The Car Thread

MadManMike

Shit image, most are driven by paedophiles. And nobody wants that.

I obviously did :D

Wow, that went cheap Adam! Is that all they're worth then?

Yeah, very cheap... I think partly the reason was that it had a remap - narrowed potential buyers down to those with a little more driving experience (insurance) and those who fully understood what it was. I still believe that car was worth more than that, but it wasn't much good sitting doing nothing, or 2 miles a day not even getting up to temperature and costing me ~£1000 a year on insurance, tax and servicing. Managed to get an MX-5 and a year's insurance for that :D

Hummmm. I'll have a look.

Do it, well worth a drive of one anyway I say.

Oh, and an update on the cambelt thing... fitted a new belt, exactly the same brand as before (Gates Powergrip) - wobble is gone :)

I obviously did :D

Yeah, very cheap... I think partly the reason was that it had a remap - narrowed potential buyers down to those with a little more driving experience (insurance) and those who fully understood what it was. I still believe that car was worth more than that, but it wasn't much good sitting doing nothing, or 2 miles a day not even getting up to temperature and costing me ~£1000 a year on insurance, tax and servicing. Managed to get an MX-5 and a year's insurance for that :D

Do it, well worth a drive of one anyway I say.

Oh, and an update on the cambelt thing... fitted a new belt, exactly the same brand as before (Gates Powergrip) - wobble is gone :)

Mk1 Octavia Vrs was and still is one of the most complete cars, in my eyes anyway, one of the best cars out there for cheapness, and being a dad of one. Nice and safe for the boy, goes like stink, is reasonable on petrol, and is definitely not a paedo car.

I might just cut the existing pipe off an inch and then press it onto the check valve and secure it with a zip tie. Can't be f**ked to spend money actually having servo assistance.

I did fail to stop at a cross road this morning when it failed though, nearly killed a child. Stupid fanny decided it was safe to cross the road just because the lights said she could without looking first, that'll teach her.

:( The Saab of doom has finally died! Shame, it was a nice car. Just a pity it has been a shit to you for three years!

Muel, TDI Cupras are pretty cool cars. They have the 150PD engine, which with a remap, you're looking at around 200bhp, and a shit load of torque. They do suffer from "chocolate cams" though, so be very careful when buying, and make sure they have been changed.

Basically, the cam followers were made of really shit metal, which wore away after time, which obviously means really poor running. From my limited VAG PD engine knowledge, I don't think it was particuarly expensive or difficult to change, was just time consuming and fiddly. (From memory, I think a set of 8 followers was about £200 ish?) The majority of them are now at the age/mileage where they will have been done, or will need doing. Most sellers will make a big thing of it being done if they have been, because it is a hugely common problem.

Other things to look out for are the usual TDI traits; EGR valve, sticky VNT turbo vanes etc etc...plus of course the usual car checks; service history, cambelt (every 60k on those), yada yada yada...

Sweet cheers dude. :) Sounds like the best option so far. I'm guessing the replacement cam followers are made of a tougher material?

I'll be looking for something relatively cheap to insure, cheapish to run, 50mpg+, 5 doors, space for 5 10-15 stone climbers each with a 45-65l rucksack (at a push, so a fairly big boot would be ideal), but something that's a little bit more fun to drive than a normal hatchback.

Don't really fancy an estate yet, maybe one day but for the time being I've got a thing for "hot" hatchbacks haha.

Just doing research really, as it'll probably be a year before I buy anything... Obviously prices will be different then, but I'm interested now so I've been spending a bit of time in between revision researching the possibilities.