The Car Thread

MadManMike

1 minute ago, Adam@TartyBikes said:

So the splitter is there on the first photo too? :D

Do like the look of those, quantifyable lap time gains too, boom!

Yup, just gotta look really closely! haha

I wondered if they had any benefit other than aesthetic, I thought the downforce from it may help cornering but I wasn't sure. I fitted it because it looks like it's missing without it there, the front bumper seems really high without it, seems to finish off the front end nicely with one fitted. I picked this one up for £22 posted so it was rude not to.

Gave it a sanding down but it needs more really.

1 hour ago, Luke Rainbird said:

Looks good, Mike. As you say, makes the front end look a little more complete. Do/will the ducts lead to anything?

They don't at the moment, but that's something to work on :)

1 hour ago, Adam@TartyBikes said:

£22 posted! Feck, that's cheap. Guessing it was 2nd hand?

https://hanchagroup.wordpress.com/2013/01/29/splitter-or-air-dam-which-design-is-best/

Aye, second hand. It was pretty scuffed on the bottom as I got it off a guy that slammed his car. A bit of sanding down and it looks alright, there's no cracks or anything so it just needed rubbing down a bit.

Interesting link, cheers for that. Looks like quite a big improvement over stock!

• Like 1

Cambelt sit rep. 

It snapped this morning while sat at a junction. Heard a twang and then instantly followed by no engine, luckily I didn't attempt to start it again. Got it dragged into work and had the factors who supplied the NEW belt 7k miles ago to send another under warranty. They also provided a new water pump and the right coolant free of charge too. 

Got it it all back together mid day. A quick compression check showed good numbers and with all the leads back in it fired up first crank. Very lucky. 

• Like 5

Very! 

Gave the car ANOTHER clean after getting it home. Despising this weather, dirt shows so quickly on silver. 
Full valet inside and out. Was getting fed up of how grotty it was inside so its spotless again now. Much nicer! 
Also popped some new plates on. Not jap plates as Id wish but the old ones were knackered and these were free! 

569eb44a07094_cleancivic3.thumb.jpg.2941

Now I need a new tyre. My O/S rear has an egg in the sidewall that I noticed when I was cleaning it. 
Ordered two new Hankook Ventus Evos in 195/50/R15 to make it a set of 4. Very good tyres for the money. 

Got my insurance for under £400 (£398.50!) for the first time. Not bad for a £12k car with declared modifications, so pretty chuffed with that, it's always hovered around £500-£600, so when they said "What's the best offer so far?" I thought I'd go in low and say £400, which they obviously beat...wish I'd gone lower now!

In actual car news, the PD TT work has begun. I've started stripping and labelling the wiring looms...doesn't look or sound like much (there's 30 connectors identified and recorded), but there's several hours work here! Hoping to get the majority of the wiring out at the weekend, just need to take the dash etc off to get to the bulk of the loom. A friend is lending me a de-pinning tool, so I won't have to improvise with bent-to-shape paper clips anymore lol! Then once I have the TT I have to do the exact same, then swap them over.

image.thumb.jpeg.220e7bb196947ab9f177937

image.thumb.jpeg.4a71e74c7f9d0023c5131c9

• Like 3