The Car Thread

MadManMike

Alrighty, after years of threatening to get an estate I'm taking the plunge.  Any thoughts on this/anything to be wary of? Checked the MOT history and it is super clean. Had a look at a few others that were a better price but seem to have fairly chequered MOT histories. Otherwise seems to be fairly reasonably priced compared to similar models, photos make it seem in decent condition, recently done cambelt is nice...

All the reviews I've read have said that the only negatives of it are that it's "uninspiring to drive" and that the engine isn't particularly powerful, but apparently it's decent on the motorway (thank you, 6th gear) and has more load space than most other comparable models so realistically it'll be fine for what I need it for*. Have a few friends down here who either currently own or have owned them and taken them well over 200,000 with appropriate TLC for them so it seems like it should last assuming I keep on top of things.

Another bonus is they take part ex, so I'm hoping I can get the MX5 cleaned up, then basically drive up in that and drive home in a shiny new(er) car. Sounds like there's something new at the TB warehouse to shoot too so could tie in nicely. 

*Taking my mountain bike places to ride.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mark W said:

Alrighty, after years of threatening to get an estate I'm taking the plunge.  Any thoughts on this/anything to be wary of?

The 1.6tdi had injector issues from 2011-2016ish, the injectors fail electronically, not mechanically so can't really be reconditioned properly, so really its replace with a good second hand or new. There's a nationwide shortage on new injectors currently so it's VW only at about £450ish plus fitting. See if you can find out if its had the EA189 emissions recall, some people say it can cause injector issues, but if you can prove it's had it and it's had VW service work after some people have had warranty replacements.

I've had 2 caddys, both with the 1.6, my last one I had for 70k miles and had to replace an injector at around 100k, at the time they were readily available so the repair was about £300. I love the 1.6tdi motor, plenty of low end grunt for milling around town and sits pretty happily at 75 on the motorway, always gives 45+mpg (went round Europe in my last van for 2 weeks a few years ago and saw 58mpg average). They're pretty well known to have issues with EGR valves too, its a pretty big job on a caddy, subframe and driveshafts out, not sure if it's the same on the passat but I'd imagine it's similar. Might be wise to block it and map it out before you get issues.

Generally though I've had pretty minimal issues with both of them, I've owned them for 7 years now, 1 injector and other then servicing I can't remember anything else.

Before the caddys I had a B6 passat (same as that but pre-facelift) an I absolutley loved it, if I didn't need a van I'd 100% still have a passat wagon of some sort.

If you venture onto some of the caddy pages you won't be far away from some boob slating the 1.6tdi, but generally they suffer with all the same stuff other modern engines do, joys of modern cars I guess..

19 hours ago, MadManMike said:

I took my MTB to Bikepark Wales a couple of times in the Eunos, no excuse :P

(We won't mention the fact I couldn't shut the roof, so drove home quite wet one time...)

The Mk2.5 has a narrower passenger area than the Mk1, so it pretty much straight up doesn't fit unfortunately. Tried a few permutations and didn't get anywhere.

13 hours ago, Tom Booth said:

The 1.6tdi had injector issues from 2011-2016ish, the injectors fail electronically, not mechanically so can't really be reconditioned properly, so really its replace with a good second hand or new. There's a nationwide shortage on new injectors currently so it's VW only at about £450ish plus fitting. See if you can find out if its had the EA189 emissions recall, some people say it can cause injector issues, but if you can prove it's had it and it's had VW service work after some people have had warranty replacements.

I've had 2 caddys, both with the 1.6, my last one I had for 70k miles and had to replace an injector at around 100k, at the time they were readily available so the repair was about £300. I love the 1.6tdi motor, plenty of low end grunt for milling around town and sits pretty happily at 75 on the motorway, always gives 45+mpg (went round Europe in my last van for 2 weeks a few years ago and saw 58mpg average). They're pretty well known to have issues with EGR valves too, its a pretty big job on a caddy, subframe and driveshafts out, not sure if it's the same on the passat but I'd imagine it's similar. Might be wise to block it and map it out before you get issues.

Generally though I've had pretty minimal issues with both of them, I've owned them for 7 years now, 1 injector and other then servicing I can't remember anything else.

Before the caddys I had a B6 passat (same as that but pre-facelift) an I absolutley loved it, if I didn't need a van I'd 100% still have a passat wagon of some sort.

If you venture onto some of the caddy pages you won't be far away from some boob slating the 1.6tdi, but generally they suffer with all the same stuff other modern engines do, joys of modern cars I guess..

Cheers for all the info, Tom! Appreciate it. Take it in your opinion that model is still worth going with even in light of those issues, or are they a bit of a deal-breaker? Had a gander at EGR remaps, but couldn't find any actual pricing anywhere. Don't suppose you've got any idea how much I'd be looking for that realistically?

Had been looking at the pre-facelift ones too, but thought that spending a bit extra to get a newer model might be worthwhile. Take it that's not necessarily the case then, or are there issues with the B6 that mean that it's six of one/half a dozen of the other? I'd heard a lot about clutch issues on those, but I don't know how much of that is the same way that if you speak to most people about a lot of diesel cars there'll be clutch issues. I had been looking into a Ford estate of some sort a while ago and all the chat about them was the woes of dual mass flywheel clutches and fuel injectors...

Just had a look online and found this great example of corporate speak. It sounds like there's essentially a 2 year warranty that they're calling a 'Trust Building Measure' if the car that's had the work done is serviced at the right intervals and is under 160,000 miles. The car I'm looking at has FSH which is a start - I've asked the sellers if it's got mention of that EA198 recall in the car history at all. It seems it's been looked after properly so I'm guessing it has. We'll see...

42 minutes ago, Mark W said:

The Mk2.5 has a narrower passenger area than the Mk1, so it pretty much straight up doesn't fit unfortunately. Tried a few permutations and didn't get anywhere.

Ah yeah I forgot you don't have the mk1 now. To be fair I was joking anyway, fitting a bike in is a pain the arse involving removed wheels, bungee cords and damaged seats - an estate is a much better idea.

59 minutes ago, Mark W said:

Cheers for all the info, Tom! Appreciate it. Take it in your opinion that model is still worth going with even in light of those issues, or are they a bit of a deal-breaker? Had a gander at EGR remaps, but couldn't find any actual pricing anywhere. Don't suppose you've got any idea how much I'd be looking for that realistically?

Had been looking at the pre-facelift ones too, but thought that spending a bit extra to get a newer model might be worthwhile. Take it that's not necessarily the case then, or are there issues with the B6 that mean that it's six of one/half a dozen of the other? I'd heard a lot about clutch issues on those, but I don't know how much of that is the same way that if you speak to most people about a lot of diesel cars there'll be clutch issues. I had been looking into a Ford estate of some sort a while ago and all the chat about them was the woes of dual mass flywheel clutches and fuel injectors...

Just had a look online and found this great example of corporate speak. It sounds like there's essentially a 2 year warranty that they're calling a 'Trust Building Measure' if the car that's had the work done is serviced at the right intervals and is under 160,000 miles. The car I'm looking at has FSH which is a start - I've asked the sellers if it's got mention of that EA198 recall in the car history at all. It seems it's been looked after properly so I'm guessing it has. We'll see...

Yeah I'd say so, but font come back to me if it gives you problems :lol: With fsh, how clean it looks and the other factors, it's safe to say it looks a good edged bet, I love that B7 shape, really want one for jenny and me.

I really do think the 1.6 is a good motor, plenty of go when you need it, my vans never really loaded down, but even with a 120kg jukebox in the back it scoots along pretty nicely, usual VW quality everywhere else, everything goes with a solid clunk. I had the EGR blanked on my last one and mapped out, I think it was about 300, but to be honest can't really remember. I think they're sbit sensitive to fuel filters being replaced regularly, but keep on it with servicing and shouldn't be a problem.

The pre-facelift one to go for is the earlier 1.9tdi I my opinion, the 2.0l of that generation had fuel pump issues, dual mass issues and injector issues. But as always you only hear the bad, never really the good. I only know a little about the EA189 stuff, my last van never went for the recall and as far as i know my current van isn't eligible so I've never really paid it much attention, just seen a few reports of people getting extended warranties etc because of it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark W said:

The car I'm looking at has FSH which is a start - I've asked the sellers if it's got mention of that EA198 recall in the car history at all. It seems it's been looked after properly so I'm guessing it has. We'll see...

They said "from checking online it has no outstanding recalls", so it's been done, but they didn't say or find out when...

47 minutes ago, MadManMike said:

Ah yeah I forgot you don't have the mk1 now. To be fair I was joking anyway, fitting a bike in is a pain the arse involving removed wheels, bungee cords and damaged seats - an estate is a much better idea.

My system for getting my Arcade in it is absolutely dialled and works a treat, but alas, chonky tyres and 27.5" wheels don't play ball. Otherwise I'd probably keep hold of it, although it's starting to get some annoying niggly little bits that are making it progressively less fun/confidence inspiring to drive.

23 minutes ago, Tom Booth said:

Useful stuff

Cheers again dude! Much along the lines of what I was thinking really. Had found some of those older 1.9s online condition wise they weren't as good (unsurprisingly) and had a decent chunk more mileage on them. I'm aware they can do some ridiculous mileage if looked after well, but starting off 60k more than that 2011 one is... yeah... The price difference isn't really good enough to offset the potential faff involved with an older, more worn out car really.

Assuming you didn't have any MOT issues with the EGR remap on the go?

Yeah its always the dance isn't it, I sold my b6 passat on 180k, but I did buy it on 130k, not sure if I'd do it again though now I'm older and supposedly wiser haha.

Nah never an issue with the EGR stuff, I think 99% of testers just look to see if it's still there and move on.

• Like 1

Economy is not a huge concern as the number of miles we do is fairly inconsequential compared to the outlay of car/insurance/tax/servicing. I’ve looked at bimmers but am unsure about them, I guess I have a hangup in my head that parts/servicing cost might be high? Edit:something like this https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202104221677060?advertising-location=at_cars&price-to=10000&postcode=Bs79pr&body-type=Estate&page=4&make=BMW&fuel-type=Petrol&include-delivery-option=on

still 10 years old though

im hoping the budget to be fairly grown up 5-10. I’ve come to realise something in my life has to give, and there are some things I will just have to spend on and remove effort. 

wish list…

not super old

reliable, can be run for a significant number of miles/years with minimal ball ache and cost

estate, big ish.

petrol

cruise and 6th

Not a slug.

Can fit roof bars.

Same with most things these days I think, just look at how Apple got caught out making their phones into bricks after a while.

Appliances are the same, I remember my parents parents having stuff they'd used since the 70's and now a washing machine will pack up after 3 years and be cheaper to replace than repair.

I had a C Class estate a couple of years back, it was a 2011 350 model (think it was the sport or AMG trim or whatever it's called these days) and it was brilliant.

I only sold it because I get bored easily and fancied something with 2 seats again (despite having a kit car...).

• Like 1

On 16/07/2021 at 6:42 PM, manuel said:

wish list…

not super old

reliable, can be run for a significant number of miles/years with minimal ball ache and cost

estate, big ish.

petrol

cruise and 6th

Not a slug.

Can fit roof bars.

I know it's not the direction you've been looking in but our smax has ticked all of those boxes apart from petrol and being old :)

56 plate bought 6 years ago for 3.5k, 147k on the clocks, 2litre tdci.

Major cost repairs so far have been new front dampers at 250 quid, rear suspension bushes/linkages at 100ish and the cambelt which is a service item anyways.  The original owner had replaced the high pressure fuel pump but that was the only major cost - still on the original clutch!

She's now done 184k, still pulls 50+ mpg on the motorway.

Tonnes of room, 2m long load bed with the middle seats down, takes length of just over 3m with the front seat flat if you're happy with it resting on the dash or in the footwell.

8 hours ago, forteh said:

I know it's not the direction you've been looking in but our smax has ticked all of those boxes apart from petrol and being old :)

56 plate bought 6 years ago for 3.5k, 147k on the clocks, 2litre tdci.

Major cost repairs so far have been new front dampers at 250 quid, rear suspension bushes/linkages at 100ish and the cambelt which is a service item anyways.  The original owner had replaced the high pressure fuel pump but that was the only major cost - still on the original clutch!

She's now done 184k, still pulls 50+ mpg on the motorway.

Tonnes of room, 2m long load bed with the middle seats down, takes length of just over 3m with the front seat flat if you're happy with it resting on the dash or in the footwell.

I have considered it, but would prefer length over girth…

I dunno, she's pretty lengthy, got a three seater sofa in the back with the tailgate fully closed, did have to scoot my seat forwards a bit mind :D

Althought it's only a couple of inches shorter than the galaxy, the much lower roofline makes it appear a lot smaller from the outside, essentially it's an mpv for people who don't want to grow up and admit they have a large multi seat family car!

Edited by forteh
  • Like 1