The Car Thread

MadManMike

This is epic. And to think it's 6 years until he'll be able to legally drive.

I was drifting when I was 11, racing grass track bangers, I even came 3rd in the 'cornish championships' (which wasn't in cornwall!) driving Jardo's girlfriends 2.0L capri!

Don't think I could do it now though :lol:

I'll probably be buying a Silvia over here, as they so cheap. Non turbs but easy enough to turbs, or can pay a little extra and get a ca18det in there, but will see.

You know the rules Si, never build what you can buy already.....

....oh hang on a minute

• Like 2

I hear the stories about that f**king Capri on a daily basis; it's all she ever goes on about when I tell her she can't drive.

"I beat Prawns once blah blah blah"

And I'm like..."Yeah, because Prawn didn't turn up love."

-

In other news I've been playing with the Audi.

I've got all the bits set for a service at the weekend, I bought a 007p rebuild kit and spring set for it and rebuilt the dump valve tonight so now it goes fwapshshsh but I want it to flutter a little bit more so I'm still going to need to play with it.

I'll be putting Nick's old front mount and the Milltek exhaust that was on actual A3 in the first week in October and depending on funds I'll be taking it up to our friend Niki who owns R-Tech to have it remapped again to stage 2/custom spec. Hoping to break the 230bhp mark. Niki seems to be getting 230bhp out of most 1.8t's these days so it should be alright given the high spec of the car; all depends how it decides to run on the day.

I've noticed the injectors are ticking though which is annoying me, the AUM injectors are a fairly decent size at 317cc so can flow for the power I want no problems. Not sure if I'm going to clean them or just buy a set, they're hardly expensive.

I'm really starting to hate the clutch, 1.8t's have a fair decent clutch. But I'm used to the VR6/G60 single mass upgrade because that's what I've always had and I spent years driving Nick's which has always had a VR6 clutch. So this sack of shit is getting right on my tits.

Other than that I am still happy and glad to be playing with a 1.8t again; it's so nice to know 100% exactly what I'm doing. Should never have sold mine one :(

Booked in for MOT too; which it'll fly though obviously lol

Exhaust -

17060_272224885129_5884158_n.jpg

Old FMIC -

17060_272225175129_328158_n.jpg

The thing I love about the FMIC is how much it tidies up the engine bay; it makes a huge difference to how everything sits and lines up under the bonnet.

Standard routing and SMIC -

217609_10150270672805130_1603028_n.jpg

Routing with FMIC -

305365_10150461621280130_2068986672_n.jpg

310822_10150461640185130_1382277432_n.jpg

Edited by Pashley26

Nope! I never really liked this car, because it's just a dull car to drive. Feels totally standard in terms of power delivery, and other than a dump valve it just feels like a totally stock A3 but a lot quicker.

IMO any A3 that isn't stage 2 or higher is gay. It's all there in this one, it just needs a front mount fitting and the mapping probably won't cost me more than a pack of hobnobs; just wasn't any point doing it for Lou :)

Edited by Pashley26

How can you say an fmic on a ko3s TIDYS the engine bay?! The charge pipe looks f**king shit! Doesn't blend in at all, and is obviously an after thought!

No matter what you do to the 007p, you won't get it to flutter...if you do, you've f**ked it.

Injectors have ticked on every single 1.8t I have ever seen, I think its just how they are. Cleaning them in an ultrasonic bath wouldn't hurt though :)

I got it to flutter just fine, disconnected the vacuum hose lol Thinking about getting Dan to build me a K04 hybrid out of one of Nicks old K03's. £500 for the snail, and it'll be good for 300bhp with a maf, injectors and K04 TIP. That said I'm watching a Forge actuator on ebay and do fancy maxing out the K03 because it just makes so little sense but is so rewarding.

Of cause it does, look at all that mangly pube looking like hoses and shit above the turbo and around the charge pipe. It looks turd and makes it impossible to do anything with the manifold. I want another coldside relocation kit too. But it's all many pennies I don't have at the moment.

Not sure if I can be arsed to clean them in an ultra sonic bath, I might use Prawns when I go home I dunno. But it is just annoying as f**k and sounds like arse when you open the bonnet.

Edited by Pashley26

You know the rules Si, never build what you can buy already.....

....oh hang on a minute

Me and any kind of car modification rules don't ever see eye to eye. ;)

Bloody expensive to buy a car here though, your cars registration is your 3rd party insurance, so i don't actually need to get insurance and anyone can drive the car insured. If you crash though, you don't get any money for your car. This does however mean that buying a car is never as cheap as it looks. If for example if you buy a new car, you have to pay another 2k-5k ontop to get on the road.

Still, Silvia seems like best option, especially like this one;

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/hillarys/cars/1991-nissan-silvia-coupe-sr20/1007102396

Need to get savinggggg.

I got it to flutter just fine, disconnected the vacuum hose lol Thinking about getting Dan to build me a K04 hybrid out of one of Nicks old K03's. £500 for the snail, and it'll be good for 300bhp with a maf, injectors and K04 TIP. That said I'm watching a Forge actuator on ebay and do fancy maxing out the K03 because it just makes so little sense but is so rewarding.

Of cause it does, look at all that mangly pube looking like hoses and shit above the turbo and around the charge pipe. It looks turd and makes it impossible to do anything with the manifold. I want another coldside relocation kit too. But it's all many pennies I don't have at the moment.

Not sure if I can be arsed to clean them in an ultra sonic bath, I might use Prawns when I go home I dunno. But it is just annoying as f**k and sounds like arse when you open the bonnet.

That's not flutter, that's compressor stall :P

Seriously though, there's sod all you can do to a 007p to change the sound (other than reversing it, but then it sounds like a squeeky wet fart!)

If you ran an engine cover like a normal person, you wouldn't see the factory charge pipe hoses. That whopping great pipe running across the bay just looks SO max power, especially when its wrapped! The only crossover pipe that looks any good is the ko4 one, but that doesn't really help with the setup you have!

Seeing as you're such good mates with Niki, ask him what he thinks of cold side relocations, then you won't want another one ;)

I thiiiiiink the ticking noise you're hearing might be the charcoal canistor (EVAP). Look for a black box about 3 inches square between the washer bottle and the expansion bottle (NOT the power steering resivoir!), and pull the electrical connection...the ticking should stop. It used to do my head in on both my a3 and the lcr, so I removed it from both. Its still plugged in electrically on the lcr (the actual valve bit just pulls out from the lid), but its wrapped in shit loads of tape, and stuffed really low down in the engine, so you can't hear it over the rest of the mechanical noises. Well worth doing.

Either way, with the hose off it sounds badass. Prawns old daily used to sound immense with a yellow spring, proper mix of stall and dump. I want that :(

I like having the FMIC in, it's what I'm used to.

No engine cover, I hate them. It's just one extra thing to take off every time you wan to do something, not only that but having it on is an awesome way of keeping everything under the engine cover hotter than they need to be. I don't want roasting coil packs and splitting coil wires. I had a custom painted one old the last A3, that wasn't too bad to be fair. But all the holes/dimples in it had been drilled so in my mind the made up problem of heat retention was sorted.

Coldside kits are made of win, as long as you have an intercooler that works. On a dyno they make little sense because the pissy little fmic's people buy off ebay heat soak within two runs. But on the road with a constant stream of cool air they do an epic job, and they look great and keep the DV healthy for longer.

Go out for a nail in the LCR and then try and grab your DV, it'll be hot as f**k. Like 70*.

EVAP/charcoal canister went ages ago.

Found these pictures of the Audi when we first got it, lol for standard car!

10864_231272020129_2155823_n.jpg

10864_231271965129_6219952_n.jpg

Edited by Pashley26

You dont need to educate me dude ;)

Niki took Nicks coldside relocation off when he was mapping it and put it back to factory location. Doesn't that say something? Seeing as the sun shines out his ass in your eyes, I thought you'd want the same!

You've bought the wrong car for chavvy dumpvalve noises...go buy a 200sx or something :P

• Like 2

In all fairness the sun does shin out of Niki's arse. He is a hero.

I will still be fitting one though, because it is how I know it and keeps the engine bay familair.

I am thinking of painting the rest bumper and lower portion of the boot today, just to make it look tip top from the back. What's the worst that can happen :P

To the clever modders: is there any ready made solution to stop fuel starvation while going through corners? I don't know how much G my car is pulling but half a tank just isn't enough. And frankly speaking I'm looking at having 10L (1/6th tank) for sprint events to keep weight down to a minimum. Possible? I'd rather retain the original tank.

Jolly nice, thank you very much kind sir!

If I'm not mistaken, my car would have a high pressure pump inside the tank? So swirl pot aside, I'd need to replace it with a low pressure pump and add a high pressure pump on the feed line between the pot and engine? Or can one retain the high pressure pump in the tank and just add another one further on?

To be honest... I am not sure, haha. My cars have had them already fitted when I bought them :$

I don't think you could run high pressure -> low pressure -> high pressure pumps in a fuel system? So you might have to do the first solution... Someone will know more than me!

Edit: Edited my other post with another idea...