The Car Thread

MadManMike

8 hours ago, SamKidney said:

Had a brilliant drive out today. Just went out an about seeing what roads I could find and stumbled on one out of the other side of Otley heading towards Summerbridge. 

The car feels fantastic, it's dying for more power. Itching to get my 1600 done now. 

I drive out over that way quite often, nice to have good roads so close to home! 

I recommend everyone has a go at:

Hardknott Pass - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardknott_Pass
Wynrose Pass - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrynose_Pass

Both follow on from each other so can be done together.

Not really a fast drive but great fun.

And while you are there you might as well do buttertubs which is faster - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buttertubs_Pass

• Like 1

So, quick update time. 'scuse the usual copypasta and the essay length of it, I'm trying to document as much of the engine work as possible for my own reference so may as well include it in the not-quite-a-build thread.

Last time I stuck up any photos I'd managed to get my hands on a second hand engine to rebuild. It's an AYP from an Ibiza Cupra and was running well when removed which is a bonus, though my current plans are to open it up for a rod install so a fair bit of the internal gubbins will be replaced. Not sure if I'll do main bearings while I'm at it, as that involves pulling literally everything out and most people seem to just do rod bearings to save pulling the bottom end apart too much.

Bought myself an engine stand to allow me to pull things apart a little more easily, and it'll allow me to rotate the block around when I'm working on it too.

20160115_170455_zpsaqsytngm.jpg

Started pulling a few bits off to get the engine mounted up, starting with whipping off the clutch and flywheel

20160116_134556_zpsicpypqnr.jpg

20160116_135413_zpsgb3dkwfe.jpg

Clutch actually seems to be in decent shape. Not too sure what thickness these are from new/what the wear limit is, but seems to have some life left in it to my uneducated eye

20160116_135450_zpse2e79uve.jpg

Threw a spanner in the works to lock the flywheel in place while I loosened up the bolts

20160116_140644_zpspwttevei.jpg

Popped up with ease, revealing a slightly out of shape cover plate in behind it. Anyone know if this is ok to reuse? Part number is 06a103645 and I'm struggling to find a reasonable supplier here, not contacted TPS yet though. From what I can make out it's only really to keep the grime out so shouldn't be too much of an issue.

20160116_141301_zpswhmmfuid.jpg

With that out the way, I was able to get the stand plate bolted up. Need to get some slightly different bolts (They're M12x1.75 but the ones I had were shanked, ideally need to be ~90mm and threaded the full length)

20160116_142726_zps2dburw58.jpg

At this point I could have slotted the engine onto the stand to make things easier to work with, but with me being a weedy b*****d and not having anyone else about, I figured it best to shed some weight so I could haul it up.

Rocker cover off so I could pull the head off. Was pleased to see the cams in good shape

20160116_143112_zpsdq8lqzl2.jpg

20160116_143136_zpsnpd2jafy.jpg

Head pulled off. I removed the head bolts in the same order the manual says to do them up. Don't think this is really necessary, but no harm in it. Valves are pretty sooty and could deal with a decent decoke!

20160116_165619_zpsb2vjqulr.jpg

20160116_145033_zps1dvblyqs.jpg

Also spotted that the inlet mani the seller had left on the block was a large port offering, despite the fact the head is small port. previous owner won't have been getting any benefit from this, but it gives me something else to either run if I go LP in the future, or sell on to recoup costs a little (more likely)

20160116_165640_zpszfr5hdq0.jpg

A quick look inside the bores show that things appear to be in reasonably decent shape. There's the usual ring around the top where there's obviously no wear from stock, but this doesn't feel like too much to me.

Is it ok to leave this and simply rehone the bores, or do I need to remove this properly beforehand?

20160116_145609_zpsjruiscxt.jpg

Pulled off the SAI pump. Given it looks as though the previous owner's Ibiza was modified I'm surprised this wasn't removed before.

20160116_165659_zps6v13k1hj.jpg

You'll notice the bright blue oil sandwich plate. I spotted this on collection and wondered if it'd been run to an external oil cooler on the Ibiza it came from, but on closer inspection seems it was merely used as an oil temperature sender. Another part to store/sell I suppose!

20160116_165707_zpsokm7qah0.jpg

20160116_172126_zpsq2myuhgv.jpg

Few more bits pulled off, the block was pretty much good to go in terms of popping it on the stand

20160116_171725_zpsrcyb556v.jpg

20160116_182210_zps25h4yaxy.jpg

Once it was up, I was able to have a slightly better look at things. Cleaned up one of the cylinders to have a closer look at its condition. Pistons etc will need a proper clean etc, but that will wait a while now. Cylinder walls look fairly polished and I need to measure them to double check they're still within spec, but seem to be in good shape so I think they'll likely be ok with just a honing and new rings.

20160116_204824_zpswpb4mlkb.jpg

Flipped the block over to take a quick look at the underside. Sump off, revealing oil pump/pickup etc. Pickup itself doesn't seem to be in bad shape, but will be replaced with the rebuild anyway as a matter of routine.

20160116_205945_zpsr74inspp.jpg

20160116_210001_zpsl2gqtda2.jpg

Unfortunately, this is where our story ends for a little while. I've joined a new unit at work and due to some pretty awful organisation by the higher-ups I'm likely to be stuck in the arse end of Scotland for a little while. This means rarely getting home and only for a day or so when I can so the engine is likely to go untouched until potentially the summer now. Gutted :(

20160118_1618081_zps50h1bpvu.jpg

20160118_153641_zpswj9evyow.jpg

20160118_154614_zpsjap7svjg.jpg

Oh yeah, and the one thing I've been able to do here in the arse end of nowhere is measure up an old exhaust mani gasket to start planning an adapter for potential TFSI goodness. Having never done any CAD stuff I was pretty happy for a 20 minute attempt...

20160111_185732_zpsedsz5uxm.jpg

tfsiadaptermock_zpsxet9vf5r.png

• Like 2

Looking good Bird, looks like a decent base to start off with.

Got the loom out of the Golf, amazing how much there is an a fairly low spec old car. Inside and out there are 96 plugs labelled and recorded, and even the some of them are doubled up (radio, climate control etc):

image.thumb.jpeg.bd697ae35976f66120ddb4e

Then pulled the front bumper off, and got the air con rad, and coolant radiator ready to come off:

image.thumb.jpeg.dd890d0722f1d9db2eda3ff

Then hooked up the engine crane once the exhaust and driveshafts etc were disconnected:

image.thumb.jpeg.e31984b480f253da499da34

Then pulled the engine out:

image.thumb.jpeg.f5847d0b74e6747c83570e3

Now I have everything I need from the car, so it can go off to be weighed in. The engine and box need a damn good clean, they're rank!

image.thumb.jpeg.c44b31f37034730b0c119bd

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Mark W said:

Were you out driving your Clio around Leeds today?

Top Gear's FB page posted up a piece about them driving a McLaren, Porsche and Lambo over that Hardknott Pass.  That video didn't go down well...

In the city centre? Not me if so. But I was in Leeds just at my parents on the outskirts 

Integra engine is happening. Collecting it next week along with a double core alloy rad, engine loom, and the correct ECU. 

Only leaves me to find some sort of intake system and one or two coolant hoses and it's ready to drop in some time in the next few weeks. Excited! 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Luke Rainbird said:

the block was a large port offering, despite the fact the head is small port. previous owner won't have been getting any benefit from this, but it gives me something else to either run if I go LP in the future,

That would properly f**k up your inlet charge! Ok it's FI so not quite as critical as NA but still going to royally screw up any decent hydraulic flow.  Is it possible to open up the small ports to large port dimensions?  If you have a spare head (incase of f**kups) it's a nice project up in the deepest darkest scotchland to try to learn to gasflow the head :)

Unfortunately I don't have the space or facilities up here to do it. Realistically the best options would be to run a large port head, or you can buy transitional phenolic spacers that sit between the two. From my understanding large port isn't really required until ~450bhp or there abouts, so I'll just be running a small port head and inlet mani anyway.

Would certainly be interesting to learn a bit more about gasflowing the head etc, but I get the impression there's a pretty fine line between optimising flow and completely messing it up! Down the line I might consider a built head, but at this point it isn't necessary by all accounts and is damn expensive, so being a tight git that'll wave to wait :P

Yeah for sure. Given that the car is still primarily a daily/fast road car rather than purely receiving track abuse the additional low down torque which the small head gives will be more of a benefit to me than the top end flow of a large port setup. That said, I wouldn't have thought there's likely to be a huge amount in it on my setup.

Edit; Just had a confirmation of dispatch for the new oil pump chain I ordered. Confirmation that it's going to the base in Portsmouth, rather than home or base in Scotland because I didn't double check the address that auto-completed. Muppet. >_<

Yup keep your inlet tract as small as possible, increases charge velocity (google velocity tuning by motoman if you want an interesting read). The smaller port will help increase useable torque at lower revs, it will eventually throttle the engine when you get to massive numbers though.  As long as you're putting a small port back on there then it's all good, still worth port matching if there is much of a step.

Use some engineers blue to coat the head side of the joint, put the manifold on and torque it up, remove manifold and see if there is any overlap on the manifold (blue transfer to the manifold larger than the cast ports) and repeat the process with the blue applied to the manifold to check if the head ports are larger than the manifold.  Match both sides up if there are any differneces and you will get much, much better gasflow.  Simple and can't really go wrong :)

I matched the exhaust ports on the supermoto during one of it's rebuilds and it made a huge difference to the power curve, much more midrange on the arsedyno­™, the head ports were about 3mm smaller over the diameter than the exhaust header stubs.  That said it's a modernish engine so should be pretty well matched.

Shall take a look for the Motoman info this evening, cheers for the heads up :)
Edit; I've actually been using the site reading about breaking in methods etc. This article on reducing the intake port size using JB Weld was pretty interesting. I don't think it's something I'll do, but then again I do have a shitload left over from when I stuck a snapped chainstay back together when building Soph a full suss rig last year...

I'll probably port match to the mani gasket to make sure things are as smoothly flowing as possible if I get the chance. If not it's another little thing to do down the line of course which all helps. S'alllllll about the flow!