The Car Thread

MadManMike

You are a bodging fanny :P

He asked why the light was on, so I said why. Didn't realise I had to give your life story!

Liam, it doesn't hinder performance at all, quite the opposite in the k04 turboed engines. On Jardo's engine, its just an emmisions thing. It can be mapped out, which gets rid of the light.

Neither really, it does nothing on K03 cars to aid performance or anything.

On Seamons car it is constantly working and adjusting to match engine loads, but on mine although it is the same ecu and almost the same engine once warm it just acts as a tensioner for the cam link chain.

The new head I got didn't have VVT and as it does nothing I couldn't be bothered to swap it across. Fitting a worn VVT unit and tensioner onto a new chain and head would be a stupid idea, and I couldn't be bothered to get a new tensioner.

Within the last few weeks Niki at R Tech has been able to manipulate VVT to work with a K03 car to help in a performance way, I might re-fit it, I might not.

Dunno if I can be bothered.

Edited by Pashley26

Had one of the best days in months. We went to a practice session at "rallyland", a deserted military airfield that had been converted for motorsport use. With about 20cm of snow, we had a plow set a very long (7-8 minute) stage on the airfield and around it. Daihatsu performed brilliantly until my friend broke the clutch on it, previously breaking the clutch on his Subaru Type R. It wasn't really his fault but it was rather amusing that he destroyed two clutches today. Mine was completely shot, with the engine running you could engage gears effortlessly without using the clutch. He offered to pay for the repair but I refused since it failed literally minutes after he took my car.

Car definitely needs more power, we'll be looking into a VTEC engine this summer but probably a single cam since a B16A2 would give the car over 200bhp/tonne. That could be major overkill. Hope it won't be too difficult to mate this gearbox to a Honda motor.

Will post some vids later on, meanwhile:

dsc03509hj.jpg

dsc03511m.jpg

dsc03514zk.jpg

dsc03518eb.jpg

dsc03527s.jpg

dsc03528kt.jpg

I'd be in yea.

1. TB Mansfield, ng17

2. Mike, TN34

3. Robin, Chard, TA20

4. Jardo, Plymuf, PL2

5. Spunky, Norwich NR16

6. Jolfa, Cornwall TR12

7. Rainbird, PL4

8. Dan. MK18

9. Steve MK7

10. Skoze, Brighton BN2

11. Paul NG7/IP19

12.Trist, NN13

13. Stuart OX29

14. Liam Dn19

15. Allen LE12

16. Prawn RG22

17. Troy DE14

If this is still happening...

Span my car tonight doing 40mph down the A38. Absolutely shat myself. Camber + snow + slicks on the rear = Bad times.Managed to luckily avoid everything! Winter wheels back on tomorrow i believe.

Well I've decided to keep the corrado and spruce her up so ill get some pics up in the coming months as I hopefully get some bits done to it. Plan is to improve it obviously but keep it looking as if thats how it could of come out of the factory. One of first things is wheels, imgoing to refurb a set myself and have always wanted to try painting I remember someone saying that there dad I think it was owns a paint shop??? Tom booth may be?

Well I've decided to keep the corrado and spruce her up so ill get some pics up in the coming months as I hopefully get some bits done to it. Plan is to improve it obviously but keep it looking as if thats how it could of come out of the factory. One of first things is wheels, imgoing to refurb a set myself and have always wanted to try painting I remember someone saying that there dad I think it was owns a paint shop??? Tom booth may be?

I'm a painter/have a workshop/access to a big paintshop..Bit far from you mind..

Yeah it seems pretty good - my friend has tested some sky blue on one of his spare rims, seems pretty tough.

Apparently 4 or 5 coats is good and if you get fed up with it you can just peel it off. Managed to find "spraynwrap" stuff which is 4 cans for £37.50 delivered.

I'm a painter/have a workshop/access to a big paintshop..Bit far from you mind..
I was meaning a paint shop, where they sell actual tins of paint. I've got a compressor at home and a gun although I may buy one I know is actually decent and fancy having ago. I planned on getting a space heater and using that to help bake paint on.

Car lords: looking at this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2005-Seat-Leon-1-9-TDI-Cupra-FR-150BHP-/261173357347?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3ccf252b23 - any comments? Are those calipers meant to be red? or has someone messed with them? I'd prefer a car that hasn't been fiddled with.

My fabia is due for a service, mot and tax in 6 days time, as a cost of around £300 I guess - assuming the MOT doesn't bring anything up. Any idea's how much an 04 silver fabia vrs, 92,000 miles might get me part exchange? I'm tempted to make a rash decision and trade it in.

I wouldn't part-ex it mate, you never get a good deal unless you trade in a total shitter.

Looks like a nice car, I wanted an FR until I got an insurance quote :(

And yes, I believe the calipers are meant to be red - I'm sure all the FR's and LCR's I've seen have them, someone will correct me if I'm wrong I'm sure.

• Like 1

....Car definitely needs more power, we'll be looking into a VTEC engine this summer but probably a single cam since a B16A2 would give the car over 200bhp/tonne. That could be major overkill. Hope it won't be too difficult to mate this gearbox to a Honda motor....

Looks like amazing fun! With regards to sticking a honda lump in the dihatsu, I think the main issue would be it rotating the wrong way! The honda engines sit on the left, gearbox on the right, and rotate anti-clockwise if you're looking at the belt end. So if you turned it around to stick on the Dihatsu box you'd end up with 5 reverse gears and one rather slow forward gear! If you want something with a similar character/power to the single-cam V-tecs then a Toyota 4AGE might be a nice option that'd spin the right way.

Sounds like it'd make a cool little car, and I like the fact you're deliberately not going silly with the power.

Edited by RobinJI

I wouldn't part-ex it mate, you never get a good deal unless you trade in a total shitter.

Looks like a nice car, I wanted an FR until I got an insurance quote :(

And yes, I believe the calipers are meant to be red - I'm sure all the FR's and LCR's I've seen have them, someone will correct me if I'm wrong I'm sure.

A quick look on gocompare suggests my insurance should drop a bit, but I'd have to double check.

A few problems have surfaced with my vrs recently, all pretty minor but they seem to be stacking up: boot doesn't open unless you open a rear door first (actually it was like that when I got it), no warning sound when I leave the lights on, the bonnet switch is dodgy and thinks the bonnet is open so it won't let me put my intermittent wipers on (I can 'fix' this by disconnecting the sensor..), the coolant warning light comes on sometimes but fixes itself if you restart it (needs a new thermometer thingy it seems - quickish fix) and there is a 'squeak from the aux belt' which I don't know anything about really - so it sort of is a shitter. Although it does go pretty well.

Soooo, for the sake of not having to actually sell it (and feel guilty about the issues), and get it serviced and MOTd, and having to find £3500 up front, I'm tempted to trade it and be done with it - assuming he can give me a half decent part exchange deal. Webuyanycar says its worth £2500, so going on that price, trading in the car plus £1100 on top... seems tempting (actually less tempting now I've done some actual maths :D)

ok car genius' or is that genii? anyway, having a bit of trouble with my car, 56 plate volvo c30, 2.0d, 68,000 miles.

basically put clutch pedal down at junction, pedal vibrated and there was a rattling sound, in middle of town so had no choice but to carry on, pulled off, clutch slipped when turbo kicked in then grabbed, did this once today, and has been fine since, biting point is very high, the car will pull off in 3rd with the clutch being let out normally, also the car will roll down a mildly steep hill in 6th gear, only just trying to turn over? does this sound like i need a new clutch? also if this is the case i guess its worth putting a new dual mass flywheel in at the same time? can get LUK full kit for 350, what sort of price should i be paying for fitting? i know its quite a big job and not gonna come cheap, also i got the car 11 months ago from a volvo dealer with a years warranty, should i be speaking to them requesting a contribution or am i just going to have to suck it up myself?

Alot of questions in there, so any help is much apprciated, loz