The Car Thread

MadManMike

Just saw this on locostbuilders forum:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Haynes-roadster-kit-car-not-Westfield-caterham-robinhood-GBS/284174985636?pageci=1686c2ac-ab75-43c0-879a-6cb6e2533604

There's a bit more info on it than the one you posted up, but definitely scope to change a fair few things should you wish. 

Both of those have common engines in so plenty of spares (and knowledge about them) around.

Like Adam says, it's all about build quality!

I was quite lucky when I bought mine, I paid less than £5k and there was nothing wrong with it (other than old tyres). I ran it for a couple of years without having to do any work other than routine servicing. 

Although mine came with a pinto which are renown for being bombproof so unsurprising it didn't go wrong. (I wouldn't recommend a pinto though, they're old now and weigh shit loads...)

Mike, that looks ok, quite a modern engine for that price point which is good. Perhaps has spent a lot of time outside, bodywork is faded around where the tonneau goes.

Sam, that looks like a really nice car. I reckon it'll go for 7-8k. Close to me if you wanted someone to come along while you take a look at it Mike!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Adam@TartyBikes said:

Mike, that looks ok, quite a modern engine for that price point which is good. Perhaps has spent a lot of time outside, bodywork is faded around where the tonneau goes.

Sam, that looks like a really nice car. I reckon it'll go for 7-8k. Close to me if you wanted someone to come along while you take a look at it Mike!

Thanks for the offer, but it's a bit too early for viewings at the moment - I'm just trying to get an idea of what's what, budget etc... I think a drive from Bristol to Lancashire would be frowned upon from a Covid perspective too :)

Realistically it'll be May or June at the earliest that I can buy.

For now I'm just browsing and seeing what engines are common, what's good and what's not. Just from this brief chat, I've written off Robin Hoods as an option (I almost had already, as they seem to mostly be ancient).

Any other ideas of types to look at are appreciated and having someone look over a car before I throw cash at it would be awesome too. The Eunos taught me a lot about working on cars, but I'm still a noob compared to a lot of you!

33 minutes ago, Adam@TartyBikes said:

Apoarently he only wants £5.5k! He might be in for a pleasant surprise.

19 minutes ago, MadManMike said:

Thanks for the offer, but it's a bit too early for viewings at the moment - I'm just trying to get an idea of what's what, budget etc... I think a drive from Bristol to Lancashire would be frowned upon from a Covid perspective too :)

Realistically it'll be May or June at the earliest that I can buy.

For now I'm just browsing and seeing what engines are common, what's good and what's not. Just from this brief chat, I've written off Robin Hoods as an option (I almost had already, as they seem to mostly be ancient).

Any other ideas of types to look at are appreciated and having someone look over a car before I throw cash at it would be awesome too. The Eunos taught me a lot about working on cars, but I'm still a noob compared to a lot of you!

So is it definitely a 7 style car you're after?

For example, this is also for sale:

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/34/viewthread.php?tid=218043

I'm biased but I prefer a 7 style car but it's not for me! :D

Like Adam I'm happy to help but my mechanical knowledge is very noobie, especially compared to Adam! 

Alternatively just post up a load of links and I'm sure we can all offer our opinions.

57 minutes ago, Wrayvon said:

So is it definitely a 7 style car you're after?

For example, this is also for sale:

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/34/viewthread.php?tid=218043

I'm biased but I prefer a 7 style car but it's not for me! :D

Like Adam I'm happy to help but my mechanical knowledge is very noobie, especially compared to Adam! 

Alternatively just post up a load of links and I'm sure we can all offer our opinions.

I think so, yeah. I was thinking about what I wanted and I realised I was going for an MR2 because it's still relatively practical, like the Eunos was... The more I think about it, the more I realise I don't need any practicality - it'll live in the garage and come out on sunny weekends, so a 7 style car would be ideal for that.

I also like how "open" they are for working on.

I'm not 100% sold on any particular type yet, but whatever I end up with needs to be 2 seats with a soft top / no top. A 7 type car is certainly most appealing at the moment, given the budget of around £5k.

The images aren't loading in that link you just posted, but having Googled the SSC Stylus, I'd be open to one of those... Looks really nice!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MadManMike said:

Amusingly owned by a Barry. :lol:

4 hours ago, Wrayvon said:

(...) been built by barry the bodger (sorry barry).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, manuel said:

Any reason you don’t want to build a car as a kit? Doesn’t look that much more expensive and I thought that was half the fun? 

my friend had a Volvo turbo powered mk which was pretty terrifying to go in.

Cost and time, really. Also with my Eunos being a total pain in the arse for a long time, I'd like to buy something I can get in and drive, with a bit of tinkering to improve.

I wouldn't mind building one from scratch at some point, but for now I'd rather just get something I can take for a blast :)

• Like 1

New build costs are nothing like advertised, sadly.

Sounds obvious when you write it down like this but... a kit car has infinitely more possibility of going wrong than any 'proper' car. Needs very open eyes at 'entry level'.

Have had a couple of Fisher Furys, both around the 5k level actually - they are well thought out.

That Haynes at 5.5k would be a bargain!

I'm always a bit put off when they say "Needs finishing, minor stuff..." - surely if it's minor stuff, you'd finish it and sell it for more?

That does look cool though, I wouldn't mind a project that's almost finished and I could tidy up, as long as it wasn't hiding any major issues.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys!

My name's Andy and I'm new here. I see for a trials-forum some of you also have an interest in cars - which I do too! I think we might get along.

Below is a picture of my track cars, neither of which work, seemingly ever. Even if they did, they'll probably be considerably slower than my company car. 

:lol:

Andy P

PXL_20210131_160554945.jpg

Edited by Andy P
Because I'm apparently incompetent
  • Like 7

3 minutes ago, MadManMike said:

What's the blue (purple?) one?

All I see is a big old turbo, which is never a bad thing B)

It's just a B5 Audi S4.

Rwd, saab engine, diy dry sump, holset hx40 turbo, vems management, bmw 6 speed manual, nissan S14 rear diff housing, cusco RS LSD. Widebody is all metal and all my own.

Andy P

20200411_162146_(1).thumb.jpg.f957a2cf560c357ef1578176c659d6f8.jpg

• Like 6