The Car Thread

MadManMike

47 minutes ago, MadManMike said:

Wanna do my rear sills mate? lol

I've never touched a welder in my life, but I now have inner sills - once I've found some cheap outers, it's chop and weld time!

Remember to disconnect your battery and ecu if you do start 

6 minutes ago, dann2707 said:

Remember to disconnect your battery and ecu if you do start 

Doesn't it depend on the type of welder I'm using?

There will be people on standby with fire extinguishers, just in case anything decides to catch fire.

1 hour ago, MadManMike said:

Doesn't it depend on the type of welder I'm using?

There will be people on standby with fire extinguishers, just in case anything decides to catch fire.

Not sure but for the sake of one bolt and a slide connector it's not worth risking. 

Are we saying that these are pretty much a direct fit??

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-KA-1996-TO-2008-NEW-FULL-SILL-BOTH-SIDES-LEFT-RIGHT-PAIR-007-006-/121985200950?epid=915367950&hash=item1c66e27336:g:3L8AAOSwezVWv0S5

If so, just over £40 for the pair is a bargain.

I may end up playing it safe and getting someone who knows what they're doing to weld them in.

I wouldn't necessarily say a direct fit, but I know when I worked at my dad's autofactors we sold no end of them for MX5 owners. They might take abit of fettling but get a competent metal man on the job and you'll be sorted.

Do you have a autofactors locally that might stock them to have a look at and compare?

Being reminded of my uni days when I'd be walking around the room revising notes. Never thought that at age 30 I'd be cramming in as much as possible about these 3 cars for work. Actually finding out some cool stuff about them, like why the ignition is always on the left. Never took any interest in Porsches. Started off by learning that these are 3 subsequent generations labeled 996, 997 and - quite logically - 991 :P 

20413936_1470061586415897_32092172478802

• Like 3

Lunch time at Cadwell. 

AD08R haven't been as hoped, after a few flying laps they're going off quickly, constant hot pressure of 29psi. 

Put the R888 on the front and it's a different car. 

Lovely combination with the AD08R on the rear. Having a reyt good time :D

• Like 2

Does anyone know where you can buy printed heat shrink tubing? I.e. to label wiring? 

I can't seem to find anywhere that does them.  I'm tempted to buy a machine to do it ~£150 and flog them on ebay.

Struggling to get quotes for less than £1000 for both sills and one arch... That does include paint, but still, ouch :(

I appreciate the amount of work involved, but I can't justify spending more than I paid for the car in the first place.

No, but I discovered my engine isn't as bad as first thought, so I'd rather stick with this one - I've put a lot of effort in, so it would be a shame to give up on it.

That said, £1k for rust repairs might change my plan back to searching for another one.

Just do it yourself Mike, it's pretty easy to use a melty stick after a few minutes practice.

I've been working on the van some more, it has had an EML come on that was bugging me and putting into limp mode occasionally.

Out came a skanky EGR, rotated the body 180 degrees and refitted, free blanking :)

2017-07-26%2012.59.27_zpsqkukt4xw.jpg

Then onto the next common issue, injector wiring. funnily enough somebody has been there before and made a hash of it so i sorted those out and added some conduit to protect

2017-07-26%2013.45.03_zpssvx8vfp9.jpg

I fitted a proper bonnet stay clip rather than that wire bodgef**kery

2017-07-26%2014.26.04-1_zpspeckvdaz.jpg

I also gave it a full service, added some Forte to the fuel and it was still flashing an EML. I stole a MAP sensor off the spares van and the problem was solved! 

Next to fit are some new plates, reverse camera, reverse sensors, screen, headunit, sub, ply lining and shelving for all my tools and other shite. I'm loving driving a van!

Oh and the Astra decided it didn't like its clutch whilst my girlfriend was driving to the midlands, not sure what the issue is as I fitted a new clutch, slave, hose and flywheel under 3 years ago so hopefully none of those are at fault! Recovery collected her but as they unloaded the car it started to roll off the back as the guy hadn't put the handbrake on... resulting in the car the rolling backwards and and the front end getting taken out as it dropped. 

2017-07-27%2022.40.31_zpsn7jldugq.jpg

Not quite sure where we stand with insurance, I said to wait until the garage have had a chance to see what the issue is with the clutch and if it's easy to fix then get it sorted (presumably insurance will want it to be a fully working car when assessing?) and claim as it'll likely be a write off as there is apparently damage to the rad pack. Kind of hoping thats the case as I really dislike that car!

10 hours ago, CurtisRider said:

Recovery collected her but as they unloaded the car it started to roll off the back as the guy hadn't put the handbrake on... resulting in the car the rolling backwards and and the front end getting taken out as it dropped. 

Surely the recovery company should pay for any damage they caused not your insurance?

Got a new daily for the next 4 days :D 

UYxKran.jpg

What I like most about it is that I can stream audio from Youtube to a Bose sound system. And it's an automatic. That's pretty much where my interest in road cars ends :) 

Thrashed a 991 996 and 997 around the track today. Will be doing the same tomorrow. Love this job so much 

• Like 9