The Car Thread

MadManMike

Heyup chaps! Thought this was a good place to ask. Just picked up a gem of a Micra for £300, it's mint underneath and has the mighty 1.4l engine, but it's really badly faded and the lacquer is chipping in places.

Are there any quick and easy ways of sorting it? I've seen what T-Cut can do (even though detailers seem to hate it) but I believe it won't do much to this because it's lacquered?

DSC_0195.thumb.JPG.61e60c2a643b318d4d2939662ed2fa44.JPG

DSC_0194.thumb.JPG.e8b52f6885e81422171e2b8a240c925b.JPG

DSC_0193.thumb.JPG.cacbd9e1d4398948f7ac297aa78c2656.JPG

On 7/28/2017 at 9:49 AM, Danny said:

Surely the recovery company should pay for any damage they caused not your insurance?

On 7/28/2017 at 11:14 AM, Tom Booth said:

Yeah if agree, it's for the recovery to pay unless you've signed a responsibility waiver.

They are covering it fortunately, also the clutch issue was just a popped hose so an easy fix! Selling the car once it's back, we just don't want it anymore and fancy an upgrade

K11 Micras are f**king awesome cars. Absolutely loved mine. I'd love to make a nutter budget build track car out of one with an SR20VE from an Almera GT and see how it gets on. Bet it could be done for under £1k taking into account some cheap wheels and some scrubbed semi slicks from ebay. One day... 

In civic news I've barely used it since last weeks outing at Cadwell. Gave it a once over and the rear brakes still appear to do very little, think I'm changing the master cylinder this time. R888 are dead but I was that impressed by the drive on them I'll be ordering 4. Hoping to get back to Cadwell before the end of the year. 

Needs a more asbo-esque rear silencer too, too quiet (lowest dB reading on sound check last Thursday!) It's still begging for Hondata management too to erk some more ponies from it. 

Straight pipe it. Job done.

Dual Viair 444c compressors and a 5gal tank ordered ready for me to start my boot build. It's currently on some turd of a tyre inflater and a 2gal tank that wipes out after 1 lift. I don't want loads of switch time but it's be nice to have some backup.

Got a boot plan sorted to allow some tool storage aswell as the air ride tucked away to try and keep it quiet too. Hoping to fit digital management later on too, switches are simple but it's a twat to get them balanced.

Yeah pretty much, stuff like airlift v2 kits have presents available so like 75psi frt/ 40 psi for cruising then 100 psi/60psi for manoeuvres.

I drove home from work today at 30psi front and 10psi rear just for the lol, drove like a mattress but was unbelievably comfy.

22 hours ago, SamKidney said:

K11 Micras are f**king awesome cars. Absolutely loved mine. I'd love to make a nutter budget build track car out of one with an SR20VE from an Almera GT and see how it gets on. Bet it could be done for under £1k taking into account some cheap wheels and some scrubbed semi slicks from ebay. One day... 

I love them! Fancy a project one at some point but for now I just want to keep them nice. Fitted my bluetooth stereo and wired in a mic last night so I can use the phone through the stereo now. (So useful).

This is my third one. Had a green 1998 1.3l GX 5 door, then a 2001 1.0l 3 door poverty spec thing (very gutless when towing my bikes on the trailer), but then the other day a 2002 1.4l 5 door SE+ came up. Every option on it you could get, and the underside has been painted with oil every year to protect it. 50k miles on it so I'm made up to get it for £300. Many years of life left in this one! Only downside is the paintwork, but I can live with that. It's pretty quick with 85hp or so. Just need to get the towbar swapped from the old car to the new one and it's ready to go!

I've seen a few use the SR20 engine, but they end up very front heavy. From what I've heard there's a 1.6 engine from an almera/primera which is a better match and can be turboed...

I thrashed the shit out of my x reg k11. 

1.0L, had no airbox on it at all for well over a year for the bwarps and straight piped. Chopped springs, cheap wheels. Handled like a go kart, was mega! Very rusty though... 

Big spring rates and some Polo front Coilovers cure the front heavy problem with SR20s in them. Even the 1.3s turbod are very nippy, just don't hold up well compared to something similar like a Starlet with the 4EFE 1.3 lump. 

Edited by SamKidney

Why I love yank imports..

20170807_161208.thumb.jpg.75aa16530396c98946d6b8208449889c.jpg

Other then the surface rust on the left I've got with a wire wheel and etch primed totally rock solid :lol:

Just flagging back now with the DA then gonna put fresh colour on tomorow ready for the new air tank rebuild. I don't want a show stopping finish in there just nice and new fresh colour

• Like 3

Making good progress on that car, Boothy :D

Mine is booked in for MOT on Thursday and I've found someone that will replace inner and outer sills as well as rear arches for £500, painted (Both sides!). He comes recommended too, so not a bodge job in a shed. I'm supplying the inner sills and I suspect he's buying those complete sill and arch panels, so keeps the cost down as there's no fabrication work to do.

Just need to get the engine running right next!

4 hours ago, MadManMike said:

Making good progress on that car, Boothy :D

Mine is booked in for MOT on Thursday and I've found someone that will replace inner and outer sills as well as rear arches for £500, painted (Both sides!). He comes recommended too, so not a bodge job in a shed. I'm supplying the inner sills and I suspect he's buying those complete sill and arch panels, so keeps the cost down as there's no fabrication work to do.

Just need to get the engine running right next!

Hopefully getting the arches sorted on this old wagon early September which will be good. I was painting the boot out today but it's pissing it down so gave up on that one. Turns out it's not a wet weather car too. Literally spins up at every junction!

20170809_160448.thumb.jpg.3a50b1e9328cff9fdd7e56889640e34e.jpg

Air tank painted (Just realised it looks like a bloody Clarke air compressor tank :lol: )

Twin Viair 444c turned up today, ordered stainless pipe for the hardlines, all fittings and parts I'll need. I've ordered carpet for the boot build too.

I can't decide wether to take the leap and just buy an Air lift V2 setup, but at the minute I think theres better things i could spend that money on..

Really looking forward to getting into this, shame I've got a wedding this weekend!

Have any of you ever used Speeduino as an even more budget alternative to Megasquirt? I have only just found out about it, it's an open source Arduino based board which is something I had pondered on playing about with myself, I started using an Arduino to control an air valve in the Porsche but never got any further with it. I'm interested in giving it a go as the Porsche needs some new bits which will exceed the boards cost anyway and it would make a nice little winter project to learn more about engine tuning.