The Car Thread

MadManMike

Tomm, you say they never would, but they pretty much have, it's in the final stages now. The big businesses wouldn't go under from it, unlike the way ACE make it out, it doesn't ban the modification of cars. It's not that drastic, what it does is require any modification to meat a standard of manufacturers approval to say it's safe. This is the same system they currently have in Germany, and their modified car industry is far from dead. Other than rally cars, most racing cars wouldn't be effected as they're rarely road legal anyway. The trouble from my point of view is exactly this:

costs of r&d would go through the roof if everything needed stamping up!

I've been planning and working towards setting up a small business manufacturing suspension components among other parts, and this basically means I no longer have anywhere near the capital unless a long lost rich uncle dies and leaves me lots of money. It kills of the small fish in the industry, which on the most part is where the true developments and advancements occur.

It would also hugely increase the cost of keeping older cars on the road where original parts aren't available, but alternatives are easy to make fit. There's lots of examples of this on my Scirocco where I've upgraded parts when they've warn out rather than just replaced them. This would all be impossible, as I'd only be able to fit approved parts as replacements.

The big businesses wouldn't go under from it, unlike the way ACE make it out, it doesn't ban the modification of cars. It's not that drastic, what it does is require any modification to meat a standard of manufacturers approval to say it's safe.

I think what most people in England will fail to realise, is that 90% of the aftermarket parts sold in britain already have the type approval required, because the UK is only a small chunk of the market, all the products from big manufacturers already have TUV approval and the like. When buying Goodridge brake lines for example, you can pay an extra few quid to get the TUV cert with them!

For this reason, like you say, the big companies won't be effected, and if anything, tuning outfits will seek some form of approval to fit such parts, and then they will potentially benefit as well.

it's the little guy that'll get hurt.

That mk5 golf on air a friend of yours Bucky? Saw it on the show an shine Sunday an followed it home some of the way. Reaaally liked that.

nah dont know the dude but i just loved how it sat.

mine sits like that, when going round corners which is why my month old arches are now f**ked.

My driving instructor said this to me today: "If your engine seemed to begin to overheat what could you quickly do to cool it down?" I said to pull over etc, but she said that turning the heater on would draw heat away from the engine. I dont know a lot about cars but that seems complete bullshit to me? Discuss.

It's times like this I wish I didn't live half a days drive from most UK circuits :( I'd love to come along and watch that, sounds like a great day, and I'm really curious to see Snetterton in the flesh since spending god knows how many days/night doing a coursework piece on chassis sim F3 car run of it. That said, I'm busy this weekend even if I could stomach the drive/fuel costs!

My driving instructor said this to me today: "If your engine seemed to begin to overheat what could you quickly do to cool it down?" I said to pull over etc, but she said that turning the heater on would draw heat away from the engine. I dont know a lot about cars but that seems complete bullshit to me? Discuss.

Definitely, 100% works, done it a few times, and I've been in friends cars where we've needed to do it countless times, and it can make a big difference to the engines temperatures. The heat it's chucking out comes from the engine, (hence why it doesn't blow hot when you first start the car from cold) if the heats coming from the engine into the cabin, then there's less heat in the engine, simple really. By turning on the heater you're basically turning on another little radiator. The opposite's also true in that it can often help the engine warm up faster if you set the heater to cold, so the heater's not sapping any heat from the engine.

Edited by RobinJI

Haha, nah, it does seem a bit odd, but if you look at how a cars interior heater works, it's pretty clear that it's just a miniature radiator. In heating the cabin air it's removing heat from the coolant. I've done it in my Passat recently, towing a heavy trailer on a seriously hot day through London traffic on a Friday afternoon got the temperature creeping up close to 100deg, click the heater on and you could instantly see it creeping back down. It can be handy, my Passat would never normally even begin to overheat, so it caught me unaware a bit, but I guess a 1 ton trailer behind a 1.3 ton car with ~200kg of stuff in it is asking a lot of a 1.6 turbo diesel in heavy traffic!

Couple of mates are going from work, but not sure if they have tickets already. If they dont, can they have/buy them?

Yeah of course, don't cost me anything so they are of course free! Just shout if you need em, had no other takers and don't want them going to waste :)

Man I've missed so much stuff since I've been gone, I'm literally 30 pages behind on all threads. Just wanted to show big love for the LCR 20 pages back - stunning!

I want to get the top diesel one next year, I currently have the Leon S (90bhp) but the top diesel one (130? 150? Can't remember) seems like the way to go.

• Like 1

Man I've missed so much stuff since I've been gone, I'm literally 30 pages behind on all threads. Just wanted to show big love for the LCR 20 pages back - stunning!

I want to get the top diesel one next year, I currently have the Leon S (90bhp) but the top diesel one (130? 150? Can't remember) seems like the way to go.

The Cupra TDI is 150, I am hankering after one at the moment, just need to find some money...

I'll let you guys fight it out between you :P haha

Paul - if you are having them, fire us an email with your number, I'll need to come down to the gate with the tix as I doubt they will arrive in time by post...

I'm there from about 10:30am Sunday if that's alright? Saturday is 2CV 24hr race until ~11am Sunday, Sunday is mostly qualifying sessions, then Monday is the racing. Timetable here: http://www.barc.net/images/stories/HQ_1230_SN252708.pdf

I'm told the truck racing is well worth sticking around for!

They do want them :( Will you still come if not? I can probably make up a story or something if needs be, lol!

I'm happy to collect them off you Ads and give them to Paul if needs be. My house is on the way to the track for him anyway.

Who will be coming with you Paul?

The trucks are ridiculous, really are a sight to behold. Won't be quite as good as Brands Hatch, because the lack of gradient means there is less chance of a rollover (last one I watched at Brands, out of 3 races, 3 were red flagged due to at least one rollover!)