The Car Thread

MadManMike

Just got back from popping over to the next town, conditions are actually not too bad to drive in, besides a moron in a Jimny driving close behind me at one point (he turned off before I could pull in and let him past). I've got to say, if it wasn't for the other idiots on the road I think these conditions would actually be really fun to drive in.

• Like 1

Just got back from popping over to the next town, conditions are actually not too bad to drive in, besides a moron in a Jimny driving close behind me at one point (he turned off before I could pull in and let him past). I've got to say, if it wasn't for the other idiots on the road I think these conditions would actually be really fun to drive in.

That reminds me actually of when I was going home from Meadowhall last week. Down the M1, at about 70mph, I was in the fast lane and came up behind the next person. I backed off because I wanted to leave some braking distance but the person I was behind appeared to be a couple of metres behind the person in front of them :S Insane.

Lol I'm glad he crashed, might teach him something.

Other news, bought a Saxo vtr as a daily to engine swap my civic. Turns outs, under the ropey exterior, it's a bigger pile of shite than expected.

One of the rear caliper bolts is a wheel nut. Fantastic.

Still for £300 it's not too bad.

You're not missing much. Poor quality phone video on a narrow back road spinning up the wheels and eventually losing it fairly gently at about 10mph without hitting anything too hard.

Lol phone? youtube, converting and the night vision made the CAMERA poor

Lumix's are not shit.

Actually.... my gal's got the Lumix DMC-LX3 http://www.trustedreviews.com/Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-LX3_Digital-Camera_review and whilst it is amazing quality for a compact (often shots look better than my SLR) it's film function is full-on shite. That ain't where their quality lies.

Plus you're shooting inside a dimly lit car in the middle of no where so it never was going to be good - which is exactly what it is.

This thread's been lacking picture's, so here's a couple of quick shots mates got while I was swapping over my outer CV joints at the weekend at a friends workshop:
14780_10151389056641005_1064582720_n.jpg
549807_10152447900870615_1276422643_n.jp
Feels much better with the new joints on there, unfortunately it's shown up that one of the inner ones needs doing too. A job for another day I think.

Completely agree.

I agree on the thing that 4x4 drivers think they can drive like retards just cause they've got a 4x4. My dad loves it in his navara though. Drove out last year and found some deep stuff and had some fun near my cousins farm.

Also agree on the lack of experience/preparation. I don't want to sound big headed but I think I can drive much better than your average person of my age and can notice rings way before others. Seeing as I've not had my car for a while my mates been taking me to the gym in his Clio. The road to it has cars along one side and is covered in snow and he just prats about or just doesn't know how to drive it and I just cringe all the way round hoping we won't under steer into the cars. Tense bum moments right there.

I don't want to sound too big headed either but I've done about 300 miles in this weather and haven't got stuck yet. I have had a little prat with the handbrake about when its dead and open though. The worst down here was on Friday and I made it to work and back fine.

Edited by King C

Robin, I really think you should space those wheels out. The car looks great but I recall the wheels being hidden deep inside the wheel arch. To me personally that's a massive turn-off. No need to go all german, just have the wheels match up with the outline of the body.

Completely agree with you on that, it's a pet hate of mine too. It was on a set of old Vauxhall wheels that sat stupidly far in for a while after I put it back on the road, as they were all I had to hand (and even they were borrowed). I've put some new wheels on it since then which are 16x7.5 et35, spaced 5mm up front. They need another 5/10mm of spacing up front and 20/25 out back to get it looking good, but they're a hell of a lot better than the Vauxhall ones were.

In that picture higher up this page it's not actually got any wheels on it though :P You can just about see the bottom of one disc on the left, and you can see the silhouette of the other disc/hub hanging down next to me on the right.

Peoples thoughts on me getting a Seat Leon 1.8 gti(?). Basically a workmate crashed it in the snow, into a roundabout and took a hefty chunk of alloy off his wheels. I havent seen it but got talking to him about it last night, and i think id be able to get it for 350 its done 80k full electrics inside, 6cd changer manual blahhhh.
The collision was on snow doing about 20mph and he lost it and hit a roundabout.
If its worth doing i will probably fix it and then insure it maybe.
I asked him to get some pics tonight and ill post them up here to see what you have to think.

Finally think my golf is fixed, traced it down to a hall sensor/sender fault and put a new dizzy on. So far it's been okay since so fingers crossed.

I hope this heavy downfall of snow comes on Friday night so I can have a play in a big car park up the road from me before it melts on Saturday!