The Car Thread

MadManMike

Love all the likes from cretins who missed my point. Especially Matt.

The reason why I couldn't wait for Robin to reply was because FINALLY somebody has thoroughly and accurately answered a difficult technical question without Robin having to take time out to do the question justice.

See, this is the problem with words on a screen - from where we were sat it looked like you were waiting for Robin to come and tell Dave he was wrong.

Clearly that wasn't the point you were trying to make, i'll definitely get over it...

• Like 1

Cheers Ad... that page (and photo!) leaves a lot to be desired!

Haha, sorry about that. I did see the photo and think 'jesus, have I got the wrong Dr Dave?'.

In car news - been doing quite a lot of work recently (couple of hours a night plus two half days each weekend), getting ready for the 'season'. Nothing hugely exciting but it's been time consuming and satisfying (and never-ending) at the same time! Track day at Cadwell which was due to be on tomorrow has been cancelled, but booked one for next weekend instead. Race car needs a shakedown before first race of the season at Donington, which will be televised :D (Only MotorsTV but we get a copy of the footage on DVD afterwards which is pretty cool.)

• Like 3

He said he's seen what you want to do to Hondas not what you've done to Honda's. I'm guessing thats based on those "vtec just kicked in yo" videos you posted.

*For the record, I'm no vtec hater, I actually love them but the best thing to do to them isn't stick a silly slash cut jap can on it *

Ah right i replied just as i was leaving for work so misread. Yes i would put a spec2 exhaust on it. But his point is invalid because he has also put an exhaust on that looks out of place. I see no issue here. :wink:

Yeah. I've seen what you want to do to Hondas.

All i would end up doing to the Seat would be:

Put my spare Audi TT wheels on.

Lower it.

Get a MK6 golf R steering wheel.

Dependant on the state of the inertia as he is an alcoholic smoker, change them to TT front driver and passenger seats.

Change the wheels at somepoint.

That would be all.

The above sounds hateful.

TT seats sit terribly in LCR's and do not match any other interior equipment.

Mk6 Golf R wheel will look silly, totally out of place and won't work without soft coding and loom adjustments for the airbag.

TT Comps (I am presuming) look very small on LC's, light weight wheels and very strong but being 17's they just don't suit the Cupra. (Which was designed for 18" LCR wheels)

Your choice, but I don't see how fitting Audi wheels and seats along with a VW steering wheel is in any way not ruining a perfectly good car.

LOL that my exhaust looks "out of place", come back when you have a mans car :)

Edited by Pashley26

Mk6 Golf R wheel will look silly, totally out of place and won't work without soft coding and loom adjustments for the airbag.

TT Comps (I am presuming) look very small on LC's, light weight wheels and very strong but being 17's they just don't suit the Cupra. (Which was designed for 18" LCR wheels)

Your choice, but I don't see how fitting Audi wheels and seats along with a VW steering wheel is in any way not ruining a perfectly good car.

What happened to you man..You used to be cool.

• Like 1

General thought havnt completely decided yet or even really looked into it! But ok going sound advice on this, how about:

The TT wheels are only a temp thing just to get it home if i decide to get it. But will probably replace them with 3SDM 0.01, I have seen one on them, it looks nice.

Seat wise What seats would would you go for?

Not sure about the steering wheel, i have just seen the price of them and blahhhh. But will be changing the steering wheel so any opinions on that?

Will do <3

Looking at wheels and things smaller wheels if done correctly look nice!

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q199/ashleydunderdale/DSC01137.jpg

Edited by TROYston

An LCR steering wheel is the easiest and best upgrade.

Any Mk4 platform seats will fit, be it leather Recaros like mine, R32 seats, sport A3 half leather seats, or LCR. Stick with a Mk4 platform and they will still feel almost OEM.

The TT wheels will look great if you go low enough, and they are very light. Rota's work very well with Leons, as do BBS CH's which is a little bit the same but still look great.

Edited by Pashley26

Attended another nocturnal training session in the snow. Much more difficult this time, stages were the same but it was icy. Not knowing where you're going on such surfaces = not good. At one point in the woods, while carrying rather a lot of speed a sharp left hand corner appeared in front of me. As soon as I applied the brakes it became apparent that I was on ice so I began looking for a gap between the trees ahead but there wasn't any. So after a proper shot of adrenaline I decided I wasn't going down without a fight, somehow managed to cool down, release the brakes, get the car sideways, floored it and that was enough to keep it on the path. 4wd for the win, if this was an RWD car I'd end up hitting those trees but probably going backwards. It also makes me think that there is a lot of potential in this little thing. Until now I'd never imagine it possible to carry so much speed through such a corner and on ice.

Anyway, the car seems to have some problems and since it's a Jap, I'm completely lost. There's a red light on with this symbol on it: ( ! ). The rev counter sometimes stops working (CPS?), idle is sometimes at 3k, sometimes the engine has big problems with maitaining a smooth idle and the revs jump between 700 and 2k (MAF/MAP sensor?). Sometimes if the idle is smooth, it will have a problem with maitaining set revs at minimal throttle. Any more throttle and it's fine. It drives and pulls well.

Furthermore, the reason I had to finish early today was heating. The car keeps overheating. Or it's too cold. The heater rarely works (which is a problem when it's -16 outside), the engine temp is a mess, sometimes it will creep up to maximum while cruising. Sometimes you're flooring it and it's at minimum. There's no thermostat so I'd think overheating is not possible. The system is open, it's not pressurized. That's strange too? It's got an expansion tank and a manual valve between that and the radiator, when we closed it the hose popped out and it vomited coolant all over the engine bay. The expansion tank is also open, there's just a press-in cap on it which has a bleeder hose. I think there's constantly air trapped in the system, even if you bleed it, the problem reoccurs.

I'm thinking blown gasket?

Edited by Greetings

I think Jardo's full of crap myself and can see where allen is coming from :(

It's not what you say jardo, it's the way you say it.

You've always been light hearted and mildly offensive, which has always been quite funny, but the past 3 months you appear to have developed a superiority complex whereby you genuinely believe that you're better than anyone.

Not just here, on audi-sport too, rather than simply disagreeing with someone and explaining why, you put them down, insult them, and generally try to appear the superior, when really all it is, is a DIFFERENT opinion. Not better.

It's quite annoying. Just chill out. Internet debates used to be fun.

Sorry mate. If this post annoys you, think how I feel to have cause to post the above.

And for reference to your 'come back when you've got a mans car' comment, The leon cupra Troyston is looking at has 30bhp more than your car came with, and an identical chassis, so that's a bit of an own goal there isn't it?

Cheers Ad... that page (and photo!) leaves a lot to be desired! But yeah Aero Engineering degree followed by a doctorate in rally car aerodynamics and now manage and consult for the University wind tunnels :).
Dave's degree is actually in rocket science, and he knows his shit

Greetings, with regards to the cooling, I'd start by putting a thermostat back in it. Some cars need it to be present for the cooling system to work, VW engines among others use it's presence as a diverter valve to circulate the coolant around the rad when open, but when closed they divert the flow to keep the coolant circulating the block but not rad, rather than just blocking flow completely, to prevent hot-spots. Remove the stat completely and rather than the coolant all going through the rad as you expect, it all just goes where it likes, meaning lots of the coolant is bypassing the rad and not doing any real cooling. I couldn't say for sure if that's the case with yours, but I know it is with some other cars.

As Liam said, it could be the idle control valve giving issues with the idle, it may be built into the throttle body, but a lot of cars that sort of age have it externally. I'd have a look for it, unplug it and see what happens. Should be a bit tricky to start, and idle at a fixed RPM that alters slightly with alternator load, just like an old carb'd car if you don't touch the throttle or choke when cranking.

Better off buying those fairly cheap full setups we discussed in this thread a while back then I suppose.

I'm trying to find decent condition wheels to replace mine with at the same time, but eBay is nuts - the standard wheels I have, people are trying to sell for £200 in the same condition as mine and without tyres!

I want to keep standard wheels, but not the flaking ones I have at present.

Why not just refurb yours then? It's not difficult and you can do them 1 at a time if you use your spare wheel (Assuming you need your car daily).

Short springs on standard shocks isn't a great solution long term, however you might as well use up your standard shocks, it's not like they are worth anything! Those basic shortened ones are only £100 (or £140 with springs but I would rather have the Eibachs) so you will probably have enough time to save for them whilst you kill the standards :)