The Car Thread

MadManMike

Its not that bad, as long as you're methodical. You dont actually have to completely take the front off, you can just slide the front panel (with the radiator, lights, a/c rad etc) into "service position", and leave everything connected, but I hadn't done this type of engine before, so wanted an unobstructed view.

Meh, considering the money spent I'm not overly happy with the result of the suspension work on the Volvo. Front dampers are excellent, but the front lowering springs didn't drop it quite as far as I'd hoped. The rear however is a bit lower, but the dampers are utterly useless. They are supposed to be designed for a stiff "heavy duty" type application, but they are far worse than the old ones. And to make matters worse, we somehow managed to damage one of the old rear dampers in the process so I can't put them back in. Unfortunately I bought the "new" dampers second-hand from America, so trying to send two of them back wouldn't be easy.

I'm going to talk to Bilstein and see if I can get them re-valved, but that's gonna cost a fair whack. Not cool at all. :(

I've been following the tried and tested route, but as you suggest there may be a few other types that could be made to fit.

I can't really sell the Bilstein's in their current seemingly knackered state, so I feel I might as well get them fixed up. I find it hard to believe that "heavy duty" dampers from such a quality brand would wear out like this. :S

Rods next month, wahoo.

Is there any point in doing that? Since I am guessing it runs out of puff about 6.5k anyway, so raising the rev limit isn't going to do much? Or are you planning a lot of other upgrades at the same time? Or am I being retarded?

Is there any point in doing that? Since I am guessing it runs out of puff about 6.5k anyway, so raising the rev limit isn't going to do much? Or are you planning a lot of other upgrades at the same time? Or am I being retarded?

It's the valve train the governs the rpm it can do.

Better rods to take the extra boost over oem spec.

Edited by LiamWood!

A bit of both :)

Rods will ensure my car can take anything I can throw at it in the future. Whilst the pistons and crank are good for 500bhp+, rods seem to bend anywhere between standard power and 300bhp.

f**k knows why VAG thought to use such widely varying quality of parts in an engine haha.

Next month I/Phil are both fitting rods to our engines, he is fitting £480 rods...Because "that's how much they cost."

Partly in the name of science and partly out of being a stinge my rods are £138 and widely available on eBay.

I am also buying a medium sized hybrid turbo which uses all my current fixing points and hardware £269...

So for the less than Phils rods I can have both and hopefully around 260/270bhp.

The reason why I am going this way is because in America EVERYONE with a 1.8t has a $1200 cheap ebay GT28 setup and has 350bhp. So they have to work.

Lots of guys on Driftworks and the like buy these turbos for £200 then run them for a year and if they last send them off to be rebuilt or throw them in the spares bin for next year. If they fail they box them up and send them back because they have a one year warranty.

And obviously we have got Simon who has some frankenstein second hand ebay special turbo which gets rinsed and loves it whilst making huge power and never breaking.

Apparently it is all down the the fitment of the hardware and the quality isn't bad at all.

Edited by Pashley26

Now off to "The Fast Show" at Santa Pod. Sounds a bit chavvy, but meh, its not too far from mine. Only going to VAG shows gets a bit tedious too, I like seeing what "the scene" is doing in other marques.

Just hope the weather brightens up a bit!

(Paul, if you're reading this, I took some pictures of that 944 this morning, Ill upload them when I'm home. Can't say for certain because of the rain on the windows, but it looked very much like it had only done 32k!)

• Like 1

I was going to go stancework but my golfs not got a mot and it'll be pig central there. Cars booked in on Monday though so I'll be at future meets...

Shame as it'll be good to meet with some of you guys in person. And madmanmike probably ideal to take you out in my car riding on JOMs so you have a feel of what they're really like!

Oh well...

Steve

Probably the most boring video from me yet, anyway...

Came 3rd in class 2 which is full of highly tuned Seicentos and Cinquecentos. Pretty good result I think considering that 2,5 runs were done on a mostly wet track with little snow :)

Long compilation, it's amazing how badly people drive in these conditions.

Also drove my dentist's M5 yesterday, he kept nagging me to give it the beans so I did, after a short while of accelerating I decided to back off since I thought we were doing about 120mph, turned out it was 170. Fastest I've ever been in a car. Ridiculous power, it's just so relentless.

• Like 1