The Car Thread

MadManMike

Wahooo rubber dingy rapids!

Found out I've won £380 of Amazon vouchers for winning some Mazda prize for selling the most MX5's in the country over the last quarter.

So I bought a Creation Motorsport coldside dump valve relocation kit, a set of superpro caster correction rear lower arm bushes, a set of generic polybush lower arm bushes, a set of powerflex rear subframe mounts, a set of Creation Motorsport blue brake booster pipes, a set of blue silicone joiners for the FMIC Prawn's got for me and all the associated clips, and a couple of WW2 books.

All in all quite a good day :)

I did some logs the other day and was showing 179g/s every single time which means 224bhp , and I did a couple this morning with super cold fog which showed 183.5g/s of airflow which would equate to 229bhp. I'd estimate it was between 225 and 229bhp this morning to be honest; but if the log is as true as they are shown to be it would make it certainly one of the most powerful stage 1 cars I've ever seen.

Dividing the airflow by 0.8 has been proven to be within a couple of percent of a reputable rolling road. From working logs out Prawns last A3 which is now owned by Pierre was within 1bhp of the projected figure from logs.

Either way; very impressive.

• Like 1

Well, here's my Bm for anyone that's interested. today was a bit of a breakthrough day as it's the first time it's been out of the unit since i bought it months ago. it's now driving and stopping (just!).

even though i'm now at this stage there's a whole load of stuff still to do before i get a ticket - so i better get back to it........

post-76-0-61757100-1350239814_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Yeah guys - I'm fine... This is the most annoying part!

553388_4603044234772_1228270078_n.jpg

Was heading down towards Lochaline to get the ferry to Mull for the rally this weekend... Came round a bend 40/45 mph to be met by some fanny flying at me - I decided the speed he was doing I'd rather take for the grass than hit him. Took for the grass, locked up and went off the edge. Took the front left wishbone out, which yanked the steering out my hands which through me straight into a boulder, caught the front end and somersaulted me length ways (not speed, bear in mind the van was almost vertical due to going over the edge anyway, landed on the roof and rolled onto its side. All pretty much a blur if i'm honest - both got away unscathed though, which would be a completely different story if I'd chosen the other option and hit him. He must of been on 65/70, would of been a mess. knows he was in the wrong as he shouted something and drove off as I was trying to climb out the passenger door...

Managed to get it back on it's wheels and drove it along the shore, as the tide was coming in...

414572_280226465427894_1640737210_o.jpg

644749_280051845445356_1122122598_n.jpg

Ended up being a recovery job though, as there was a 5/6 foot drop that there was no way she'd come back up...

665509_4607371422949_943163967_o.jpg

665179_4607396663580_210616968_o.jpg

That's been on it's roof? Must be strong as f**k, it's not even dented.

Looking at the bend where your mums TT is, the narrow slippery single width road and the drop to the right hand side I'd say even 45/50mph was too fast for the conditions. Something we all live and learn from; like you will have I learnt the very hard way twice. And it's made me a total girl pants; no more hooning for me.

Edited by Pashley26

The time has come and I have saved up some dollar finally. Basically I am looking for a new car to replace my mini as a daily. Got about a grand to spend on a car. I'd like it to be a bit stylish/funky/not boring, don't really want anything run of the mill or common, ideally not too dear to insure (have a couple years no claims). Anything you can suggest I look at? I don't mind a bit of bodywork or a few mechanical gremlins that can be sorted.

So far I've been looking at alfa 147s, smaller engined e30s, mk2 golfs and the odd thing here and there but I then seem to get lost for ideas.

There anything you can reccomend I look at or where to look?

Road was dry when I crashed jardo, rain started about 15 minutes after crashing - and it's actually quite a long sweeping bend, looks bad from the angle its at - i'll get some pics from a different angle - I didnt lose it, i took for the verge deliberately.

Cant remember how to link directly to street view - but head east on here http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=A861&daddr=Achaphubuil,+Highland+PH33,+UK&hl=en&sll=56.84453,-5.172144&sspn=0.001256,0.004128&geocode=FfFgYwMdPRSx_w%3BFVY8YwMd5o-x_ynNUFGUQcuOSDGIgiXvqxr9ag&t=h&mra=mift&mrsp=0&sz=19&z=19 - if it wasnt for a guy flying at me at the speed he was, 45 would of been adequate. Yes, i'll take the rap and say I should be prepared for idiots too, so 50 was possibly too much, but had the person not been doing 60mph plus, we would of been able to stop and reverse to a passing place. The guy obviously knew he was in the wrong as he stopped and carried on again without checking on us or anything.

Anyway, not going to debate who's in the right, who's in the wrong - case is, it's happened, and as of which, I'm without transport again - so it'll be taken into account in the future on that road. Even the police report says it wasn't a case of excess speed or anything though, as the verge isnt even torn up. They put it down to the verge collapsing underneath me, which it appears to of done as I went down today to check it out with a clear mind... It had been undermined and gave way while I was on it!

When upside down, I was suspended between two rocks, so no damage to the actual roof panel itself - but the rails running either side of the roof are both damaged, even on the side that didnt take any impact, so they can of only come from that. If you look at the bonnet, the forward roll was where the damage there came from - as its rolled over the front, taking the headlights out, bending the bonnet, and then it's gone up and rolled all along the pillar, and onto the roof rails before going onto its side. It's really proved to me though, these things are built like tanks - if I was in a car, it would of been a completely different story - the only REAL damage is the panel damage on the side, bonnet, and the wishbone! I know I probably shouldnt, due to there being damage to the roof pillars, but I'm going to try and get her back on the road - will take a good look at her tommorow - the chassis is still all straight!

Edited by DrDoom

Is that recovery truck really hoisting the van via the window frames? If they weren't ruined before, I'm sure they are now.

I guess it's pretty lucky you didn't end up in water. That would have been bad.

Yeah, the recovery agent tried telling me that it was a write off anyway - went mad when I saw how they were lifting it - especially as I'd put it back on its wheels and driven it to a point where it would of been a straight tow up an embankment rather than having to lift it - its f**ked both the doors!

Yeah, I can claim on insurance, but the van was only valued at £1000 - with my excess i'd only get £500 - Instead, I'm going to find a cheap one with a blown engine, and swap my engine/box over!

Police turned out, they have in car footage of their response - they passed the car on the single track, so are trying to trace it, but it was on foreign plates.

The time has come and I have saved up some dollar finally. Basically I am looking for a new car to replace my mini as a daily. Got about a grand to spend on a car. I'd like it to be a bit stylish/funky/not boring, don't really want anything run of the mill or common, ideally not too dear to insure (have a couple years no claims). Anything you can suggest I look at? I don't mind a bit of bodywork or a few mechanical gremlins that can be sorted.

So far I've been looking at alfa 147s, smaller engined e30s, mk2 golfs and the odd thing here and there but I then seem to get lost for ideas.

There anything you can reccomend I look at or where to look?

to be honest dunc I'd just go for a polo or something, derv 6n2s are awesome little cars for the money. I know there abit everyday but tax on them is cheap, cheap to insure an can be kinda fun. Mine was awesome. Was lowered 60mm so didn't look tooo shit either.

Niki who is a friend of Nick's and myself

I agree with all of what you've said...but you keep banging on about Niki being a good friend of yours and Nicks. He remapped Lou's car...you are a customer in his eyes. I'm sure as nice a guy as he is, he wouldn't class you as a mate, would he ever go for a drink with you, or meet up with you anywhere?

Nick's a bit different, he's spent many an hour doing his car, and as such does him very good rates in exchange for advertising etc.

Saying you're "friends" with somebody who is reaping success of his hard work doesn't give you some awesome one-up, which is what it's coming across as!

...just sayin'

P.S. Found both those plate surrounds. Hit me up on Facebook.