice cold and the heaters red hot :lol:

First jobs are a massive wash, machine polish, good valet  then its colour coding bumper, handles and mirror caps. Eventually it'll get some lows and smart wheels but for now it's good.

Day 1 was wash top to bottom, get all the left over adhesive off, all the tar and sap, engine bay degrease and clean

Day 2 full machine polish, first pass firm pad and 3m fast cut, second pass with 3m ultrafina and soft pad

Today I stripped the interior out, ran over the seats with the extraction vac, washed it out top to bottom, clean all the plastics and just went for it really. Really looking forward to lows, wheels and colour coding, but it rides so nicely!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tom Booth said:

If that's all you've needed for a rust free shell you've done well dude, what's next?

I’ve been lucky with it. Being kept in a garage has saved it really. Was worried the bulkhead and floors were going to need attention but they’re solid thankfully. The rear arch/lower quarter repair has come out better than I could have hoped for too: F38BEC32-8DF1-4C61-92A4-0DFF3A83D493.thumb.jpeg.1d01bc65c109e499afa29c0d889f6036.jpeg

Next job is to remove all the glass and associated seals so I can start rubbing it down in preparation for paint. Once the shells ready to go I’ll turn my attention to the engine again, which really only needs a complete gasket kit to be good to go. 

Quite excited really. It’s cool to be doing something different for myself other than Hondas for a change, and also pretty cool that I’ve actually ended up with the car after spotting it 7 years ago and thinking I’d never have the opportunity. 

Edited by SamKidney
  • Like 2

I'm not very carsy. I'll have a go at fixing some things if they break, but not enthusiastically. I am interested in the mechanics etc. in passing, however.
I'm also not a gamer. I like 2D platformers, but not really fussed outside of them. I am interested in the tech and culture in passing, however.

I'm not sure how much overlap this forum has in car/tech enthusiasts, but I just saw this and thought it might interest certain members if they hadn't already seen it, once it's had a couple of generations to mature a bit.

Home driving simulators just got a new dimension, if it doesn't suck!

• Like 1

Any suggestions on paint/underseal removal other than the obvious (and time consuming) wire wheels/sanding? 

There’s lots of very very thick underseal/waxoil/gloop on the underside and front/rear valances and sills on the mini Id like to remove to assess the condition beneath, and subsequently paint. 

I currently have two EP3s, one is a K24 Frank, and the other is a completely OEM Facelift JDM.

I’ve taken up trials again as a hobby, since trying to be an adult has made me be more conservative with money. Both for sale if anyone is interested :’) as we will be moving to a bigger house soon(ish) and will need the money!

Only have a pic of the JDM one:

30E9C496-B5D2-48D3-8C95-C0D7D6761CB7.jpeg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JamieP said:

I currently have two EP3s, one is a K24 Frank, and the other is a completely OEM Facelift JDM.

I’ve taken up trials again as a hobby, since trying to be an adult has made me be more conservative with money. Both for sale if anyone is interested :’) as we will be moving to a bigger house soon(ish) and will need the money!

Only have a pic of the JDM one:

30E9C496-B5D2-48D3-8C95-C0D7D6761CB7.jpeg

Price on both? 

16 hours ago, Adam@TartyBikes said:

Ace! Keen to experience this in real life when tracks are open again :D

Definitely mate. Hopefully we can both get on a track day together if our schedules work out. 

Had another blast yesterday coming back from Asda and my god it grips well, the Lsd works so well and it just feels right. 

Went round a roundabout with a bit of spirit and a large chicken that's gonna be roast dinner on Sunday flew out of the bag and landed on my lap hahahaa

CRX is almost ready to make some boooooost. 
New oem friction plate, XTD Stage2 clutch cover and DC2 flywheel fitted, cams changed and drive shafts rebuilt. Just some oil/water feeds to plumb in along with the intercooler pipe work and we’re good to go. 

B6D24886-887A-4FC6-AF07-973B74C11636.thumb.jpeg.133f2e811c7c22c267930ff99574d096.jpeg

• Like 1

21 hours ago, manuel said:

I’m really diggin the binky engine episodes. Very satisfying.

I’ve started watching the series from the start again. Providing some very useful insight into methods I can transfer over to mine. 

• 3 weeks later...