The Car Thread

MadManMike

The engine builders that have my cylinder head are taking the piss getting it skimmed. Its not even warped, I just wanted it passing over for a good clean surface. 

Would take all of 10 minutes to do! Not 5 days!

After thats done Im literally an engine loom and inlet manifold away from getting the thing in the car. 

When I'm back from Florida, I have a mk1 1.8t Quattro TT to convert to a tdi for a friend.

I have a PD115 mk4 Golf sitting at mine waiting, so when I get back I'm going to pull the wiring loom, engine, fuel pump, and clocks etc out. Then I will do the same with the TT, and blend the two together to make a diesel TT. The mounts etc are the same (the diesel block is actually very similar to the 1.8t). 

Hardest part will be the downpipe creation (there is no off the shelf part, there were no mk1 TT's made as diesels), then have to do some wizardry to make the ecu know the car is 4wd. It's been done before though, so should be possible.

Once it's all up and running trouble free, the plan is to then stick a hybrid turbo on, and aim for 300bhp diesel power :D

I don't really understand why he is doing it either in all honesty! Just something different I guess. Keeps me entertained in the process though, so can't grumble!

He bought the Golf for £150 (needs a new turbo), and the TT for £400. The 1.8t bits of the TT will sell for £600-£700, and the Golf probably has £150-£200 worth of spares on it, so in theory it's a free car (apart from my labour), so I can see the appeal to be fair. 

300bhp's worth of 1.9 PD power in a 4wd TT should have a fairly healthy chunk of torque to go with it, so think it will be a fairly capable car.

• Like 3

Makes you wonder why Audi didn't do it in the first place if it's as 'easy' as creating a downpipe and some software haxxxxx. It's not like Audi are anti diesel power or anything, so it must only be that they didn't think they'd sell.

26 minutes ago, JD™ said:

Makes you wonder why Audi didn't do it in the first place if it's as 'easy' as creating a downpipe and some software haxxxxx. It's not like Audi are anti diesel power or anything, so it must only be that they didn't think they'd sell.

At the time of their release (earliest TT was 2000, I think?), diesel "sports cars" weren't really a thing, and it wasn't even that popular. Things have massively changed now though, although I do still look at mk2 diesel TT's and question why you'd bother (even more so the convertibles!).

13 minutes ago, george_seamons said:

He's just a miserable old bitter twat. Soooo predictable too, I knew he would bite, even though I didn't mention him at all.

Poor guy really holds a grudge! Kinda funny really, and as you say, it's damaging!

What did you do to him? Haha he comes across as a right dick in that thread! (I don't really go on ASN at all, apart from to read about prawns car sometimes :P ) 

Edit: you've just answered my question. Thanks :P 

Edited by Wrayvon

9 minutes ago, Luke Rainbird said:

I didn't know about this side of things. Knew there was some beef between the two of you but unaware of the source - guess that'd do it!

I wasn't the only one either.

Ive tried to move on with it, but he seems insistent on dragging up past beef between us...to his detriment.

Jesus christ some of the replies on that thread (not just badger, the bi-turbo reply). Makes me very grateful for cliosport.net and what a fantastic forum it is, there's never any bitterness like that even after 2 years of being on there. 

Some forums really do just attract utter c unts. Civic type r forum is the same.

43 minutes ago, dann2707 said:

Jesus christ some of the replies on that thread (not just badger, the bi-turbo reply). Makes me very grateful for cliosport.net and what a fantastic forum it is, there's never any bitterness like that even after 2 years of being on there. 

Some forums really do just attract utter c unts. Civic type r forum is the same.

The integra forum is worse. Do anything other than keep your integra standard you get banned.

• Like 2