The Car Thread

MadManMike

Dont get me wrong, it miiight be worth a look, you never know, it might turn out to be a very straight/solid car under the tat, just don't think of the mods as a good thing, and make sure you get a decent look under those skirts ;) I'd want the standard front bumper and springs thrown in though, or a little cash your way to allow for the cost of reversing some of the mods.

Oh, and please don't think you'll be able to drift one anymore so than your BMW ;) In case that's your aim.

Edited by RobinJI

Gents (particularly Seamons, Prawn and Mr Biggus Mannus I suppose), any chance of a little help please?

I'm looking to get something a little more fun, and my eye has turned to something along the lines of some flavour of Leon. I've got a budget of up to around £2k, though ideally a little less so I'm guessing I should probably be looking at a Cupra with the 1.8 20vt. I'd love a Cupra R but they seem to be rather more pricey from an initial quick scout.

First up, does that sound about right? It seems I could pick one up from around £1.2k upwards and have a little left to sort any niggles/tidy it up a touch if that's the case. Decent spec seems to come in from around £1.5k or so

Secondly, is there anything in particular to keep an eye out for in the way of potential issues or must-haves?

Any advice/pointers much appreciated :)

Did you forget about me, who lives two mins away and is the original S3 slayer? You so mean.

I know of a VERY nice facelift LC in Plymouth for £1800.

Things to look out for are split boost hoses, leaking door seals, MAF faults, broken window clips and fogged up front lights. The rest is pretty bulletproof.

If you want to take me along for vag-comming and bargaining I'm always up for it.

Erm yeah, 'forgot' :P

Haha, that's pretty cool - got any more info at all? Need to do (a lot) more homework before I jump in to anything so won't be buying just yet but fire over some info/images if you can.

Edit; Cheers for the offer of coming along too - may take you up on that when the time comes to hand over some cash monies. (Y)

Luke, as Jardo said, they are fairly bombproof other than the bits he said.

Check the front footwells, they will probably be wet, most are nowadays because of the leaking door seals (or pollen filter housing). Not a hard job to fix it, just have to put a butyl strip around each door panel. Only problem is it makes the windows steam up because of the condensation.

Other problems could be sticking rear brakes (although this can be sorted with a spring on the hand handbrake mechanism on the rear calipers).

The secondary air injection (SAI) pump may well be shot, which will make it sound like a Dyson when it starts up (most people remove it though, so not an issue).

Unless it has been changed, the PCV system will almost certinally be split, which will cause vaccuum/boost leaks.

Other than that, just check the usual cambelt history, oil condition, brakes etc etc. You can't really go far wrong though! (All the points I mentioned are easily fixable, they just help with bargaining!)

Wish I lived your way, anything under 2k here would be a right dog!

"Original" S3 slayer. Haha, good one.

"s3 slayer" -buffy -samsung

Same here...

EDIT: I'm not in the business of just Jardo bashing these days, so I might as well say something car related. I had mine washed yesterday, it looks nice. Then again, it always reminds me just how many little issues I need to sort out on the exterior of that car...

Edited by JD™

and is the original S3 slayer?

hahaha, this made me chuckle :)

Good call Bird.

I suggest you make yourself aware of the facelift and pre facelift versions, pre face have multispoke wheels and gash bumpers, and are generally in the £1200-1500 range these days. Facelift will most likely be getting on closer to £2k, but can be had for less, and are FAR nicer.

Don't be put off by mileage too much, anything under 120k is fair game and will last well. All the Obvious has already been said, but make sure it's had a cambelt and water pump.

cracking cars on the whole. try and get a facelift though

• Like 2