The Car Thread

MadManMike

The JOM drop links are shit quite frankly, over sized paper weights or dumbells for a midget is all they are good for.

I have been through two sets, bushes went slack within a week and they knocked on both in no time. They offered to replace them for free and I told them to do one.

I refitted the 10 year old 100k standard ones and there was no rubbing or knocking to this day. It's all bollocks.

And mine's fairly low. More than low enough for a daily driver.

And I've got a set of LCR top mounts and bearing you can have for £20, bnib. And I can get your coilovers cheaper.

Edited by Pashley26

Sure about that? JOM are £160 posted from DPM which seems pretty good to me but if you're able to then that's certainly on the cards.

Top mounts could certainly rule though - I assume that the LCR top mounts will fit my LC?

In other news. Lulz.

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?689854-Yes-it-s-a-Beetle-and-No-I-Wont-Cut-Your-Hair

Did you just do that? :P

Do what? :- (It's no secret that despite knowing a little about cars, I'm actually a retard in most other walks of life >_< )

Luke, exhaust wise it depends what you want. I can weld, have access to a 4-post ramp and know how to order pre-bent sections of exhaust tube off the internet, so I can sort of make exhausts, haha. Only trouble is it relies on using the ramp at work and we've got a TVR sat on it with no wheels/suspension/chassis for the next few weeks, not really sure after that.

Also yeah, I made the Scirocco's turbo-back system:

unfinished downpipe and no tailpipe:

DSC_62542.jpg

Downpipe:

DSC_6269.jpg

Nothing amazingly pretty, but all the gasses come out the back and it sounds pretty reasonable, could do with another silencer though, it's a little loud for a daily!

• Like 1

My current average is 19.6mpg...but I only use the car at weekends, and I modified it to the way it is for a reason...economy wasn't it :P

I went to Telford a couple of weekends ago to Ultimate Dubs; that's around a 300 mile round trip, I got 27.6mpg...so its not THAT bad for a car that shows up a LOT of far more expensive/powerful models.

Tom, others,

I'm looking for a new car in the near future. Originally I was going to purchase a 1.8 Focus Zetec as it would be a practical, safe choice. However, I'm now considering something with a little more oomph and maybe something I can tinker a little with. Could anyone give me a brief run down of the Leon models and the ones to avoid/go for etc? That would be very much appreciated!

And if you look at this link you get to see how solid the Leon's are! It saved me from serious injury in that accident so I'm looking to buy another!

http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/topic/174368-the-car-thread/?p=2495972

The 1.8t LC/LCR will get you 30+ MPG, look amazing, 5 door so they are practical, comfortable drive and they are pretty damn nippy when you want them to be :)

I have been shopping for a replacement for over 3 weeks now and I would say there are more overpriced ones on the market than well priced ones, from what I have seen lately me and Rainbird got absolute bargains when we bought our cars!

The JOM drop links are shit quite frankly, over sized paper weights or dumbells for a midget is all they are good for.

I have been through two sets, bushes went slack within a week and they knocked on both in no time. They offered to replace them for free and I told them to do one.

I refitted the 10 year old 100k standard ones and there was no rubbing or knocking to this day. It's all bollocks.

The drop links I got for £28, we'll see how long they last.

Also, I wouldn't throw out "It's all bollocks", when it isn't. Every forum I've asked on have said you need shortened drop links and when I called my local garage to fit them they told me I'd need them too - everywhere I've asked has said up to 40mm drop is fine, after that they will knock / rub unless you get shortened links.

I'm no expert, but I trust the opinion of the people I've asked.

f**k you then, I shall never offer you advice again if you aren't bothering to even acknowledge it.

They will knock, they will be shit and they won't last five minutes.

My car is more than low enough and far lower than 40mm, Prawns old car/Pierres car is more than low enough and even more so than mine. No adjustable drop links there.

Realistically you are looking at a 60mm drop+ to cause rubbing issue. And any more than 60mm and the ride will be under damped and stupid for practicality anyway.

I've had two sets of these...I've even got a set in the garage you can have for free, which are absolutely gleeming because they failed after an amazing 100 mile drive.

-

In better news my search for turbo upgrades for the Audi have led me to the age old T3/T4 setups which Americans love but Europeans never use. Capable of making 300bhp at 20psi in 60.+ trim and costing less than £500 for the turbo, downpipe, manifold as well as larger injectors, maf and adapters for a turbo intake pipe.

Edited by Pashley26
  • Like 1

Haha, you really are a fanny aren't you jardo.

Its bullshit Tom, total f**king bullshit.

The drop links have to be shorter to clear the driveshaft anyway, and at their shortest the adjustable JOM ones are the same length as standard anyway. The only way to get around super lows on a Mk4 chassis is to fit an oversized hoop ARB or to fit a TT style flat ARB. Everything else is just a con and general forum rubbish.

I hope he fits them, and I can't wait until they fail. Maybe then you lot might actually listen to what I say. Because I clearly know more than anybody he's asked about them.

Edited by Pashley26

I never doubted the fact that the JOM ones are crap, I doubted your point about not needing them.

Everywhere I've read, asked, called have said anything over 40mm would probably rub / knock. I tend to go with 30 peoples opinions over 1 persons.

Do yourself a favour and don't buy them/send them back and buy a flat TT style ARB.

Do it right once, it will save you in the long run.

The JOM adjustable drop links do not go shorter than standard, the issue arises when you lower the car the arb moves in as the roll bar tightens up. This causes the rubbing. You need to either make the drop links shorter to bring the roll bar down to give it the same space above the shaft as it did at standard height or fit a larger hoop/different design of bar to remove the issue all together.

As I said the JOM links dl not go short enough to rectify all rubbing, through the lower arms movement they will touch as the suspension moves through its stroke.

I don't care how many people have told you to fit adjustable drop links, they are all idiots who don't have a clue about their car.

Have a read of this to help validate my opinion - uk-mkivs.net/forums/p/215061/1638873.aspx

Edited by Pashley26

Found out the work experience guy at work sold a GT28 over the weekend for £100 :( I'd have snapped that up if I'd known! Jardo, I could do an up and under kit, but I'd need the car here to do it as I've not got anything to test fit it on. Mine wouldn't work as there's no way it'd fit in my engine bay. If I did anything GT28 I'd b just tempted to do a manifold that'd fit mine, and make another for you while I'm at it then just adapt your downpipe, which would also be a much nicer way of fitting it flow wise. Trouble is we're pretty busy at work (as in lead times are increasing pretty quickly at the moment) and I may be looking to move away, so I can't really say anything for sure right now, it'd just be a case of seeing what the deal is at the time should you want it doing.

• Like 2

Itemised response,

1. Its bullshit Tom, total f**king bullshit.

2. Because I clearly know more than anybody he's asked about them.

Not disputing 1, it probably is.

2. Is where your problem is, if you weren't such a gobshite if someone doesn't listen to your opinion, people might take abit more interest in your advice.

No idea if your trolling for the sake of it, and not that fussed really.

That about going over 60mm is stupid for pracicality is bollocks, mines around 90-100mm drop on the back and I can still carry 2 adults in the back with barely any rubbing.

Edit- smooth edit, jdawg.

I'm looking at a top mounted T3/T4 in 60trim now Robin.

I think top mount is the only way to go for you, it removes a lot of the issues associated with big body turbos in confined spaces.

The ATP Eliminator GT28 kit looks insane, and the up and downipe setup is only $249 per pipe. Thow an ebay special GT turbo in, a set of injectors, a 4bar pump and reg, a mafless system for you and you've got a fire breathing 300bhp 1.8t with excellent spool up and drivability for less than £750.

Are you putting rods in yours Robin? Has it got a K03s yet?

You can have my K03s cheap if you want it when it comes off. Could be a good upgrade or a base for a hybrid?

-

Bit of both Tom, I like to troll because it keeps forums alive. But I also dislike giving sound advice to people who need it to be told my opinion is disregarded because the internet says so.

On a Mk4 chassis at the front any more than 60mm will be impossible for him to drive around Hastings without getting annoyed, pot holes and speed bumps galore. That's taking into account his tiny wheels of cause.

Edited by Pashley26

Do yourself a favour and don't buy them/send them back and buy a flat TT style ARB.

Do it right once, it will save you in the long run.

The JOM adjustable drop links do not go shorter than standard, the issue arises when you lower the car the arb moves in as the roll bar tightens up. This causes the rubbing. You need to either make the drop links shorter to bring the roll bar down to give it the same space above the shaft as it did at standard height or fit a larger hoop/different design of bar to remove the issue all together.

As I said the JOM links dl not go short enough to rectify all rubbing, through the lower arms movement they will touch as the suspension moves through its stroke.

I don't care how many people have told you to fit adjustable drop links, they are all idiots who don't have a clue about their car.

Have a read of this to help validate my opinion - uk-mkivs.net/forums/p/215061/1638873.aspx

If you'd said it like that in the first place, that would have been a lot more helpful.

Apparently FK do a decent ARB that rectifies the problem, I'll check that out.

I know where there is one for sale. Message Myles 'Mylo' Gault on Facebook. Adjustable Whiteline front ARB for £80.

Otherwise the TT setup can be had for £50, and is a much better option. With longer bolts and a pack of washers it bolts straight on and puts the arb well out the way.

Edited by Pashley26

item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=130868928914&index=18&nav=SEARCH&nid=14713530641 99.99% certain you could just buy that, use your existing drop links and a bolt and some washers to space the drop link out and it would be a better solution and much cheaper.

I'm doubtful that an up and downpipe set-up would fit mine, there's a bonnet and scuttle tray in the way, and I'm not loosing my heater or having any external modifications. Remember the bonnet on the Scirocco's a LOT lower than yours, the inlet manifold barely fits under it, let alone a turbo perched on top of the engine. Your old k03s could be awesome, there are big plans for the summer, but I'm not 100% they'll happen, so if you change before then, or if the plans don't happen then I'll pretty much definitely have it off you. I'm not planning on changing the rods unless the plans happen, in which case it won't be quite as simple as just changing the rods ;)

• Like 1