The Car Thread

MadManMike

Passat looks and sounds great Tic, I do like B5/5.5 Passats. Tell your friend to make sure he gets a Passat not an A4, as much as I liked my old A4, every time I saw a Passat I was annoyed by how much bigger their boot was. I'm feeling the want for an estate massively at the moment. I'm getting back into mountain-biking more properly, and something I can sling the bike in easier would be amazing. Still, I'm too attached to the 'rocco to sell it for now, and moving puts a second car out of the picture for the time being, so I'll have to make do for now.

He is pretty set on getting an A4 but it has to be the A4 Sport which makes things a little tougher. I'm going to let him have a drive of mine so he can see what the Passat Sport feels like in comparison to the A4 Sport he recently test drove (and didn't buy because it has grey cloth interior and was black so he thought it looked like a hurse :P )

I spent 2 hours doing insurance comparison quotes and phoning my old insurer to check on the status of my claim and get a quote for the Passat. My previous insurer were being twats telling me that the crash is still down as my fault because the other driver has not yet admitted fault, in previous calls they have told me it's already marked as a non fault claim because it clearly was the other driver in the wrong. They even tried to say that my protected no claims had been frozen to 7 years even though they had already sent me a renewal with 8 years no claims on it. The best price they would offer me was £707 so I told them I would go elsewhere. What a nightmare that was but at least now I have insurance! I had a quote as low as £265 from quotemehappy.com but they are an online only company and I didn't want to trust them so went with a quote from Tesco Bank at £390.

Can anybody give me a rough idea of what I'd get for my mk2 golf pricewise?

Rough details are, 1.8 driver, 110k miles, porsche seats, coilovers, new front tyres, gti small bumpers, newly fitted towbar. Don't think there's anything particularly wrong with it, it isn't mint or anything though. Will have 12 monts MOT and 6 months tax. Was thinking maybe £1000 but prices seem to be all over the place on them.

null_zps7beab8de.jpg

Basically keep getting more and more tempted to get myself a transporter sized van to carry the motorbike about in but in my mind keep thinking I won't get as much van as i have car with the golf if that makes sense? Anyone used a van as their daily too and what's it like?

Edit: Anybody know any decent sites where I could post it up for swaps?

Edited by Duncy H

If you're seriously looking at selling that Dunc, i might take it for my sister in a month or so - i know you're not gonna be running a shitter :P PM me! I'm in Sheffield tomorrow so could have a look at it if you're about.

Swapz does seem a bit chavtastic. <_<

Jardos evaluation seems about right to me, but don't think I'll get much van for that money.

I should be around tomorrow evening skoze if you'd like to meet up and take a look, probably wouldn't do anything with it for a month or so anyway cause I have a busy month or so ahead.

Sounds ideal, she's running some quotes on it now. I'm playing the Great Gatsby tomorrow night, if you're anywhere near there message me your number and i'll pop over - you're more than welcome to come to the gig too!

I haven't put the bikes in for a test run yet but I'm fairly confident I will be able to fit the DH or XC bike down one side with the front wheel out and the bike upside down, then me on the other side on a sleeping mat. Tic sized camper van :lol:

Should work fine, I've had bikes in various ages of Passat upright with the front wheel out. You may struggle with the DH bike upside down, my bike was boarderline with 160mm forks. Upright with the forks tucked down between the front/rear seats should be no problem though.

My understanding's that standard rods will basically be fine with anything a k04 can throw out as long as you don't map in violent features like anti-lag and you're not pumping in gallons of meth to squeeze every last ounce from it. Rule of thumb wise though I've always been lead to believe that around 300lb/ft of torque was the limit for standard rods to be considered 'reliable'. As Jardo said though, it's quite dependant on the delivery of the specific set-up.

So I lifted up the carpet and found this....

D7396A3E-FC4F-4D1F-935E-35428444CD90-127

Lifted it up and found the captive nut spinning and someone has poorly attempted to weld it solid.

It's 100x easier to just weld the original nut back on, I had to replace one of the ones I fixed with my own nut and bolt and it was a ballache.

All the work's been done for you anyway, just clean it up and weld it!

3F165789-5ED8-44AD-995F-8468177DD4D2-129

Hahaha, I dont know how I didn't make the connection before, you will also find that fuel line you can see in the last pic, has been cut whilst the floor was being cut open. All I can say in defense of that mess, is that I was quite drunk, it was a (drunk) group effort that went on 'til about 2am and I just wanted the guy to leave me alone (I had to fix about a dozen things a day on that damn car, for a couple of weeks!) so it was done as quick as possible with no real thought put into the end product :)

The reason it's had so many attempts at being cut open, is because I welded the original captive nut on, and then he managed to strip the threads out of it, so to get a grinder in to cut it back off, we had to create more room..!

I hope he did something to sort those seat frames out too, they were cobbled together as a test fit, never intended as a permanent fixture :blink:

...I recall the suspension being a huge f*ck around too, I think the front lower suspension bolts on the passenger side are/were just piece of shit B&Q items (the originals snapped, that's what he picked up to replace them with) :blink:

And as such

It's probably £700-1000, as long as it's as clean as it looks.

Rich will be along in a minute to say it's worth £2.30. :P

I stand by it only being worth £2.30, there are more cut corners on that car than I can ever remember. I hope he fixed the more serious ones at least :ermm:

...I'm sorry for your disaster of a car :P>_<:unsure::(

...It is though, in my defense, in considerably better shape than how it started when he first started appearing at my unit!

In brighter news, the wheels on it used to belong to the MK2 I bought off his mate -

26744_413214350478_605312_n.jpg

Which also turned out to be a bit of a ropey old dog despite it being near spotless!

Last thing - one of the more amusing bodges (probably still there) the passenger side front indicator's (on yours) screws are fixed into little pieces of wood, or they may be zip tied by now, but in any case you can see in the pics I posted of it, that it was just held in by electrical tape wrapped around the bumper before that :rolleyes:

Edited by Jolfa