The Car Thread

MadManMike

Looks like amazing fun! With regards to sticking a honda lump in the dihatsu, I think the main issue would be it rotating the wrong way! The honda engines sit on the left, gearbox on the right, and rotate anti-clockwise if you're looking at the belt end. So if you turned it around to stick on the Dihatsu box you'd end up with 5 reverse gears and one rather slow forward gear! If you want something with a similar character/power to the single-cam V-tecs then a Toyota 4AGE might be a nice option that'd spin the right way.

Sounds like it'd make a cool little car, and I like the fact you're deliberately not going silly with the power.

Cheers! Very interesting point, one we didn't consider at all.

There's apparently a 110/120bhp 1600cc Daihatsu Applause engine which should fit this car. Could be an easy alternative. The other is tuning of the current engine. Judging by the vid below, there's a lot of potential in this little engine.

And the video from Friday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVVD-0F_0_c

Particularly proud of 5:26, took me ages to get that part right.

Yep they have been painted red. The FR comes with the same brakes as the Cupra, it's only the Cupra R's that have red Brembo's as standard.

The FR's have Cupra R bumpers, silver mirrors, that love or hate black/grey interior and 17" versions of the Cupra R wheels. Most of the FR's you will see are diesel although I recently learnt that it was also available with a 1.8t petrol engine.

Also note - The front splitter has been ripped off and it appear that part of it still on the passenger side :P

Had to lend a mate 2 of my winter steels today as her brothers 13" steels didnt fit over the callipers.
Her fronts were fully slicked but not showing cords which looked rather cool.

Anyone here installed LED lights instead of bulbs? I'm wanting to replace the side lights with some nice bright white LEDs. Any tips/recommendations.

Tax and insurance due next week :'(

Edited by TROYston

ok car genius' or is that genii? anyway, having a bit of trouble with my car, 56 plate volvo c30, 2.0d, 68,000 miles.

basically put clutch pedal down at junction, pedal vibrated and there was a rattling sound, in middle of town so had no choice but to carry on, pulled off, clutch slipped when turbo kicked in then grabbed, did this once today, and has been fine since, biting point is very high, the car will pull off in 3rd with the clutch being let out normally, also the car will roll down a mildly steep hill in 6th gear, only just trying to turn over? does this sound like i need a new clutch? also if this is the case i guess its worth putting a new dual mass flywheel in at the same time? can get LUK full kit for 350, what sort of price should i be paying for fitting? i know its quite a big job and not gonna come cheap, also i got the car 11 months ago from a volvo dealer with a years warranty, should i be speaking to them requesting a contribution or am i just going to have to suck it up myself?

Alot of questions in there, so any help is much apprciated, loz

Get it back to the dealership. They've provided you with the warranty, and you're 11 months into said warranty.

You might be cutting it slim, but you're within the rights and should be entitled to a contribution towards/replacement unit.

Anyone here installed LED lights instead of bulbs? I'm wanting to replace the side lights with some nice bright white LEDs. Any tips/recommendations.

Cheap and last ages, Best budget ones I have used :) Got some festoon bulbs from them too and had no issues with LEDs burning out. Used to buy them straight from China but can't be bothered with the waiting time!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370729528728?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Yep they have been painted red. The FR comes with the same brakes as the Cupra, it's only the Cupra R's that have red Brembo's as standard.

The FR's have Cupra R bumpers, silver mirrors, that love or hate black/grey interior and 17" versions of the Cupra R wheels. Most of the FR's you will see are diesel although I recently learnt that it was also available with a 1.8t petrol engine.

Also note - The front splitter has been ripped off and it appear that part of it still on the passenger side :P

I think my old FR had black/grey seats and that didn't have the cupra body kit on it... can't fully remember though.

Good spot about the front splitter thing! I think I might give it a miss: more miles than mine, broken splitter thing, it has a dent too thats not mentioned on the listing and painted calipers (the painted calipers are more of a warning sign to me... you could argue that its been looked after, but could also argue that a car 'enthusiast' has had it and ragged it about a bit - quite an assumption to make but I like things to be left as they're meant to be :P)

Just ordered a new bonnet catch for mine too which includes the all important micro switch, so hopefully that should fix my locking and wiper problem - that will make me moderately more happy with it.

Had to lend a mate 2 of my winter steels today as her brothers 13" steels didnt fit over the callipers. Her fronts were fully slicked but not showing cords which looked rather cool. Anyone here installed LED lights instead of bulbs? I'm wanting to replace the side lights with some nice bright white LEDs. Any tips/recommendations. Tax and insurance due next week :'(
I've had mine in ages now, funnily enough its stopped them from blowing all the time, must draw a lower current than normal bulbs. And they look boss when its just starting to get dark

Tom, others,

I'm looking for a new car in the near future. Originally I was going to purchase a 1.8 Focus Zetec as it would be a practical, safe choice. However, I'm now considering something with a little more oomph and maybe something I can tinker a little with. Could anyone give me a brief run down of the Leon models and the ones to avoid/go for etc? That would be very much appreciated!

Cheers,

Dave

The ones most people go for are the Cupra/Cupra R which are 1.8 turbo petrol cars (180 and 225bhp respectively as standard), or one of the derv variants (ideally a 150pd, but the 110 isn't a bad car either, all depends on needs/desires really)

What sort of mileage and economy are you after and how much are you considering spending?

Massive amount of car for your money and prices are really good at the mo for buyers - I've been chuffed to bits with mine (Cupra) for the near-6 months I've had it :)

The ones most people go for are the Cupra/Cupra R which are 1.8 turbo petrol cars (180 and 225bhp respectively as standard), or one of the derv variants (ideally a 150pd, but the 110 isn't a bad car either, all depends on needs/desires really)

What sort of mileage and economy are you after and how much are you considering spending?

Massive amount of car for your money and prices are really good at the mo for buyers - I've been chuffed to bits with mine (Cupra) for the near-6 months I've had it :)

I guess my question would be what sort of MPG is achievable with the different variants? Ideally 30MPG+ if possible? I'm no stranger to fixing cars/motorbikes so I don't mind buying a car which needs a bit of work. What sort of price would a Cupra go for with "average" miles?

I guess my question would be what sort of MPG is achievable with the different variants? Ideally 30MPG+ if possible? I'm no stranger to fixing cars/motorbikes so I don't mind buying a car which needs a bit of work. What sort of price would a Cupra go for with "average" miles?

I average around 30mpg at the mo, but that's from pretty short, start-stop and rural trips. On the run home after collecting the car I saw almost 40mpg and wasn't exactly hanging about. I believe Prawn and Jardo are averaging roughly 35mpg from what I can recall. That's in an A3 with the same engine, though somewhat modified. Perhaps Seamons/Robin can give an idea of what they get too?

The diesels will obviously get rather more than that economy-wise. I think I remember Craigs PD150 Leon getting around 45mpg when he was driving it pretty hard, so sensible driving would be pretty nuts on that front. You'll pay a couple of grand more for a tidy diesel though.

I paid £1500 for mine on 100k (with FSH and spec) and it's really tidy, though I did rather well there. Ticcy paid £2500 or so for his in the same sort of spec/condition and that was pretty good going too so I'd aim around the £2-2.5k mark for something reasonable with perhaps a little tidying up to do if you wanted to save some cash.

Look what just turned up...

Woop. Been looking at JOMs again this week myself - Anyone able to give me a rundown of what else I should really be buying to go with these if I go ahead? Top mounts/bearing etc seems to be mentioned a fair bit, and potentially the ARB thoguh I'd only be looking at around a 35-40mm drop so may be able to get away without - clarification would be cool.

Guessing fitting would be an afternoon's work once you know what the deal is?

I average around 30mpg at the mo, but that's from pretty short, start-stop and rural trips. On the run home after collecting the car I saw almost 40mpg and wasn't exactly hanging about. I believe Prawn and Jardo are averaging roughly 35mpg from what I can recall. That's in an A3 with the same engine, though somewhat modified. Perhaps Seamons/Robin can give an idea of what they get too?

The diesels will obviously get rather more than that economy-wise. I think I remember Craigs PD150 Leon getting around 45mpg when he was driving it pretty hard, so sensible driving would be pretty nuts on that front. You'll pay a couple of grand more for a tidy diesel though.

I paid £1500 for mine on 100k (with FSH and spec) and it's really tidy, though I did rather well there. Ticcy paid £2500 or so for his in the same sort of spec/condition and that was pretty good going too so I'd aim around the £2-2.5k mark for something reasonable with perhaps a little tidying up to do if you wanted to save some cash.

Woop. Been looking at JOMs again this week myself - Anyone able to give me a rundown of what else I should really be buying to go with these if I go ahead? Top mounts/bearing etc seems to be mentioned a fair bit, and potentially the ARB thoguh I'd only be looking at around a 35-40mm drop so may be able to get away without - clarification would be cool.

Guessing fitting would be an afternoon's work once you know what the deal is?

What year is yours? Are there any preferred model years?

Mine's an early 2003 (on a '52 plate).

They tweaked them a little with a facelift (17" alloys rather than nasty looking 16s, different bumpers and mirrors a little later) arouns 2002, so that's probably the one to go for, though under the bonnet they're nigh on identical so if you plan on changing wheels and are happy to pay a couple of hundred quid for bumpers there's no major gain to be had from going down that route. Very early models (~2000, X and Y reg) had a K03 turbo rather than the K03s which is slightly more limiting if you wanted to play and get a little more power out of it at a later date.

I'll try and dig out the pages in this thread from when I was looking - lots of useful info there that may prove handy to you (Y)

Yeah, that's what I'd seen on a few forums, so fingers crossed. Is it just a case of drop links to go a little lower if needs be?

I'll try and dig out the pages in this thread from when I was looking - lots of useful info there that may prove handy to you (Y)

http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/topic/174368-the-car-thread/?p=2441274

Fair bit of info there and on the next few pages :)

Mine (pre-facelift mirrors as is from during the crossover phase when they seemed to be a bit of a halfway house!):
img1219ny.jpg

Pre-facelift (note wheels, bumpers):
160520108681.jpg

Personally, even if I wasn't going very low I'd still want to do something about the ARB, just because I really don't like the idea of the suspension not being able to use its full travel without clouting part of its self, it seems a little retarded to me.

MPG wise the Scirocco manages ~33mpg with local driving and ~37 on a run, the difference will be more in a leon (as Lukes figures point out) as my cars worse on the motorway thanks to worse aero and small wheels and better around town thanks to weighing about 400kg less.

Got my front poly-bushes fitted on Saturday night, the difference isn't as dramatic as I was expecting, because my old bushes were in much better condition than I was expecting, but it's still noticeable. The cars much more predictable/controllable when it looses traction now, which makes pushing on much nicer, even if the difference in grip isn't huge. Also there's no noticeable difference in comfort, in fact I think it's actually a little smoother now, which is pretty awesome. Can't wait to get the rear ones fitted.

Edited by RobinJI