The Car Thread

MadManMike

Yet another video from me... sorry.

This time at Blyton Park. Weather forecast was good but typically it was wrong!

'Timeline':

First minute or so: Going sideways

1:12 onwards: Some nearly dry laps, but tyres refused to get any heat in them.

6:05 onwards: Gradually wetter conditions, snow at the end.

12:07 onwards: Chap from MX5 Nutz forum in the passenger seat, I managed to drive through a huge puddle and soak him smiley9.gif Sound is crap cos the mic was getting soaked so I had to take it out of the car!

You know what really gets on my tits?!

c**ts, utter c**ts that think their piece of shit is so amazing that they have to park it sideways across two spaces at a show just so everyone can see how "totes amazeballs" their over compensating cars are. When people all around them have parked like normal human beings.

All it does is show that the owner of that car went to that show just to massage their own ego.

I made this meme to try and explain it better -

3tfgx7_zps4d4360ad.jpg

And on that bomb shell I would just like to say that I did get out of bed the right side this morning, it just really annoys me.

Making pictures is a meme, and that picture is of a meme, but you didn't make a meme.

Jardo, if you're talking about the parking at the Stance Works thing, then I'm pretty sure EVERY car is parked diagonally, which is fair really, no one wants to see a row of front lights. Meets in car parks always work better if every 2 cars take up 3 spaces, otherwise no one can get decent photos, and it becomes an inevitability that someone's car will get scratched by someone squeezing past it on foot. 2 spaces per car when everyone else is parked fine's a bit excessive, and can be annoying, but I always leave more space around the car than I would if I was parking normally, because looking at cars is the idea of a meet, and if you can't see them because they're door to door it's a bit shit. Depends how much space there is though, sometimes you've got to squeeze up.

In my car news, I got around to fitting my Poly engine mounts over the weekend, and it's made my car ridiculously loud to be inside. I'm going to give it some time to let them settle in, but if it doens't get a fair bit less harsh then I'll be removing a couple of them. The engine's got 4 mounts, 2 to take the weight and 2 to control rotation, I was planning to only replace the rotation ones with polyeurophane, but when I had it all apart I got a bit carried away and decided to give them all a go, seems like it was a mistake, oh well.

I'd definitely be up for a meet as long as it's planned a little ahead so I've got time to make sure I'm free. Anywhere between Bristol and Oxford's fine by me, I don't really fancy going any further than Oxford though, as that's pretty far as it is. (~2.5 hours ~130 miles). Not really sure where would be good in Oxford though, there's sod all multistory car-parks if it's raining. There's a few half decent out of town pubs about though.

Yeah I don't mind oxford, Milton Keynes is too far east for you southern fairys and bristol is abit far for me. Keep adding names thou lads, only if genuinely interested. It'd be unfair to move the meet to suit someone who's no intention of showing.

http://volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=169239&page=9

Mike, there's a rather confusing thread for you to read regarding the sale of this car. I'd say it needs £100 knocked off.

The guy seems like a douche bag... It's most likely a wreck, I don't trust him from that thread to be honest. Avoid.

Cheers for the link!

Anyone got any ideas of small-ish, fast and fun cars around the £1,500 mark?

Looking at insurance options as I can't afford a Cupra / A3 / Golf GTI 1.8t...

Scirocco's are still dirt cheap, you'd get a mint one with a fair bit of change for £1500, infact you might even manage to get a 16v converted one for that, which would be a good laugh. Being old and a bit unusual they're fairly cheap to insure too. Depends if you like quirky 80's stuff or not though, but if you like that Volvo I'm guessing you do :P

PS, Oxford's looking a little less central on The Map having added Jolfa and Rainbird, Swindon looks more central, but I guess it's up to you guys at the far reaches to argue it out, I'm not arsed as long as it's Oxford or closer :P

Edited by RobinJI

1. TB Mansfield, ng17
2. Mike, TN34
3. Robin, Chard, TA20
4. Jardo, Plymuf, PL2
5. Spunky, Norwich NR16
6. Jolfa, Cornwall TR12
7. Rainbird, PL4
8. Dan. MK18

Milton Keynes/Oxford is perfect for me!

Mike - I parked across from the Camper and the little matte black ...thing. Had Bessell's Evo one side and a lovely Silver MK5 on BBS with blue leather interior!

I'm guessing Mr Prawn will be up for this too, but then he's pretty central in baisingstoke anyway so doesn't really matter :P Oxford's still looking fairly good, but then it's one hell of a trip for poor Jolfa! Is there anywhere in the Oxford/Swindon area we could meet that would make a better meeting place than just a pub/carpark? Any museums/events/nice driving areas or anything? Actually being somewhere interesting would be a nice bonus, especially for those of us with a long drive.

I'm guessing Skoze might be up for this too? (no idea really though, just a guess) Which would add another person from the east.

Edited by RobinJI

Ah I probably wouldn't come anyway, just being awkward/bragging about my move, anywhere in the country is a bloody trek for me now! :lol:

Inters will be my one car related trip back up norf methinks :D

Edited by Jolfa