The Car Thread

MadManMike

It's on 243k and the seals are buggered. All my friends have said just swap it out.

For £100 I can get an engine on about 90-110k that isn't drinking oil like I drink rum.

And it's never going to a garage, I'm part of the owners club ;)

• Like 1

Just now, MadManMike said:

It's on 243k and the seals are buggered. All my friends have said just swap it out.

For £100 I can get an engine on about 90-110k that isn't drinking oil like I drink rum.

And it's never going to a garage, I'm part of the owners club ;)

For £100 you cant argue then! 

What makes the seals a ball ache to do? I cant say Ive delved too far into them other than regular servicing and belt changes. I cant imagine them being too difficult unless it involves lifters and reshimming them accordingly. 

1 minute ago, SamKidney said:

For £100 you cant argue then! 

What makes the seals a ball ache to do? I cant say Ive delved too far into them other than regular servicing and belt changes. I cant imagine them being too difficult unless it involves lifters and reshimming them accordingly. 

I don't know to be honest, just from what I've read today it seems it's not a simple case of just swapping them over. Apparently they normally leak because of other problems, so I think it's a more involved job.

I'd rather take it to a mates house and spend a weekend with a case of beer and an engine hoist - I don't actually have a free weekend for about a month though.

MOT next month too, damn that's come around fast :(

Emailed adrian flux to cancel my policy today for the integra for a refund of the remaining balance as i had paid in full. 

I knew i would have to pay some sort of cancellation fee. The insurer wants £27 to cancel adrian flux wants £25 to cancel and they always want full commission on top so in all they are trying to charge me £130 off the refund that i am been owed.

Does this seem fair to you guys? 

When I switched from the focus to the s-max, Hastings were the cheapest renewal (handy as I was already with them) so I figured it would just be an admin fee of 20 quid or so + the increased premium to change the car.

Turns out they wanted to charge me almost 200 quid to change the vehicle, however they could cancel the policy for 12 quid as long as I took out a new policy for the s-max!

To quote the Streets, "It was supposed to be so eeeeeasyyyyyyy"

Was fine first start, now it's got a good old knock on. Even with my most naive, positive-thinking cap on i'm struggling to believe this isn't a rod - however, it's got brand new bearings and all journals are within tolerance so it doesn't quite add up.

Thoughts? Increases with revs but doesn't really get louder or more frantic. I've been told this cam is noisy but i'm struggling to believe it's that... 

Yours, off to find another another another engine. 

4 hours ago, Danny said:

Not really but its probably in the terms and conditions so theres probably little you can do.  Can you swap it to your new car instead of canceling?

Hey Danny i wont be sorting out a new car until i am home so swapping the policy over aint an option at the minuite. I have sent an email back saying im not happy with the commission so we shall see what they say u dont try u dont get. 

After a quick google search seems alot of people have been charged an extreme amount to cancel or change policies some of them even been cheaper to run out even after just a few months in. Will see what they reply with tomorrow. 

No dout it will be hidden away in some small print.

1 hour ago, forteh said:

When I switched from the focus to the s-max, Hastings were the cheapest renewal (handy as I was already with them) so I figured it would just be an admin fee of 20 quid or so + the increased premium to change the car.

Turns out they wanted to charge me almost 200 quid to change the vehicle, however they could cancel the policy for 12 quid as long as I took out a new policy for the s-max!

You really have to wander where they pull all this from when its as stupid as this. Same with them trying to pull a fast 1 and charge you more come renewal time than previous year.

3 hours ago, Skoze said:

To quote the Streets, "It was supposed to be so eeeeeasyyyyyyy"

Was fine first start, now it's got a good old knock on. Even with my most naive, positive-thinking cap on i'm struggling to believe this isn't a rod - however, it's got brand new bearings and all journals are within tolerance so it doesn't quite add up.

Thoughts? Increases with revs but doesn't really get louder or more frantic. I've been told this cam is noisy but i'm struggling to believe it's that... 

Yours, off to find another another another engine. 

Doesnt sound classically "bottom endy" 

Are all the pushrod/valve clearances correct? Were the little end bearings changed too? 

13 hours ago, SamKidney said:

Doesnt sound classically "bottom endy" 

I'm inclined to agree there, it's not really got a rattle to it just very consistent. I did set all valve clearances before it went in but will re-check when I re-torque heads - it's probably been running for about 5 minutes max as I keep wimping out and shutting it off not wanting to hurt it any more. It's also pretty smoky in the engine bay, I'm not too surprised as there's a lot of fresh paint and some oil's got about no doubt, gonna double check all exhaust nuts though but sounds far too hard to be a leak. 

MoT station/ garage is half a mile from home, so i'll run it over there for test tomorrow and get another opinion on it. Either way, i'll drop the sump immediately after and have the caps off. 

It's not cam follower float is it? Does the lumpy cam need lumpy springs to go with it? Would be far more apparent at higher revs though.

Is it at engine timing or faster /slower, that might help identify the source.

Don't all Ford V6's sound like that when the tappets are way out of line? 

I had an issue with a GTE where the adjuster lock nut was worn and every time I tightened it up the clearance would slip back until the nut unwound off the end of the rocker causing it to knock like f**k. 

All very good suggestions... These heads are from an oval hot rod which had a mental cam in it so i've not really given the springs much thought - certainly could be worth checking out though as it's one thing fitted working largely on the basis of assumption...

Jon Wade did also warn me i'll be spending my life keeping these tappets adjusted so you're probably on to something Jardo!

Got MoT in an hour so i'll gently nip it round the corner then start pulling things apart when I get home. Need to drop the sump anyway as i'd like to change the oil pump, fitted a high pressure one and my gauge is telling me that wasn't remotely necessary.

Passed MOT with no advisories! General consensus was cam noise of some degree, still gonna strip it down and see what's what when I have the time and motivation to do so. We'll get there eventually... 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Pashley26 said:

As usual I was slightly outclassed by my friends today, but not necessarily outgunned. 

13317025_1752276598320847_72695686176558

PPPWRX STI 1 - DB9 and SL55AMG 0 

No chance with the Huracan though.

Were you rallying, or were they completely unable to drive?

• Like 1

Yeah parking on a junction on an industrial estate is a bad shout dude. That said, you'd expect them to leave their details (Unless it was a massive lorry, in which case they may not have even noticed that they did it...)

Either way, it sucks massively.

Civic should be coming off the road next month to give me time to start its prep for spraying. Got my self a 306 diesel to roll around in for a while. 

Had my boss follow me up the bypass and it's blue smoke under power too, so the engines either coming back out to be over bored with rings and Pistons to suit or I'm going to build a B18 and keep feeding mine oil until it's done.