The Car Thread

MadManMike

people like pictures of cars right?

it's getting slammed in a day so there'll be an update...

72956_618657690526_422446856_n.jpg

23341_618657675556_1628151256_n.jpg

480845_618657935036_863610701_n.jpg

cheeky pic of Dan's...

486135_618657930046_543174056_n.jpg

542362_618658059786_1725926710_n.jpg

viola.

plans are coilovers & spacers for now, pretty much going for OEM+ don't know if I can be bothered to throw much more money at it, not sure if it's worth it!

Steve

Judging from those pictures it'll need a new hub, wishbone and track-rod, and more than likely outer track-rod end and CV joint too. Going off it being a hard enough hit to break the hub like that there's a good chance that the shock and or strut will be bent too, and there's a good chance the steering rack'll be damage. plus looking at the hub the ABS sensor could well be shagged as well. I'd also not be surprised if the brake hose has been kinked/pulled on and needs replacing. Fair bit to do, but it's well worth fixing for that price, just find any mk4 golf based car in a scrap yard and remove basically the hole corner of it's running gear. (Make sure it's got bolt on break carriers, not ones built into the hub and make sure it's not an R32/S3/LCR/TT Quattro as they've got different hubs and CV joints.)

That Golf should look good after a little altitude adjustment, I do like mk4 estates.

Edited by RobinJI

Judging from those pictures it'll need a new hub, wishbone and track-rod, and more than likely outer track-rod end and CV joint too. Going off it being a hard enough hit to break the hub like that there's a good chance that the shock and or strut will be bent too, and looking at the hub the ABS sensor could well be shagged as well.

Do you think i can get all these parts <£300 dont really want to spend 600 on something im not keeping! I guess loads of MK4 golf things would fit?

Yeah, just edited my post while you were posting. Any mid-spec Golf/Bora/Leon/Toledo/2wd TT/A3 should work fine. Some of the low spec cars (the 1.4/1.6 16v golfs in particular I think) have the brake carriers built into the hub, so that wouldn't be any use, and the top spec stuff (TT Quattro/S3/R32) use different hubs and wishbones, so they wouldn't be any use, otherwise it's all the same stuff though. Well, that said the damper could well be a different rating depending on what you get it off, I don't know for sure though. Couldn't say about price, if it was all coming from the same car from the same place I'd hope it'd come in at well under that, but buy it bit-buy-bit and you might struggle. I'd probably put a brand new rod-end and brake hose on there while it's apart though.

Edited by RobinJI

So, almost crashed. Badly.

Was going same speed as everyone else, round a corner and the car starts to slide over to the other side of the road. Next thing you know I'm snaking around on the other side of the road trying not to spin.

My tyres f**king SUCK. Need to win some new wheels badly.

• Like 1

I'm trying to persuade Steve to spend £750 on some Land Rover Mondials with tyres and adapters... They look SO good on Mk4 Estates...

Can anyone make sense of this?
537356_10152459639590317_1372952195_n.jp

I did a log in VAG Com in 3rd gear between 2-3000rpm. Trying to solve my boost issue! It goes into limp mode if I rev it up too high in 5th, and it seems to lack boost. I've cleaned out the turbo and inlet manifold before, and also replaced the N75 and have cleaned the MAF sensor. Still goes into limp mode!
I'm guessing it's a boost leak somewhere, and I've checked all the pipes but can't see anything obvious! I've ordered some silicone vacuum hose to replace all the old ones, might help... maybe the car will like all the new blue hoses. That makes it faster, right?
I've checked the actuator arm for movement too, by fitting a hose to the top of it, and sucking. I can see the rod moving up with pressure, and it looks like it holds it too! But I cant be too sure...

The fault code i'm getting is p17965 - Charge Pressure Control: Positive Deviation

shit the bed, that leons had some impact to break a hub like that!

I just threw one of those hubs in the skip on sunday too, and a pair of old wishbones.

Should be able to get all the parts to fix that for less than £100 easily, and it's maybe 2 hours work tops to fix.

Well worth it at £300.

They're not the original wheels from the car either. they're from a later leon cupra.

Greg: ST2 R sounds good! Have you got a downpipe on there as well with the miltek system?

I just threw one of those hubs in the skip on sunday too, and a pair of old wishbones.

Should be able to get all the parts to fix that for less than £100 easily, and it's maybe 2 hours work tops to fix.

Well worth it at £300.

They're not the original wheels from the car either. they're from a later leon cupra.

Greg: ST2 R sounds good! Have you got a downpipe on there as well with the miltek system?

Yeh mate its got a large bore decat down pipe with the non res cat back so it's a full system.

I'll get some videos up of the car at the weekend using launch control ect.

What are peoples opinions on a Mk4 Golf V6? It's had a full stainless steel exhaust put on, and had a stage 2 Revo re map. I might be buying it in the next couple of months. It runs nicely, and is in top condition. Only problem with it is its on some really chavvy alloys.

Well worth it at £300.

The guy is a complete drunk so i imagine he was pissed when it happened.

No!!! couldn't by any-chance salvage them for me please mr Prawn? <3

Ah sweet, going to phone a few breakers yards tomorrow to find out if they have any of the parts in, but saying that have gave me a lot of confidance its a good buy! Already got a swap in line for when its done, Hopefully it will be this Sunday if all goes according to plan. Ill keep the thread updated with its progress :)

Does anyone on here do powdercoating or alloy refurbing?

Struggling to find a decent set of alloys & tyres so considering buying new tyres for mine and getting the wheels refurbed.

I can't really wait for a decent set to show up, mine are dangerous - they let air out over the course of a few days and the tyres may as well be made of olive oil.

back again today, more pics.... spamspamspamspamspam.

needs spacers next.

554480_618719461736_636903660_n.jpg

150809_618719551556_1133211549_n.jpg

423107_618719571516_997851675_n.jpg

734814_618724351936_1405958359_n.jpg

went with JOM's as a mate had a set practically brand new and offered to me at a good price.

it's no performance car but handling isn't that bad, less bouncy than I expect and generally quite a good ride. good enough for the road handling wise and not too uncomfortable.

Steve

Yeah, people seem to dislike sponges for some reason, but there's worse things to wash a car with. Like a brick. Or a cheese grater.. a filing cabinet, a red-wood, a DVD, a belt, a Tasmanian devil, a potato waffle, deodorant, a pencil, another car, a chair, a laptop, a kayak paddle, tony blair, asphalt, vernier calipers.... the list's quite large actually, all things considered I'd have said a sponge was actually quite a good option. Like you say, keep them crap free and I don't really see the issue. I think Dans attitude towards it's pretty spot on, it's the law of deminishing returns in my eyes; yes, you can spend half your life and loads of money making your car look perfect, but 99.9% of people that see it wouldn't be able to tell that you'd done anything more than regularly sponged it down and occasionally polished it. To a point detailing's well worth it, but beyond that point It just seems like a massive amount of effort for such a tiny, tiny reward.

Edited by RobinJI
  • Like 3

The way I see it, my car is coming up to 185k miles, it has some lacquer peel here and there, the paint on the rear arches has been attacked by previous rear tyres, and there's a few tiny car park dings on it. It's a daily driver, not a show car! I like all the little blemishes though to a point, makes it a bit more honest?

What do people use if they don't use a sponge? I must be so bad cause that's all I've ever used :P

What do people think of my wheels?

EB014247-D279-4F84-AD5B-A2B2DB44C399-517

I'm not totally sure about the black. I don't reall want to splash out on some new wheels, I was thinking more of a colour change. Something like white, silver or gold? I'm getting tempted to do them a kind of satin type gold colour?

• Like 1