The Car Thread

MadManMike

Thought I'd get back on here, my account signed me out ages ago and I just didn't sign back in.

Skyline is still going, pretty sure the automatic gearbox is going to blow up soon but that's just an excuse to go manual :D finally got rid of the stock everything and have a nice 3" turbo back exhaust, pod filter and 18x 8.5/9.5 wheels, fronts have 225/40 and rears are 265/35. 

Also, Jardo if you wasn't sure who was waving at you on the M3 the other day it was me

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

So basically I have 20mm wheel spacers that are non bolt to hub type. They use longer nuts. I'd tightened them all up the other night but I think due to their length they're always gonna come loose. Had the same problem at Blyton Park. I need some studs in my life I've decided today. The wheel fell off, luckily the car landed on it and there's no damage to the brakes or anything else. It's just mangled a few of the hub threads too but i'vr tapped new threads in there now and they feel solid. Probably going to be worth getting a new hub though 

Anyway here's the vid when it happened. I'm going to make a proper video when I'm back home as I'm at my parents house now and their media set up resembles something from the victorian era 

https://youtu.be/JDTcpbZIbm4

And here's a little sideways action haha

Screenshot_2016-01-15-19-53-24_zpsxf8mwd

6 minutes ago, Mark W said:

Fair enough (Y)  How long did you get on track before that happened?  Enough to get a decent drive in?

Sadly that was only after about 5 laps! But I did get it sorted after a while and got back out there. Ended up spinning it twice after. Going to make a vid soon. 

The day itself was rubbish for it. The track was way too icy and as a result we got let on three hours late. The sun was in a horrific place where your visor didn't block it. Just generally slippy all over and not ideal for it. 

That sucks about losing so much track time.  I was going to say in that little clip you posted it looked like it wouldn't have been too grippy (not to mention the sideways screenshot).  Hoping it'll be a bit kinder to us weather-wise when we go, but we'll see.

It was bad enough on the roads, never mind the track, fair play.

In other news. I've come full circle on my car search. Now thinking a 1.9tdi (105) either a Leon mk2 or golf (or a3?). I'm doing 17k miles a year and what my next car to last a minimum of 3-4 years. I know these engines are supposed to be pretty solid. What sort of mileage would people aim for if you were looking to buy?

Everyone including myself will tell you they go forever if you buy a genuine and maintained motor. My old 1.9 105 Passat did 15k a year with me and reached 185k. Still rattle free and drove beautifully, I'd still have it if it carried sheet timber. The problem is with Leon/golf/jetta they're all prime for working vehicles due to their reliability so expect to pay a premium for anything under 100k. Personally I would aim for a well serviced full history vehicle at around 120k, check your belts and clutch as they're usually ready around that mileage.

The other thing with VAG diesels is they seem to drop into limp mode occasionally if they're pinned hard, my polo used to be a swine for it which turned out to be the air flow meter was just shitted up. Replaced it with a Bosch item at £60 and it never happened again.  

15 hours ago, Azarathal said:

finally got rid of the stock everything and have a nice 3" turbo back exhaust, pod filter and 18x 8.5/9.5 wheels, fronts have 225/40 and rears are 265/35. 

Should've spent it on suspension ;)

And Dann, some kind of T-Cut joke relating to the amount of polish you've already put on it, join the dots I'm too lazy to do better :lol: Replace the hub though and get some proper spacers :blink:

• Like 2

Seems a lot for a 9 year old petrol regardless of mileage, obviously it's a high spec car but there are others on Autotrader with slightly higher mileage for significantly less. Mine has been a good car to me, not the best looking things but a dependable machine which is cheap to replace parts on so far as well as being easy to work on.