The Car Thread

MadManMike

Prawn and Jardo, All diesels injectors are after the inlet valves. When people refer to non-direct injection diesels, it's talking about injecting into a 'pre-combustion' chamber, which is offset to the side of the piston crown, but still after the valves (imagine the shape of a side-valves combustion chamber, but with the valves where the spark plug is, and an injector in the bit where the valves are). Direct injection squirts strait at a funky shaped piston crown like a direct injection petrol. There's no way of having the injectors before the valves, because relying on compression ignition means the ignition timings determined by when the fuel's injected (hence why diesel pumps are usually cam-belt driven and need timing in), and it needs to already be under pressure, so you can't inject fuel with the inlet valve open or you'd get combustion much too early during the compression stroke and with zero control of timing.

Jardo, yeah, that's Ben, although he's usually driving a T4 nowadays, still got the A3 but his girlfriend normally uses it. Can't see why I wouldn't be around on the 3rd, I'll be back in Somerset pretty much for good now, last exam for uni's in 4 hours!

• Like 1

Geek.

Useful info, didn't realise they were injected in that way. Are PD's like that too?

Cool man, I will come say hi when I am on my way there or on my way back. Think Lou might be coming with me too.

Good luck with the exam, we'll make a motorsport development senior out of you yet.

PD's use unit injectors, which basically means the high pressure pump's built into the injector. The cam-shaft compresses the top of the injector, which puts the pressure into the fuel so it can be injected against the combustion pressures, then the injector opens electronically to time the ignition. Common-rail's like PD in that the injector opening's electronically timed, but the pressure is built at a common source, then fed through a 'common' fuel rail to each injector. So a PD is basically a common-rail but with an individual pump for each injector.

An old diesel like my Passat just has a mechanical pump that pulses pressure at pressure opened injectors (pretty much the same as an old K-jet system, but with much, much higher pressures and a more precisely timed pump). Then most 'TDi' engines, like the pre-PD audi and VW lumps are the same, but with some electronic control over the pump timing and pressure.

For the record, I'm pretty sure Danns focus is a TDCi, so it'll be common-rail, which will mean it'll be direct injection. The main reason for non-direct injection in diesels is to slow the combustion process down (as it's got further to travel), with electronic injectors you can inject precisely enough that it stops this being as much of an issue. They usually fire multiple small injections per-combustion to slow things down.

Let me know when you're coming down up (bloody southerners ). Have you got my number? I'll fire it over on facebook if not.

Edited by RobinJI

No, look at it! Its a rusty old beast haha. Last mot'd 6 years ago, don't think it had any advisories either :) Starts on a button and everything functions as it should.

I can't imagine it being worth any more than £500, and even thats hopeful. It's worth quite a bit in parts and scrap but i would rather it was restored.

I'm actually quite proud to know nothing about deisels, i have less interest in them than you could possibly imagine!

Paul, did you end up buying Georges old AGU lump? When you decide you have no use for it, let me know and I'll buy it! I wanted it when george sold it!

Yeah I think £500 seems about right :) thanks!

And yeah Prawn I did buy it and I may be persuaded to sell it if the price is right :) I had some plans involving a MK3 golf estate but with the old back issue worsening its getting more and more unlikely :(

A B3 or 4 Passat would be an easier swap than most Mk3 Golfs, it's basically bolt in plus wiring because they use a hydraulic clutch and cable box as standard, so no faffing around to sort that out. I'd be so tempted for my Passat as it'd make a hell of a sleeper, but I'm too bothered about fuel economy and towing in a daily.

Nick, I kind of know what you mean about diesels, but at the same time, there are interesting points to the different way they work, and the wave of torque makes for a good daily. I've got no interest in trying to go fast in one though unless it was a compromise of an only car (like my Scirocco was). The Scirocco will definitely be getting a petrol lump thrown back in the hole now it's not a daily.

vid soon hopefully...

Here goes... This is all from the morning when I was crap, camera died before lunch :( Still, awesome fun!

The surface is deliberately low friction, then they wet it, so it's very easy to get sideways :dance: And you barely wear anything of your tryes (less than 0.5mm a day).

Would love to have another go with a diff that's not sporadically fully open (22 year old viscous LSD = pretty much just a D now).

My mum has a mk1 audi tt 1.8t and the turbo inlet pipe keeps coming loose meaning it needs tightened every couple of weeks which is a right pain, has anyone got any suggestions on how to stop it coming loose? We've tried locotite and that didnt work either.

Sack off the shitty standard hose clamps - Get some of these on, obviously in the right size... http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Search.do?method=delegate&n=801&p=245296&s=clamps

Or get a 3.2 Like above, naturally aspirated and putting out 310bhp after a remap...

A shot from tonight - this rig will be perfect with a clean sensor!

470960_3571812166602_1011955411_33179528_1862493315_o.jpg

Here goes... This is all from the morning when I was crap, camera died before lunch :( Still, awesome fun!

The surface is deliberately low friction, then they wet it, so it's very easy to get sideways :dance: And you barely wear anything of your tryes (less than 0.5mm a day).

That looked amazing Ads! So much fun! Have you had a go at Drifting before or was that your first day? Doesn't look too shabby to me!

Sack off the shitty standard hose clamps - Get some of these on, obviously in the right size... http://www.demon-twe...245296&s=clamps

Or get a 3.2 Like above, naturally aspirated and putting out 310bhp after a remap...

Never going to get a mikalor clamp on the turbo inlet on one of these, simply not enough room. Kierz: I assume it's a 225 quattro TT? or is it just a 180? very different turbo inlet setups.

310bhp from the R32 engine with just a map? not bloody likley! You'll struggle to gain more than 5-10bhp with a map, full exhaust and cams and you might see 260-270 from one, but it's not going to get much above that, and even that would cost a fortune!

Mate of mine has an R32, when he looked into it and found that depending on the cam you can get 270bhp just by changing the cams, then upto about 290bhp with a full exhaust and a remap.

When I say looked into it, he went to a couple of dyno days to watch other peoples cars get dyno'd.... Yes, he's that boring.

Dyno lottery is probably at play, schrick cams are the most aggressive I have commercially seen and they are lucky to see 275bhp when mapped. A decat may free up a little power midrange but I doubt it would have a great effect on the peak figure. Muel is pretty much on the right line.

Forced induction or a 5 grand NA build is IMO the only way to a 300bhp R32/V6 TT.

-

I have been mapping my car! :)

Standard -

546282_10151106160620130_709735129_13234980_973739903_n.jpg

Haven't had time to do a performance run after my tweaks this morning, but it mainly focuses on AFR, timing and lambda trickery. Really really fun!

Edited by Pashley26