MadManMike

The Car Thread

25882 posts in this topic

That's pretty much the only way to get anywhere in a 5 even with all four cylinders in action :lol:

The background to this is that the car spat a spark plug out and it's ruined the threads.

A garage locally has said they'll do it, but they won't give a price until I take the car there. I'm hesitant to take it there without a price. They apparently want to see "what state it's in".

I don't understand why they need to see it - it's not like an MOT where there could be other things wrong, it's literally just a stripped thread that needs tapping and helicoiling.

Any thoughts?

It's fair to say I have a distrust in garages, so maybe I'm being overly paranoid about it.

It'll still run fine on 3, just disconnect the injector.

I think they want to look at it first because they want to check what other issues there are - someone who drives a car with a loose spark plug generally probably hasn't done all the other work to a high standard, iyswim...

In my defense, the spark plugs are the only thing I didn't touch during the engine swap :lol:

Fair enough, chucking £10 at a set of new plugs when doing such a job would always be worthwhile though!

Rapidly running out of space >_<

9F32F0E2-6209-4F6F-8D6F-F32897C9DB0C.thumb.jpeg.3a2a7d2620a1c0c18fb09ad6c44291a6.jpeg

On 24/05/2020 at 5:18 AM, Adam@TartyBikes said:

Fair enough, chucking £10 at a set of new plugs when doing such a job would always be worthwhile though!

Normally I would, but it was a freshly rebuilt engine, so I assumed they were new. On removal, they definitely weren't.

I did a spark test today, three out of four cylinders have intermittent spark, so I'm guessing it's either CAS, coil pack, bad ground or maybe even skipped a tooth?

More investigation needed, enthusiasm quickly draining.