The Car Thread

MadManMike

On topic - In this week's edition of "things Luke looks into to pass the time but will never actually get around to fabricating":

IMG_20160609_220545_zpsylynh3sx.jpg

FirstAttemptCAD_zpsnzv3hc6a.png

Excuse the appalling CAD work - having never really used it before this is all a bit new to me so things are a bit rough, thrown together and no doubt technically awful but enough to give an idea of whether my thinking is along the right lines!

Alright lads, we've all had a few! :)

In my car news, I sourced a standard exhaust for mine - no more raspy fart can and rattles. I also swapped bootlids with someone, so my spoiler has gone now and I'm doing the fog light mod, where the upper brake light becomes the fog, which is handy for two reasons:

1) The fog light hanging down looks crap.

2) The fog light hanging down no longer works and my MOT is next month.

Just need to source a decent front drivers wing and a duck tail for the boot and it'll be cosmetically better. Still needs some rust treatment and a full re-spray really, but that's not mega urgent yet.

Please never actually use that fog light once you've done the mod, although I'm sure you wouldn't. Stuck behind one a couple of months ago and it was so distracting I nearly rear ended it trying to look around the blinding and eye-level light... Neat mod when not being used though (Y)

3 hours ago, Luke Rainbird said:

Applaud away, but I have no idea what First Angle is, Ed!

Very quick Google seems to point to the little triple-2d sketch (front, side, top view) layout. Kinda get what you mean now. Unaware that was the name for it though aware it exists :P

The words you're looking for are orthographic projection ;)

99%* of the engineering world seems to use 3rd angle, that is where the projected elevation is displayed on the same side that the projection is taken from (as opposed to 1st angle where it is displayed on the opposite side), only a few places use 1st angle these days (us included because we're an old company and stuck in our ways!).

Quite astonished that you actually drew it in 1st though, 3rd is a more natural (and currently taught) method of draughting.  Even after 25+ years of creating technical drawings, 16 of which have been in a 1st angle only environment I still occasionally slip back to training and start drawing in 3rd :)

*statistics brought to you today by onehundredandthirtypercentaccuratestatistics.com™

Edited by forteh
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, JD™ said:

Please never actually use that fog light once you've done the mod, although I'm sure you wouldn't. Stuck behind one a couple of months ago and it was so distracting I nearly rear ended it trying to look around the blinding and eye-level light... Neat mod when not being used though (Y)

I'm going to try and wire in both a brake light and fog light, as I like having the high level brake light. The more the merrier on a small car to be honest.

But yeah I never use the fog light, so no danger there.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, forteh said:

The words you're looking for are orthographic projection ;)

99%* of the engineering world seems to use 3rd angle, that is where the projected elevation is displayed on the same side that the projection is taken from (as opposed to 1st angle where it is displayed on the opposite side), only a few places use 1st angle these days (us included because we're an old company and stuck in our ways!).

Quite astonished that you actually drew it in 1st though, 3rd is a more natural (and currently taught) method of draughting.  Even after 25+ years of creating technical drawings, 16 of which have been in a 1st angle only environment I still occasionally slip back to training and start drawing in 3rd :)

*statistics brought to you today by onehundredandthirtypercentaccuratestatistics.com

Yeah, that'll be the one :P

Not sure why, but that way just seemed far more natural to me. I suppose it doesn't make a huge amount of difference if you were to hand the drawings over to a company to produce provided things were labeled up well (unlike mine) and accompanied by a rough 3d sketch/explanation, though as you say it makes sense a firm would stick to one method when producing their own drawings.

BUT WHAT ISSSSSSS ITTTTTTT

A rather crude version of a VWMS shifter like this. Few little tweaks and changes but functionally this is what I'm working around:
bigstick.jpg

Whether or not I ever actually make it is another matter entirely, but quite enjoying figuring it all out and playing with some CAD software, even if it is only SketchUp :)

10 hours ago, dann2707 said:

BUT WHAT ISSSSSSS ITTTTTTT

A rather crude version of a VWMS shifter like this. Few little tweaks and changes but functionally this is what I'm working around:
bigstick.jpg

Whether or not I ever actually make it is another matter entirely, but quite enjoying figuring it all out and playing with some CAD software, even if it is only SketchUp :)

Edit; It's all gone to shit trying to use volumes of rotation etc. Need to play more to get things right but here's a slightly more complete setup using some NastyAsFunk lever/knob models thrown together to show you how it actually works (few minor components still not on there until I work the software out a little more)

FirstAttemptCAD2.png