The Car Thread

MadManMike

Any MX-5'ers on here fitted a front lip?

If so, any tips?

So far I can't see an easy of doing it, ie using existing holes, so I think it's a case of holding it up against the bumper and putting a marker pen through the mounting holes on the lip, then drilling the bumper.

Any other ideas welcomed!

Rode today, but then the snow came and that f**ked that up.  Fortunately, it meant that the MX5 became a lot more fun to drive.  Chavved the f**k out of it and slid around pretty much every empty car park I saw on my way home.  Too much fun.

• Like 3

I just went to swap the plugs, rotor and distributor cap in the Porsche as they were due and I was rather concerned by what appears to be fresh oil covering the plugs(mainly where it seals). The ceramic sections are not oily so the oil must be coming from internally rather than a duff rocker seal. I have not noticed blue smoke from the car, but I do have to top up the oil fairly regularly (front crank seal needs replacing and would certainly be a large contribution to this). The engine is running rich judging by the electrode, but not so severely that it would cause an oil like sludge judging by the spark plug diagnostic photos I have looked at. The plugs haven't looked like this before when I have checked.

Am I looking at dead piston rings? Or duff valve stem seals? Should I just keep it going until the engine goes bang? The engine has been running lumpy for pretty much all the time I have owned it and after all the new parts I've bought i'm wondering if the actual engine itself is the thing that has been shit all along :lol:

2016-01-17%2009.43.17_zpsyaeneyg3.jpg

2016-01-17%2010.08.17_zpsfgrg3v4j.jpg

Doesn't look too bad... I think piston rings would usually go duff one at a time, leaving one plug worse than others, so maybe stem seals. Need to get someone to follow you, you'd get a puff of blue smoke on gear change under hard acceleration, or on lift off at high revs. 

Could maybe be over fuelling? To check that drive the car as normal then dump the clutch and shut it off mid acceleration. That will leave the plugs in their 'as used' state, any sort of idling will affect their appearance.

Wicked cheers Adam. I think over fuelling is likely as it does smell rather a lot out back. I am waiting for some seals to arrive so I can finish rebuilding a spare fuel distributor and warm up regulator in the hope that they solve my cars running issues! Once fitted I will get the car setup on the gas tester, and have the fuelling tweaked to suit the new parts. 

• Like 1

Well travelling down to Coningsby for a week to work on base so had to book a hire car.

This french piece of shit turned up....was hoping for a Fiesta.

Do people actually find these cars desirable when you can get a Fiesta for about the same price?

Gawd the interior is terrible, the manual doesn't even fit in the glovebox!

2016-01-17_11.46.18.jpg

• Like 1

@CurtisRider Paul, I'm breaking a Quattro 1.8t TT with a noisy bottom end, could do you a good deal on a 1.8t conversion with all the parts you need to make your Porsche proper (I know a guy who would give me a new freshly honed block for £50). 

225bhp (or 250/260bhp) would be much better I'm sure :P 

George, let me know on a price, I need basically everything you are taking out of that TT. I'm not in a position where I can buy this month but hopefully next month won't be an issue

I have shoved in the refurbished warm up regulator and fresh injector seals (the previous ones have been replaced since I owned it but I figured it wouldn't hurt to put on a new spare set). The car initially ran a bit lumpy (as per usual and with quite a lot of hesitance) but once it had an Italian tune up it felt a little bit better than usual and ran a touch smoother, hopefully the refreshed distributor will help until new engine time

Edited by CurtisRider

I am converting the TT to a PD150 engine, so will be taking the engine (inc. turbo, manifolds, injectors, oil/coolant lines etc), downpipe and cats, all ancillaries (a/c pump, power steering pump, alternator), intercoolers and pipe work , wiring loom, ecu, clocks, throttle pedal, throttle loom. 

Basically anything that isn't needed will be gone. Could even have the radiator, a/c condenser etc off the golf (and any nuts/bolts, mounts etc you need.

If you came and got it, you could have the whole lot for £650 (got potential interest in the individual parts for more than that, but I'd rather it all went in one go, and to a mate who will put it to good use!).

The gearbox from the Golf will be available too; it'll have a diesel code box, but with the gear set of the 1.8t (will be putting the diesel gears in the 1.8t Quattro box), not sure if it's much use to you though?

Hell, you can have the whole Golf for £700 if you want lol, it'll only be going to the scrapyard, can't be bothered breaking individual doors etc!

Timing might work out about right by the time I'm ready to be fair (got to strip the golf first and get rid of that before I start work on the TT)

Hit me up on Facebook if you want. 

Nice. Glad your wheel issue wasn't serious.

I deeply embarrassed myself and Volvo today. Got stuck on what was barely even an incline due to super slippery snow, one wheel drive, and not that much weight at the rear, excuses excuses. A Subaru towed me out :( 

A fancy diff will be first on the shopping list when I get money, and then I need to find the time to swap over the turbo engine for skids.