The Car Thread

MadManMike

Car passed the MOT :D advisory on front discs and corrosion on a rear spring, they said it seemed a good car apart from those things. Now to order the cam belt stuff and attempt to remove this stupid oil drain plug that has a mangled head by whoever touched it last so I can finish the service (I tried a suction pump but it didn't work very well and i'd rather do it properly)

• Like 2

Cheapest kit I could find on eBay, about half the way through the screen and the size of a small fingernail (massive chunk). It'll work a treat on something that size, you do need IR light or sunshine to cure the resin though...

Cheers. Most seem to come with the whole suction stuff. I'm guessing my chips are so small they would just need a dob of resin and plastic putting over?

I've had two people view the S3, one of which is currently the high bidder at £3500, and has 100% positive feedback and has bought and sold lots of cars on eBay since 2003, and another who offered a bit more but I wouldn't sell it for less than £4300 outside of the auction.

Sad, but glad it might be going.

It'll be a financial burden I'm looking forward to replacing.

Edited by Pashley26

Today I ordered two more new tyres, so I'll have four brand new EfficientGrips on the car for my trip to Bruges in 2 weeks time :)

Also, today I clocked up more spent on the car than I paid for it - I have a LOT to show for it though and I love the progress.

People often say "Why do you always have to spend so much on your cars?" but the honest answer is that it was only my old Leon that was a money pit, the Leon before it didn't ask for anything and all the money I spent was on audio and lowering, so wasn't a necessity. Same with the Eunos, it needed new front discs and pads, but was OK as it was. I said to a colleague today that even if I bought a brand new C63 AMG, I'd still find things to spend money on... I enjoy making a car my own, as I'm sure a lot of you understand. Very frustrating when people don't get it, they're fine with a battered old 1.2 Clio that is barely maintained and only used to get them to work.

• Like 1

MartMini, mine are greased up to f**k. Dan, do it before you drive the car - it's just not worth the hassle for the sake of an hour, especially given you'll need to run the seats up and down the thread. They rust up bloody quick.

Car news, i did Land End to John o Groats this weekend in a 1952 Land Rover with no heater, non-stop, leaving Brighton 8pm friday and getting back sunday at around 10 after a few pints in Rutland.

Will get pics later, but what a trek - I am never doing that again.

to be honest i grease anything thats either steel into ally, any bolts/nuts that are exposed or bolts that go into built in nuts (like subframe bolts).

its alwas poor muggins here thats left with snapped bolts in the most awkward to reach places :(

i mean, i snapped my anti roll bar drop link bolt the other day, and thats an m10 bolt :S

As mentioned before, my auxillary air valve is shot on the Porsche, and i'm not stumping up £100+ for a new/recon one. I have just bought a heater valve for an Audi 80 new for £6 as it looks about the same size and looks to have the same size pipe fittings, I can either run a bike cable to it to manually operate it or I'm thinking of using my spare Arduino nano, a servo and a temp sensor to control it electronically. Hopefully this will end up being a fairly decent low budget fix!

• Like 1

Today I ordered two more new tyres, so I'll have four brand new EfficientGrips on the car for my trip to Bruges in 2 weeks time :)

Also, today I clocked up more spent on the car than I paid for it - I have a LOT to show for it though and I love the progress.

People often say "Why do you always have to spend so much on your cars?" but the honest answer is that it was only my old Leon that was a money pit, the Leon before it didn't ask for anything and all the money I spent was on audio and lowering, so wasn't a necessity. Same with the Eunos, it needed new front discs and pads, but was OK as it was. I said to a colleague today that even if I bought a brand new C63 AMG, I'd still find things to spend money on... I enjoy making a car my own, as I'm sure a lot of you understand. Very frustrating when people don't get it, they're fine with a battered old 1.2 Clio that is barely maintained and only used to get them to work.

Yeah they're like that at work with me wondering why I spend so much money on mine. My supervisor nearly passed out when I told him how much I spent on the coilovers haha.

But to me, taking the car apart and building it up is a hobby and something I massively enjoy so I'll spend whatever amount on it. People usually just see a car as something to get them from a to b and simply don't get it.

:lol:

I've given up on cars to be honest, I served my 6 years keeping minis alive, now I just appreciate getting in a warm car I know will start and getting to where I want to be. Not saying i don't miss taking the mini for an absolute hammering around Derbyshire coming back stinking of burnt oil but I certainly wouldn't enjoy trusting it for work.

• Like 1

Is how long you'll own your next car before getting bored of it?

I'm really NOT bored of the S3.

Well, it's sold to the guy who came to look at it the other day. Looks like somebody retracted their bid in the last few minutes, which is a shame because it was up to £3700.

Sold for £3500, which is a bit of a kick in the balls but it does give me just about enough money to get where I need to be financially.

Fingers crossed for stage 2 of the plan.