The Car Thread

MadManMike

This weekend I was back at my parents house for my Sisters birthday bbq party.

It mainly consisted of preparing for Blyton park next week.

On saturday morning I had my alignment. They knew all about the crash and spotted this on the rear carrier to the beam. If you look closely at the right of the bracket you can see how it's shiny and clean as it's slide during the impact. We loosened the carrier bolts and slid it back into place :)

27643336300_7ef547feaa_b.jpg20160625_131128 by dann2707, on Flickr

Random pic of the car coming out.

27844703871_b0d61a64f5_b.jpg20160625_142825 by dann2707, on Flickr

Then today I have removed the front pads and ground the tabs down a bit as they were absolutely stud solid in the carriers before. Now they move freely which is good.

Also i've raised my seat and moved it forward by using some aluminium plate. It feels so much better to drive now as i'm not reaching UP for the steering wheel. My head is also level and im not tilting my head back to see over the dash lol. This is all because I removed my runners and they are around 30mm in itself. 

Then took some random pics on the way home. I realllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly need to clean it on the inside and out before Blyton.

27921710635_dc5e6bf1ab_b.jpg20160626_204534 by dann2707, on Flickr

27309554734_29159ed350_b.jpg20160626_204950 by dann2707, on Flickr

27308698233_f22df761f6_b.jpg20160626_204956 by dann2707, on Flickr

27844745241_cc9e31e6c7_b.jpg20160626_205023 by dann2707, on Flickr
  • Like 1

Looks good Dan, nice one!

Did discs and pads on Soph's Golf this morning and a service on mum's Polo. Both now feel far better for it - fairly sure mum's car hasn't had any love since she got it around 2 years ago so long overdue, though she only uses it as a runaround in the village so it racks up minimal (though start-stop) miles. Dread to think of the wear and tear going on in there really.

Didn't get a chance to check out my exhaust over the weekend as I'd intended, so that's pushed right a little. Need to work out a few bits and sort out getting adapters/flanges cut, so will likely be in touch with @craigjames/ @RobinJI this week to try and get things sorted. Once they're cut I can look at sorting out a downpipe and then I'm almost within reach of getting the new engine/turbo in. Sooner the better really - after ~12 months of driving the car with a dying turbo it's only a matter of time before it all shits the bed :P

• Like 1

I did some car stuff yesterday. 

I gave it a quick look over and rectified a small oil leak, happy. 

I changed my gearbox oil for some fresh Honda MTF, super slick. 

Raised the front end ride height 15mm, fully driveable, including sleeping policemen. 

Bought a complete Energy Suspension polybush kit. Fitted the gear linkage bushes and it feels way better than before, really solid and no play. Got the front lower arm rear bushes done at the same time as I don't have to fully remove the arms to do so, just required the ARB brackets removing so I could bar them down the appropriate amount. 

Tonight will see the lower front shock bushes fitted, front arm front bushes and front upper arm bushes replaced. The rear trailing arms are the ones I'm looking forward to least. 

Also met up with my mate who's just got himself back in a Civic, some really cool bits on it. Can't wait to get it painted as the mis match is doing my nut in! 

Also got hold of some VTi clocks that are now in. Had been dying to rid myself of the 1.4 clocks. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Next month should see Meister Rs fitted, 4 point alignment and paint. Fingers crossed. 

3 hours ago, Danny said:

Im sure you would feel a difference if you replaced all the bushes with standard ones.  I'm guessing the current ones are 'tired'?

The current ones are tired, but for the purpose I eventually want the car to be used for the poly bushes are the way forward. 

Cost was a factor too. I got a complete cars worth of bushes for £100. The oem bushes aren't largely available and the likes of the front upper arms have to be replaced as a unit at £40.00 odd a piece.. the factors equivalents are terrible and sourcing OE parts for a 98' Civic through Honda isn't always successful 

Edited by SamKidney

Right, been to look at this clio 182 today, its done 64k, belts been done once at 35k, has the normal sound of a 182 motor, needs new disks and pads on the front (which im fully aware of the cost and such) and comes with a k-tek exhaust fitted about a month ago. Full fat cup pack. 05 plate.
Anything else to keep my eyes peeled for thats unique to 182's?

He wants £1500, i guess that is a bargain?

39 minutes ago, TROYston said:

Right, been to look at this clio 182 today, its done 64k, belts been done once at 35k, has the normal sound of a 182 motor, needs new disks and pads on the front (which im fully aware of the cost and such) and comes with a k-tek exhaust fitted about a month ago. Full fat cup pack. 05 plate.
Anything else to keep my eyes peeled for thats unique to 182's?

He wants £1500, i guess that is a bargain?

Got a link to the advert or any pics i'll be able to tell you straight away if there's anything a miss etc.

That is a bargain though without a doubt, what colour and what condition was it in overall?

Ill get some pics when im off next, but its a lad i work with, i have been with him when it was his daily, and it seems okay.

Ill ask about proof of history.

Im some vile black, with fogged up headlights(will probably need another set of lenses) a little dent on the drivers door, no bigger than a 5p. needs a good detailing, but the condition of it all is great minus those points, the seats and wheel are in good condition also.

ironically when he was looking at buying one before he had the one for sale, i found him a blue 182 for sale that sold within a day, half a year later he bought the same one haha.
I trust him as a seller, he has also said to me i can have it when ever and pay him later, but id rather not.

Did a little something tonight, just for a finishing touch really. My harness toggle pull things were fading badly. It's so hard to capture it.

27705099280_bd41806a08_b.jpg20160629_190122 by dann2707, on Flickr

And now they look like this. Again it's hard to capture it but in the background you can see how it actually looks. it's luminous yellow! WOOOOO. Also was only £5 for three from the range.

I think they'reform a 7/8, though the seats themselves remained pretty much identical for a number of years, just with different trim. Annoyingly, you can' buy the factory cloth to recover them which I was hoping for and I don't have the time/skills to do them myself. If anybody wants them cheap let me know, more than happy to move them on.

EVO8GSR.jpg

I had XL's in the Leon. Unless you are under 32" waist, the standards will be uncomfortable. They are great for a soley track car, because they really hug you, but for anything but else they will dig into your hips.

Pretty sure I was one of the first in the UK to have them, everybody followed suit after :P

1 hour ago, Wrayvon said:

@SamKidney were you in East morton today? Saw a car very much like yours, even to the point of the multi-shades of blue on the side :P

I was! I live there! You live local?? 

If it was loud and is 50 shades of blue then yes, it was me :P

Edited by SamKidney