The Car Thread

MadManMike

56 minutes ago, Adam@TartyBikes said:

Which ones did you go for? Are your rubber ones dead? Anything but Super Pro or IL Motorsport will be a downgrade IMO...

Yep, they're all old and battered. I've bought a set of old wishbones to clean up and paint and fit all new bushes.

I went for Flo-Flex ones, a few people have recommended them and they'll certainly be better than the wrecked ones currently on there.

I'm trying to do a complete overhaul of the steering components, as it just doesn't feel good - after full geo set up it's still loose and pulls to either side. Hoping all new bushes and drop links will solve the problem.

Are they definitely battered? Sorry to keep pushing the point but... I've dealt with 6 MX-5s, all of similar age to yours, and never seen a dead wishbone bushing on any of them (drop links / ARBs yes, but not wishbones). it is of course possible but it's worth checking before going ahead and repalcing IMO.

The Flo Flex ones are... bluntly... crap. People say they are good because they make the car 'feel' lively and fast, but a good friend of mine fitted some to his race car and they were squeaky, induced binding into the suspension and generally nasty. He swapped them for IL and the car has been completely transformed.

Again, sorry to bang on, but just trying to save you the cost of a wasted set of bushings and a full geo...

32 minutes ago, Adam@TartyBikes said:

Are they definitely battered? Sorry to keep pushing the point but... I've dealt with 6 MX-5s, all of similar age to yours, and never seen a dead wishbone bushing on any of them (drop links / ARBs yes, but not wishbones). it is of course possible but it's worth checking before going ahead and repalcing IMO.

The Flo Flex ones are... bluntly... crap. People say they are good because they make the car 'feel' lively and fast, but a good friend of mine fitted some to his race car and they were squeaky, induced binding into the suspension and generally nasty. He swapped them for IL and the car has been completely transformed.

Again, sorry to bang on, but just trying to save you the cost of a wasted set of bushings and a full geo...

I've cancelled the order (Well, requested to). Some people said the Flo Flex were OK, but I hear they need maintenance to avoid the squeak / seize issue, so I'm not up for that.

Is it likely that my loose steering is down to drop links and arb bushes being dead?

I'd just like the car to feel tight, rather than the wandering it does in a straight line.

Yeah, about every week you'd need to have them off for greasing, lol.

It's unlikely but possible... are the drop links and ARB bushes dead?

Are all the ball joints OK? Do you trust the place that did the geo? You could try some toe in up front if you don't want the car to feel lively, easy DIY, can provide instructions.

FCM Motorsport did the geo, full print out and everything. They're very well known and trusted here, they race Evo's at Castle Combe.

To be honest, I don't know about the bushes, but there must be a reason the steering is so crap and those are the only things I can think of. If I'm not moving and I turn side to side it makes a clunking sound and doesn't "engage" for quarter of a turn or so. Hence when I'm driving the car likes to drift side to side. It's certainly better now it's had geo done but it feels mechanical rather than the geo being out.

Too lazy for many words tonight:
Carb cleaner/blue roll only, no abrasives.

20160131_132702_zpsjo3pum9c.jpg

20160131_132629_zpsvqilwpqs.jpg?t=145418

Stock drilling larger than I'd expected to see.

20160131_133000_zpsjenrj8hw.jpg

Provides lots of lube to small end.

20160131_133011_zpsvhb7brp8.jpg

Cleaned up bottom end. Will complete when crank removed at some point.

20160131_134717_zpsgvbac158.jpg

Waterpump was in. Now isn't.

20160131_141614_zpsykqxykp1.jpg

20160131_141739_zps1ytqh8dl.jpg

Now replaced by an entire t-shirt. Surprised it all fitted! Won't flow coolant as well but should keep crap out of the hole.

20160131_142020_zpsk5zvn7dn.jpg?t=145418

19 minutes ago, Adam@TartyBikes said:

The racks have auto adjustment, column is very unlikely to have play but also worth checking, yep. Things like inner tie rods, outer ball joints, top and bottom ball joints could do with a check too.

How does the auto adjustment work Adam? Aren't inner tie rods considered part of the rack or am I being stupid?

There's a spring-loaded 'guide' that presses against the back of the rack itself, ensuring it's always nice and snug with the pinion. The inner tie rods are replaceable on this rack, just screw on and off: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=miata+rack+schematic&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjIs-LigNXKAhUCoRoKHS11Dt0Q_AUICCgC&biw=1680&bih=913#tbm=isch&q=miata+inner+tie+rod

The main issue I face is that I don't really know what I'm looking at. I've done a lot of work on the car, but it's mostly rust and dirt, so I can't really tell if a part is worn out or not.

Having the car on axle stands in a parking space doesn't make inspection easy either.

I realise the solution is to take it to a garage, but they'll more than likely tell me everything needs changing - after all, that's how they make money.

Well the teg engine has fallen through for the time being. Had a lump of money go out that Id not expected/forgotten which doesnt make it affordable for a few weeks :(

B16 is almost completely reassembled now. Cam belt and water pump arrive tomorrow, and I'll be making a trip to Hull on Saturday to collect the last few bits and pieces I need to make the swap 100%. 

Mike: They have a ball joint on the inner end that sit in a cup, which in turn screws into the rack. All sealed by two long rubber boots. 

The ball joint can develop "in/out" play. One of mine also needs replacing on the civic. 

Was it a b18  you were going for Sam? 

Tegs been sat at parents for the last 2 months while I'm working abroad. Wasnt keen to drive it over untill i knew everything was going to go well. I have decided if all goes well here and contract goes into a rolling 1 I will be driving it over to Italy end of april. I'm 20 mins drive from Imola circuit so would definitely be booking up some track time there. Aswell as other circuits around. 

Car will be due it's mot again aswell by the time I get home so make sure it's in tip top condition before making any long journeys.

1 hour ago, MadManMike said:

Sounds like there's a good chance it's the rods then. I replaced the actual ball joints and rod ends, but didn't do the rods themselves.

Check them before buying anything!

21 minutes ago, forteh said:

Casual track time radio usage, are you training to be the next stig? :o

Haha. The steering wheel controls make it easy :)