The Car Thread

MadManMike

2 hours ago, MadManMike said:

It's one of the requirements, yeah - 3 bed, garage and garden.

And yeah, once we have it, I plan to get something that needs storing in a garage. I really like the 7 actually, it's tempting!

What would a half decent one set me back?

Other cars on the list are S2000 and Boxster, but I'm open to other non-roofed options.

Really depends what you want (obviously). But you can pick up older engined road worthy examples from like £2.5k. Or even less if you fancy more of a project. And obviously you can easily spend more than 10 or even 20 times that if you want the other end of the scale. Plenty of choice out there though!

Of course there are so many variations in each one due to most of them being built by general public rather than the manufacturers themselves.

If you decide you do want one, probably best to decide if you want Car or Bike engined first and go from there.

Edited by Wrayvon

I don't mind doing engine swaps 'n' stuff, but I'd like something that doesn't rot away to nothing, basically. If I got one I'd probably go with car engine, purely because I'm guessing it's cheaper.

Unfortunately a bodge job on welding in the past caused the demise of mine, it looked shiny on the outside but the inside was almost non-existent... Great for weight saving, not so good for structural rigidity.

I'll probably pick up something for £800-1000 just to blast around in for a bit, then get a more serious car in a year once we're settled in.

On 8/10/2020 at 8:49 AM, SamKidney said:

It’s a first gen GT3582R, a bit large and agricultural for what I need really. The car the kit came off was running around 430 at the wheels. Looking to drop down to a newer GTX3076R, power goal somewhere around 400whp as it’ll be on a standard engine. 

Oem K20A2 with the only modification being a new headgasket and ARP headstud/nut kit. 
Oem ratio gearbox with an M Factory plated LSD, Stage 5 paddle clutch, LA Fabrications sidewinder exhaust manifold and 3” exhaust from the turbo back. Bosch 1000cc injectors, GFB 48mm wastegate plumbed back into the down pipe. 

Going with a battery cable to a 340lph(ish) in tank or a 255 (etc.) up/in to a pot and then on to the rail? Or you going dual in tanks on one of them double hats?

Would that 400 wheel involve water/meth for repeatability/peace of mind?

This'd all be on s300 the K version I can't recall the name of as I type, as well I guess?

I don't mean to interrogate, just dead curious. Be sick to see a CRV t-case in it and the back wheels spinning too, serving up Fiesta ST's for North Yorks moors mexico breakfast... haha.

Edited by CC12345678910

37 minutes ago, MadManMike said:

@dann2707 on your MR2, how difficult is it to see the condition of the rear subframe?

I'm potentially viewing them soon and I understand that's an area prone to rust, so I want to make sure I give it a proper look over.

Very very easy mate, it's literally just look under the rear bumper and you'll see it. If I link you to my thread on Cs would it help as I fully removed mine and took many many pics

https://cliosport.net/threads/mr2-k-swap-project.826440/

Hopefully you don't have to be a member. Not sure where It is in the thread but I recommend you view the whole thing with a cuppa anyway ;) haha

Edited by dann2707

23 hours ago, CC12345678910 said:

Going with a battery cable to a 340lph(ish) in tank or a 255 (etc.) up/in to a pot and then on to the rail? Or you going dual in tanks on one of them double hats?

Would that 400 wheel involve water/meth for repeatability/peace of mind?

This'd all be on s300 the K version I can't recall the name of as I type, as well I guess?

I don't mean to interrogate, just dead curious. Be sick to see a CRV t-case in it and the back wheels spinning too, serving up Fiesta ST's for North Yorks moors mexico breakfast... haha.

Up rated in tank pump to an external swirl pot/pump up to the rail. 

K20s have been proven to run 400+ quite reliably without need for water/meth, so a suitably sized intercooler and a chunky rad will be sufficient to keep temps down.

All mapped on K Pro V4 yes, I can have boost by gear mapped in as I’ll be using a 3 port Mac solenoid, so it should still be “some what” usable. 

4WD in a Civic has never really appealed to me, the characteristics/handling they have as a FWD platform is why I’ve stuck with them so long so I’d like to keep that feel. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, forteh said:

I like your random picture of the sewage works!

It's not one of our distributors, it's a 4" tomkinson unit, probably installed in the late '80s :)

I've been working in sewage treatment for too long obviously :D

I actually took that photo for you believe it or not, I was meaning to send it to you on Facebook haha

Mrs asked me what it was then I explained to her its what area you work in etc 

57 minutes ago, Adam@TartyBikes said:

Weirdly I've just started looking at MR2s as well, and was going to ask about yours Dan - cheers for the link to Cliosport!

No problem at all mate, if you have any further questions or want to come and have a drive of one drop me a message. Although mines a bit of a spicier one as you know but there's more to it than the engine in these. 

The balance of the car is something else, I haven't driven anything quite like it before and the handling is far better than the clio ever was for me! 

Thanks dude, appreciate it! Is there a forum or Facebook group you use that's pretty active? Would much rather buy from an enthusiast than off Autotrader etc.

Yeah, once you drive RWD you kinda realise that having two of the wheels doing everything and two of them doing nothing makes little sense for a performance car :lol:

The weight distribution is pretty much the same as my Westfield (Westy 56% rear, MR2 58%) and having a proper diff as standard I am sure it'll be a lot of fun.

4 hours ago, dann2707 said:

I actually took that photo for you believe it or not, I was meaning to send it to you on Facebook haha

Mrs asked me what it was then I explained to her its what area you work in etc 

You're properly weird, did you know that? :D

I have to resist really hard when we're out and about on our travels, we could be driving through some random village in the arse end of nowhere and I'll just randomly spurt out "I replaced the grit plant at that sewage works about 14 years ago!".  Mrs wife keeps threatening to disown me because of it :(

19 hours ago, dann2707 said:

Very very easy mate, it's literally just look under the rear bumper and you'll see it. If I link you to my thread on Cs would it help as I fully removed mine and took many many pics

https://cliosport.net/threads/mr2-k-swap-project.826440/

Hopefully you don't have to be a member. Not sure where It is in the thread but I recommend you view the whole thing with a cuppa anyway ;) haha

Nice one dude!

Yeah I can view it, all 9000 pages :D

I'll have a read through tonight in more detail, but I noticed a guy say he was 6ft and struggles to fit... I'm 6ft 2, so that could be interesting.

• Like 1

More CRX goodness. I must get all the white VTs in here.

Left car is a B18C4 with a Jackson Racing charger. Pricing an engine re-fresh and charger rebuild. Right car is a very healthy NA B18C4 with some internal work for a 4.9 final drive fitting, gearing alteration and a plated diff fitting. 

9214C55B-7DAA-43AD-98BE-26B45FB188ED.thumb.jpeg.d1a259d78dd5dc5181c4344bc0c53e84.jpeg

• Like 2

On 13/08/2020 at 1:53 PM, MadManMike said:

Nice one dude!

Yeah I can view it, all 9000 pages :D

I'll have a read through tonight in more detail, but I noticed a guy say he was 6ft and struggles to fit... I'm 6ft 2, so that could be interesting.

Nah he's got that wrong. Put it this way, my mates dad came to look at my mx5 when I was selling it but struggled to fit in it so bought an mr2 instead. Fits in that spot on

Another one joining Team "f**king off their MX5s"! Mine made it through its MOT, but it's time for something a little more practical. Could fit my Inspired in there, but the MTB is... well... yeah.

Looking at getting hold of a cheap-ish (£2-3.5k~) larger hatchback or mid-sized estate, anyone got any tips/recommendations? Been taken by a few Volvo V50s I've seen, but I don't really have a huge frame of reference for them and as Trials-Forum is the font of all knowledge I thought I'd see what the consensus was here...

Volvo's are cool B)

Actually I'm going to recommend something a bit different. I recently picked up an Alfa 159 1.9 JTDM Sportwagon. Surely the most stylish thing in your price range. Having had an older Alfa in the past, they're nothing like as scary to own as some people would have you believe. 

I haven't posted on here for decades but I got my project 740 on the road recently, went to some track days, found some problems, and now I'm fixing it again. 

20200724_171923.jpg

• Like 4

18 hours ago, MadManMike said:

Skoda Octavia / VW Passat estate?

The 2005-ish ones would fit the budget and they're pretty bombproof...

Yeah, had had a gander at some Octavias. Don't seem to be a huge amount of them out there though.

14 hours ago, Pete.M said:

Volvo's are cool B)

Actually I'm going to recommend something a bit different. I recently picked up an Alfa 159 1.9 JTDM Sportwagon.

Weirdly enough, one of them popped up not far down the road from me. In all honesty, Alfas reliability reputation kind of put me off it. That said, my sister's got a Giulietta (albeit a 2014 plate model) and that's been pretty good for her. That 159 does look cool in a particularly Alfa-y way though!

I'd recommend anyone a 1.9tdi vag estate, my passat was bomb proof, other then maintenence and things I wanted to do that car cost me £18 over 3 years for a new seat belt warning light, and that only failed where someone had refitted a dash trim poorly after removing a bluetooth setup.

Its still on the road too at 250k miles.

Pretty top notch roof repair going on there, such pro :D

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get one of these once we have a house, they look like fun and the usual problems they have seem less life threatening than the MX-5's love of rust.

Pre-cats seem to be the deadliest issue.