The Car Thread

MadManMike

17 minutes ago, Luke Rainbird said:

Which engine? Looks like a a good base for some fun :)

BAM 225 

2 owners, folder full of invoices, wanted for nothing. 103k proper car!.. really happy with it, it's got cheap tyres on it which is bugging me but they're practically new so I'm not changing them yet! Ha..

The inner chav in me is crying out for a dump valve!

Edited by AdamAllen

Sounds good, nicely done.

Don't put a dump valve anywhere near it, the 1.8t hates atmospheric valves. Best diverter valve for it is the OEM one though some people go for a Forge 007/008. Wouldn't bother personally, but if you're insistent on replacing things...

That said, if you're in the mindset of fettling, it's a damn slippery slope ;)

13 hours ago, Luke Rainbird said:

Sounds good, nicely done.

Don't put a dump valve anywhere near it, the 1.8t hates atmospheric valves. Best diverter valve for it is the OEM one though some people go for a Forge 007/008. Wouldn't bother personally, but if you're insistent on replacing things...

That said, if you're in the mindset of fettling, it's a damn slippery slope ;)

Yeah so ive read, that or the SplitR, might just leave it, half tempted at the wakbox mod, I know itll be heatsoak city but the induction noise would be abit special haha.

20 minutes ago, AdamAllen said:

Yeah so ive read, that or the SplitR, might just leave it, half tempted at the wakbox mod, I know itll be heatsoak city but the induction noise would be abit special haha.

SplitR is (almost) as bad as atmospheric, since that's where it's dumping a proportion of the charge. Avoid.

Drilled airbox will give increased noise and won't hurt too much with regards to heat soak. Obviously the cooler the air you can get in there the better though as usual. Could just whip out the airbox entirely and throw in an S2000 filter (cheap) or similar, decent cone of course.

• Like 2

@Mikee I absolutely adore mine, I think it is a a great little car. Don't buy one expecting it to be quick (mines a 2.0 na, you can get a turbo or a 2.5 version too which have a bit more oomph), but that's not really that important, it is a really fun drive in standard form and mine in its current form (15" steels with wider tyres, coilovers and a RARB) is superb fun as well as still being a comfortable GT cruiser as intended. Think of it like a more roomy non convertible MX5 in that they are great handling and fun in the twisty bits but not so hot in the straights.

Running costs really depend on the base car and your abilities to fix it. Most things are fairly cheap as they are shared with VW/Audi underpinnings, some parts seem very expensive in comparison as they are Porsche specific but if you shop around you can pick up bargains still. The only difficult parts of this car are the clutch (either engine out or as its transaxle you remove the gearbox, drop the rear suspension, slide the torque tube over and do it that way) and some have rusty tanks that need replacing (gearbox out, drop rear suspension). The rest of the car is fairly easy to work on, most are rot free apart from the battery tray. 

If you like to modify them then engine swaps are not as simple as dropping in a VAG lump, the 5 cylinders fit as do the V8s theoretically but these are not exactly budget options. I'm hoping to fit either a 1.8t or a 1.9TDI to mine, I just need to make an adaptor at some point. 5 stud stuff can be fitted so a host of wheel and brake upgrades are possible. Some people fit GT kits but they are generally considered more hassle than it's worth (I disagree because they look great!).

The car was my daily for a year, my car of preference when I bought a different daily (astra cdti) and this year it mainly just does nice days as it's a faff getting it out of the car port with 2 other cars in the way! As a daily, it's the usual old car woes in the winter, seals get old and aren't cheap to replace but once done it's just like any other car :) If you need any help @RobinJI and I both have one so between us we can answer most questions.

I've removed most of my interior ready for arch replacements its inside out respray any time now, just waiting on the 306 I'll be using for a few weeks to come available. 

When i say most I have a dash board and a drivers seat left. It feels incredibly raw and racecar like, extremely loud and the road noise is horrendous. 

I love it :lol:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CurtisRider said:

@Tom Booth She's at Millbrook, hence the frustration :(

@AdamAllen I struggled to get a genuine Sachs set up for less than that when I got one for my Astra, even that was a mistake price as most were £100 more and they decided to go through with it

Everywhere else is 140 for the clutch and 400+ for the fly, So this seems to good to be true!