The Car Thread

MadManMike

There was a whole bunch of fail in the early build though, lots of engine and fabrication issues which were glaringly obvious. There was a build thread for this on Drift Works but it was deleted by the owner because of all the arguing and the blokes attitude.

I don't think it has even been driven yet? It certainly hadn't last time I looked.

Whilst I appreciate the workmanship I think the car itself is pointless and I really don't like it.

Edited by Pashley26

Nah, he's been building it for like 2-3 years though, he even says he's re-done a lot of it to be fair. I guess taking that long you learn what you did wrong, while still doing it ha.

Meh, for someone who's built it in his shed, that he also built, i think it's pretty spectacular.

There's no real point to anything anyone does to their cars, like i want to build an airbag trailer - why? why the hell not. :D

Diffusers proven to make lock to lock much quicker. Some guy tried with, and without, and the different is noticeable even from watching, he's on other lock while other guy is just coming out of other lock.

That makes no sense at all.

Edit: but then I have just googled 'rear diffuser drift car' and found some very bad science on aerodynamics so there you go.

Not really. In motorsport terms (i.e. F1) basically you have high speed, low pressure air under the car acting on the floor (creating downforce) and the diffuser's job is to return that air to atmospheric pressure as efficiently as possible. The diffuser itself is basically a pressure recovery device.

Basically provided the floor upstream of the ramp is reasonably smooth and the transition to the ramp doesn't make the flow separate then it should help reduce drag while increasing downforce. If it's done wrong then I think the worst that could happen is that it won't be able to do anything but it probably wouldn't make things worse.

In non-calling-someone-out-on-something-they-really-know-their-shit-on news, my mate's just left his job as feature editor of Land Rover Monthly and clearly has too much time on his hands.

Read this if you want some funny fictional stuff about shit old cars; http://issuu.com/brownmag/docs/brownmag_issue_one

http://www.facebook.com/BrownMEngineering

http://www.facebook.com/Brownmag

Yeah, I can't argue with any of that, I don't know a huge amount about aero, but what I do tends to agree with what Daves saying. The only thing I would say is that in terms of most tin-tops where the diffuser's lengths quite limited, (and/or the rear overhang's long) the centre of pressure caused by the diffuser can often be around or only just forward of the rear axle, so although they'll help front downforce, it is mostly a rear-biased force. They certainly shouldn't make the front lighter though, unless you've done something very wrong. (Edit, I know Dave wasn't saying otherwise, just thought it could be interpreted that way.)

The diffuser on that truck did make me think it was an 'all show no go' affair from the first picture, it certainly goes against what I've been told. Still, I think calling it faux is a bit harsh, I've seen a lot worse, and I expect it still does something, ok a fraction of what a well designed one would do, but I guess it's probably better than nothing.

Out of interest, what's makes Dave an aero expert? Not questioning it at all, just being nosey haha.

Edited by RobinJI

Because you think Dave is wrong? I'm fairly sure he could 'out aerodynamics' anyone on this forum...

Love all the likes from cretins who missed my point. Especially Matt.

The reason why I couldn't wait for Robin to reply was because FINALLY somebody has thoroughly and accurately answered a difficult technical question without Robin having to take time out to do the question justice.

Edited by Pashley26

Still, I think calling it faux is a bit harsh, I've seen a lot worse, and I expect it still does something, ok a fraction of what a well designed one would do, but I guess it's probably better than nothing.

Out of interest, what's makes Dave an aero expert? Not questioning it at all, just being nosey haha.

I wasn't so much saying it was faux/bad rather that it's supposedly a drift ute yet they've added a diffuser to potentially produce downforce (and therefore increase grip and stability) when my instinct tells me that a drift car wants to be inherently unstable with as little grip as possible (within reason). Edit: happy for someone to point out why a bit of downforce/reduced lift might be good for a drift car but doesn't seem to tally with how I see drifting!

Cheers Ad... that page (and photo!) leaves a lot to be desired! But yeah Aero Engineering degree followed by a doctorate in rally car aerodynamics and now manage and consult for the University wind tunnels :).

followed by a doctorate in rally car aerodynamics

Fancy sending me your thesis? Ha :P

My sh*tty Uni only has a little tunnel that one of the lecturers made. Why I'm still bothering with this Uni I've no idea!

Car news: May have accidentally ordered some Bilstein dampers for the brick, and maybe possibly also some lowering springs. oops.

Also, two people said they were coming to look at the Focus, neither showed up. :(