The Car Thread

MadManMike

Put me down as well, postcode SP2.

I have finally been paid for my car (Minus the excess which won't be paid until the other party admits fault, I last checked on Monday and they had still not heard anything from the Portuguese insurance company!). I'm already getting fed up of trawling the internet for a replacement car :P

• Like 2

I'm liking the idea of karting for the meet. There's a fairly good track on the Cowley side of Oxford. The surface is a bit shit, but it's quite a fun twisty course and the guys there are really laid back. It doesn't sound great, but we went a few times while I was at uni there and it was great fun, as they were fine with a little dicking around and the lack of traction makes for a lot of fun. The shit surface means there's some skill to finding the fastest line too, as it's often not what you'd expect. They even let us out in the snow over winter, brilliant fun! :PI'm up for somewhere more professional if people want though, I just found that place quite fun as it didn't take it's self too seriously.

Sounds ideal, I'm sure there would be a lot of dicking around, haha.

My only worry is, last time I went go-karting was with work, and I broke the axle of the work brown-noser's kart in 2, and broke his finger by punting him off so hard (so Jardo, make sure you're never infront of me :P)

Mike, good news on the coilovers, although I've been pleased with my cheap ones for the money, I'd love something a bit nicer as there is clearly room for improvement. Doesn't look like there's any TeamSport tracks that are at all central in the country unfortunately.

This is the track I was thinking of: www.kartingoxford.co.uk Only trouble is the area's nothing special, so if we're camping and stuff it's not the greatest place. There is an alright campsite a bit outside Oxford on the other side, nightmare to drive there at rush hour but any other time would be ok. Plenty of pubs about to have a drink in the evening too if we're doing that. I'm more than happy to go elsewhere though if there's any more interesting suggestions. I know loads of places down here that'd be ideal, but I don't exactly expect all you lot to make your way down here to the shire! :P

Edited by RobinJI

Somebody with local knowledge needs to pick a suitable place. I think most people will be down for whatever. Oxford is pretty far for me, but I'm sure it will be worth it, especially if a weekend is made of it. I like the idea of go-karting, then going out for something to eat? Not so much the sleeping in a tent, but like Mike said, I'll go with the majority.

Alternative to tents, although a bit dire would be to rent a static caravan thing I guess? A bit less effort/cold, and would probably work out pretty cheap per person. There's always the cheap hotel option too. My local knowledge of Oxfords pretty limited, as I was only there for a year, but it's enough to find a couple of pubs and a go-kart track haha. I'll bow down to a proper locals knowledge though, and I'm open to places other than Oxford. Oxford (or at least the area around Oxford) seems pretty central though, Google recons there's only 10 minutes difference in your drive there and Jardo/Rainbirds. I think you guys are the furthest away, so seems fair to be halfway between you.

Edited by RobinJI

Right then guys and dolls, I see a plan needing formulation...

Oxford, reasonable car park/ pub or us all to grab a bite in and generally shoot the breeze.

I would vote for karting but the last time I went I got physically battered due to not fitting in a kart too good :P

So, I propose this...

Karting Saturday for those who want it, then pub meet from (for the sake of argument) 5pm, then camping/travelodge. Then Sunday extended car meet/drive to somewhere good. Either down good roads or a good location?

How's that grabbing folk?

Anyone in the Oxfordshire area know of such a good pub to base at?

The Eagle and Child is a good pub, however it is in the city centre of Oxford.

I did mention it before, but there is a free multi story car park in Witney that people meet at regularly from the area, as long as people don't act like idiots which in sure people from here won't the people who look over it don't really mind. Witney is also only about 15 miles from Oxford. Plenty of decent roads around this way as well, depending on what sort of road you like.

There are a few camp sites too dotted around which would be decent.

If the meet happens after Easter time, my family have two static caravans on a lake I can always ask if we can use for the weekend. Also has water skiing if anyone fancys that!