The Car Thread

MadManMike

13 minutes ago, Tom Booth said:

Whatever threads they are Mike, thread a couple of nuts on, chip the threads, file the end with a nice light chamfer and unwind the nuts to clean up.

Makes sense.

I'll probably leave it to the garage to do anyway, just in case they don't need to be cut - I can just imagine chopping them nice and cleanly, then finding out the rack is different and is now too short :laugh:

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

2022s shared/communal project for me and the lads at the workshop. 

£500.00 Civic, a £200.00 K24 and all the parts we can find in the unit to try and build a cost effective track car we can all share/use in the winter months to avoid using our own individual cars in weather we’d rather not take them out in. 

So far we only need an ECU, conversion harness and a set of shift cables to get it running/driving. 

84F22D71-4D2E-440B-8636-539D23988B68.thumb.jpeg.5dcd336f875d63e47e9d3cb8bc2f6d12.jpeg

• Like 3

Time has come to sell the MX5.

I honestly never wanted to sell it and if I could I’d keep it forever but I have to be realistic and accept something more practical would be way more benefit for me and my riding. When I had the motorhome it didn’t matter so much but now I’ve not got the motorhome a van just mages more sense.

I had it detailed by a friend the other day and it came up lovely…it’s such a great car and I’ll miss it…I just hope I can get enough to help cover the costs of a decent van.

6297AF3C-0EB2-4BA3-9F72-D0CF7C48CC31.jpeg

B71C4CF7-E137-42A4-9EB5-A58D07A5D34F.jpeg

5B19DCC5-060C-4124-807D-A0EAFF8A3293.jpeg

F3444B42-A3F8-4E61-A76F-B26D4D9423F5.jpeg

171893FE-CE9D-4BAB-A4C8-894E2591AEED.jpeg

2233542D-9E0B-4E6E-8920-A4D93C49442D.jpeg

B8D8AF48-C58B-42D5-87E3-D2C7099EFB8F.jpeg

E837B0BC-E66D-4E66-8DC2-FB7B87EFE67B.jpeg

16803499-5D5D-4BC1-B031-A2F416CC6BCF.jpeg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, forteh said:

Unfortunately buying a van at the moment is a fools game, prices are still up a few grand over what they were pre-covid.  Might be better with a big estate/mpv?

Yeah that’s the current negative :( 

A van really would be the best though, ideally I want room for a bike, a bed and a pull out toilet…it would be very cramped inside anything other than a medium sized van

Could almost do all that in a ford smax :)

Not as good as a van for amenities though! Persephone does MTB training at Cannock chase on a Saturday morning and it's lovely to tromp back to the sprinter and put the kettle on for tea to warm up before driving 20 minutes home :D

Edited by forteh
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Wrayvon said:

What happened to your motorhome Ali? Always thought it was pretty cool you had one of them! Ideal for your riding vids :D

That was a sponsorship rather than something I owned outright. Sadly because of covid and factories being locked down production halted yet demand increased due to people wanting to holiday in their own country. Sunlight asked for all media vehicles to be returned so they could sell them to try and keep up with demand...I believe they're sold out until at least 2024 now.

It's sad not to have it but at the same time it wasn't the most convenient vehicle and sometimes even a bit of a headache. It didn't really work for 90% of my purposes, it was hard to park in cities (it was over 7 meters long!) so I couldn't really use it when riding street trials and lots of MTB locations have height restrictions or narrow lanes which again made it difficult to use. The one place it is unbeatable was festivals and bigger events where they opened up fields for parking...for that situation it was unbeatable!

I wouldn't get another vehicle that size again, a small/medium van would be far more useful 

• Like 1

You might be suprised just how easy sprinters are to drive, they're relatively narrow for a van and I don't thing that's much longer than my smax!

If you fancy some light reading on a self build, this book is excellent.  Don't set a budget and just build what you can, when you can :)

https://climbingvan.co.uk/product/the-van-conversion-bible/

edit: smax length is 4796, SWB sprinter length is 5267!

Edited by forteh

I have a converted short wheel base medium height transit. It's been bloody awesome to be honest. The Mrs and I have been all over the UK in it, but I also use it day to day at the moment and it's not an issue being a SWB - it fits in parking spaces.

Oh and don't discount the luxury of being able to stand up in your van, so many transporter owners I've seen that have to park, pop the roof up, put the awning up, build the kitchen and THEN make a cup of tea!  We can park and be cooking bacon and brewing coffee within minutes :)

• Like 1

high top all the way. if you are paying a premium to get a van in the first place - may as well get a biggie. Big vans are so easy to drive, Ive driven loads of sprinters and they are much more manoeuvrable than my estate thanks to the driving position and the steering that almost puts the wheels at right angles. I would also suggest converting a bigger van might be cheaper in the long run...

For ultimate convenience, if you're willing to forgo full camper facilities, a bench/slide out double bed in the back of a Kangoo works pretty well for us.

Motorway services have showers, and public loos. Not as convenient, but drives like a car and gets 68mpg.

Insulation poking out in pictures because I'm still trying to get hold of an internal side door handle before finishing the cladding.

20210423_085450.thumb.jpg.852df46606cf24f137c6345562b6bbd9.jpg

20210423_085710.thumb.jpg.b1fca46fa915d88f513baa90173241ca.jpg

Cubby shelf above the cabin for space saving storage, too :D

20210423_085535.thumb.jpg.58009145e4fba901988531ae4c6db483.jpg

8 minutes ago, manuel said:

high top all the way. if you are paying a premium to get a van in the first place - may as well get a biggie. Big vans are so easy to drive, Ive driven loads of sprinters and they are much more manoeuvrable than my estate thanks to the driving position and the steering that almost puts the wheels at right angles. I would also suggest converting a bigger van might be cheaper in the long run...

This is true, turning circle on the 7m long sprinter is almost as good as the 5m smax, mirrors are much better and because you're sat so much further up you can spy on what crap people have in their footwells when sat in traffic jams on the motorway :D